Old 08-29-2012, 10:19 PM   #1
RCC Apprentice
I am: Zach H
Radio of choice:
Traxxas TQ 2.4GHz
# of RCs: 2

Total Props: 2
Question New To Free Flight

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hey Everyone, I recently built a free flight model. I built the Guillows Cessna 150. I don't know much a bout free flight. I was wondering how I trim the model? The instructions say to bend the rudder or elevators a bit to trim but i did that and it broke the glue and bending them doesn't really make sense. I also go so excited to have the model covered and painted that I flew it with out balancing it, it was tail heavy and when it got caught in the wind it stalled on an incline and came down in a nosedive. Is that normal? I re-glued everything and patch covered some spots then repainted it. Tomorrow I'm going to get clay and balance it the way it says in the instructions. But after that crash I'm worried about how its going to fly. I've never seen one fly and I can't find too many video on youtube. The crash that I had didn't seem to bad but it did damage. So I'm kind of worried about that. Also the rubber band in the model doesn't seam to created a lot of thrust? If someone could answer some of these questions and explain a bit about free flight it would be much appreciated.

-Traxxas Rustler VXL- -Hobby Zone Super Cub-
cordless33 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:06 PM   #2
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Terry L

Total Props: 6
Re: New To Free Flight

Good on youi to give freeflight a try, Zach. It can be a frustrating activity, but very rewarding once it has been mastered, I still have failures even after 65 years!

One of the best sites to visit is Small Flying Arts, it is almost entirely devoted to freeflight. An r/c site such as this doesn't attract much attention for obvious reasons.

First, follow the instructions, and balance is the most important trim of all. Second, I cheat and add "trim tabs" to the rudder and elevators with a cellophane tape "sandwich".

The rubber must be lubricated, otherwise it will break and destroy the fuselage. Nowadays I use WD-40, works well enough. Apply it AFTER you tie the ends together! When you tie them, use water as a lubricant, and tie an overhand knot, with a square knot on top.

One of the big mistakes is applying too much weight with finish. one coat of clear dope is usually enough; use coloured tissue for trim and accents, applied with clear dope.

Rubber power models look deceptively simple; they are not. If you want a rubber model that is built for performance, try the Guillows Lancer; I've had a couple of those fly away in thermals!
TLyttle is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.