After run oil application - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 10-06-2012, 06:04 PM   #11
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Gary L

Total Props: 30
Re: After run oil application

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I've made my own ARO for close to 30 years now from a 50/50 mix of ATF and air tool oil, (which is basically turbine engine oil). Both are commonly available at most auto supply and/or tool supply houses. I've tried a metal conditioner to help increase filming strength, but it was not really required and it gets pretty thick in cold weather.

This goes straight into the carb on 2-strokes at the end of every flying session and then cap both the carb inlet and exhaust outlet to prevent moisture from entering.

What aggravates this problem is when the environment changes during storage or travel as that temp change creates a "Breathing" effect within the motor, drawing in more atmospheric moisture. That is what causes the internal damage to ferrous parts since when combined with any nitro left behind it becomes highly corrosive.

With 4-strokes injecting ARO into the carb will obviously not be as effective as there is no direct path to the case/crank/valvetrain areas. The other problem is 4-strokes can retain a good portion of oil and other contaminants in the crankcase upon shut down and the vent is a difficult if not impossible location to add ARO, especially if the engine is partially or fully cowled. Any extra oil you add there will also have only that vent as an exit path, so overdoing it with ARO will not be a benefit the next time you fire it up. Does not mean it will not work, just in my experience it is more difficult to accomplish and will not be as effective as any 2-stroke.
I know there's money in aviation........I put it there!
Cougar429 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:05 PM   #12
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Norm
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8/DX7
# of RCs: 18+

Total Props: 5
Re: After run oil application

Hi Andy,

I have a friend that frequents the U.S he picks it up at Meijers.$3.99 for 1 quart.This oil will say for gas engines on the label.That is the one you want.
Keep Smilin Keep Flyin
There's No Life Like It!!!
Make Safety Priority #1
fsone is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.