Advice on propping a Fokker DR1, please. - Page 4 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Engines Discuss engines

Old 12-24-2012, 02:23 PM   #31
Lorne @
Authorized Vendor
★ Vendor ★
I am: Lorne L

Total Props: 11
Re: Advice on propping a Fokker DR1, please.

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Originally Posted by Detroit Dave View Post
I used 6 volt battery packs on all my planes that went in. I can't accept the broum out as the cause. One of the planes flew on 5 servos. Three were HS-81s and the other two were Futaba 3004s. Nothing to draw much power. The plane took off, was in the air about 15 seconds. I gave it a touch of right rudder and then nothing. The plane made a circle about a half mile in diameter and crashed back on the field. It went through the safety fence from the back side and just made the field. It was in the air for about 3 minutes. For a Mud Duck to make that big of a circuit at a walking pace takes a while. The whole time I was wiggling sticks trying to cut the throttle or get some control. The receiver never reset. The plane would have kept flying except the wind raised one wing. When the wing went up, the plane came down fast on a knife edge.
Now I fly park planes on the Spektrum and anything else gets 72 megahertz.
Here is the Mud Duck that went down. Stuff a foam plane as hard as that one went in and there isn't much left to work with.
The Mud Duck was bad enough, but the DR-I really hurt. When I dumb thumb a plane into the ground, I accept that. My mistake. When the radio lets it go in, it just Pi$$es me off big time.

I have seen a half dozen pilots in the last 3 years have huge problems with nimh batteries. They would put the radio on the charger, it would take a couple hundred milliamps and way they would go. The bat would quit. When trying to cycle the battery they would discover that it was practically dead. After a cycle or 2 the battery would come back up a little but not back to spec.

Have you cycled your batteries?
An absolute must with nimh batteries these days. ( poor quality I have had 3 out of 5 bad out of the package in last 6 years so gave up on them)
Canadian distributor for EME Engines, 3DHOBBYSHOP, GP ENGINES, PRO-FLOW 3D CANS, TDRC 20 AWG Servo Wires,
Also: Savox Servos, Hacker motors, Castle Creations, Falcon Props, SWB MFG, Smart-fly, 4titude Tanks
Lorne @ is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-25-2012, 01:07 AM   #32
Detroit Dave
RCC Apprentice
I am: Dave P
Radio of choice:
Futaba 9C
# of RCs: 28+

Total Props: 2
Re: Advice on propping a Fokker DR1, please.

The batteries were all fresh and cycled. Not real fond of the MiMH battery packs but they were all I could find in 6 volts at the time. I put that same pack on the cycler after I lost the DR-I and it discharged 2100 miliamps. The pack was a 2500 and it had only a short flight. It recharged almost 2200. One plane I lost was using a 2000 nicad that was only a couple months old. I did my best to eliminate all the variables and still lost planes. I'll be a 72 guy now for a long time. Let someone else chance their planes with 2.4

Close enough to Canada that I grew up watching HNIC. 12 minute drive to the Detroit/Windsor bridge.
Detroit Dave is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.