Swapping out NiMh for Life packs - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 09-09-2012, 10:01 PM   #11
Martyno
RCC Apprentice

I am: Martyn W
Radio of choice:
JR 9505
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 0
Re: Swapping out NiMh for Life packs

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuebner View Post
You are going to love them. I switched all my planes over to Life packs (Zippy Flightmax packs from HK) and they work great. Last forever on the shelf with next to no self discharge and last longer at the feild also.

Just make sure you fly a couple flights and charge and see how many mah you put back in the packs and then you can calculate your total number of flights available/pack from that. There is no way to really test the remaining capicity left in the packs any other way and they drop off rapidly when they reach the end.

Good luck and good choice
How do they compare to 2s 2300 A123s, size, weight and pricewise?
(I have started using them with no probs, instead of NiMH)
Do you charge them with a LiPo type charger?
Martyno is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:45 PM   #12
sibola
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★

I am: Ken N
Radio of choice:
JR 9503
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyno View Post
How do they compare to 2s 2300 A123s, size, weight and pricewise?
(I have started using them with no probs, instead of NiMH)
Do you charge them with a LiPo type charger?
That's what I actually use is a123's. Havnt tried life batteries them selves, but they are the same. Kinda like GMC and Chevys both the same ---- just come from different piles. Charging, any charger that will balance charge. Have to use a life setting on they charger though, totally different chemistry from lipos. Kinda like Dodges and Fords totally different. If you have charger that will charge lipos, there should be a setting for Life batteries, charging a123's you use the Life setting as well. Hope this help you and not totally screw you up
sibola is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:08 PM   #13
chuebner
Administrator
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★

I am: Curt H
Radio of choice:
Hitec

Total Props: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibola View Post
That's what I actually use is a123's. Havnt tried life batteries them selves, but they are the same. Kinda like GMC and Chevys both the same ---- just come from different piles. Charging, any charger that will balance charge. Have to use a life setting on they charger though, totally different chemistry from lipos. Kinda like Dodges and Fords totally different. If you have charger that will charge lipos, there should be a setting for Life batteries, charging a123's you use the Life setting as well. Hope this help you and not totally screw you up
Just to add to the above, I have never used A123's so cannot comment on those....just the LIFE packs from HK. I use the 2s-1100mah and 2500mah for RX's and I use the 3s-1800mah in my TX's and all have worked great.

Price....they are very cheap when compared to original A123 packs. The LIFE 2500mah pack is about $9.00 US, the 1100mah pack is about $4.00 US, the 1800mah TX 3s pack is about $10.00 US... I took a chance on these packs because of the price and have been rewarded with great service from the LIFE packs.

I have a couple extra new LIFE packs here if you want to give them a try. I have a 2500 and 2-1100 spares all new....if interested, drop me a PM and we can work out the details.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...iver_Pack.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ver_Pack_.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...4_TX_Pack.html

I fly Hitec, why...... because I wanna!!

Forum Rules Link
https://www.rccanada.ca/site-rules.pdf
chuebner is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Old 09-10-2012, 07:42 AM   #14
davecrash
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: David R
# of RCs: 99

Total Props: 6

I have been using these packs for about a year now. I use 2 1N4001 diodes on the ignition line to keep the voltage down.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:12 AM   #15
Martyno
RCC Apprentice

I am: Martyn W
Radio of choice:
JR 9505
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuebner View Post
Just to add to the above, I have never used A123's so cannot comment on those....just the LIFE packs from HK. I use the 2s-1100mah and 2500mah for RX's and I use the 3s-1800mah in my TX's and all have worked great.

Price....they are very cheap when compared to original A123 packs. The LIFE 2500mah pack is about $9.00 US, the 1100mah pack is about $4.00 US, the 1800mah TX 3s pack is about $10.00 US... I took a chance on these packs because of the price and have been rewarded with great service from the LIFE packs.

I have a couple extra new LIFE packs here if you want to give them a try. I have a 2500 and 2-1100 spares all new....if interested, drop me a PM and we can work out the details.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...iver_Pack.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ver_Pack_.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...4_TX_Pack.html
Thanks guys. All good info. There sure is a big price difference from what I have been paying for A123s. I am going to check my chargers for compatibility.
Martyno is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:06 PM   #16
bhughes
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: brodie h
Radio of choice:
Graupner mz 24
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 17

Started using life packs this summer I was tired of the high self discharge of the nimh. Love them,fast charging,charge tonight and tomorrow morning they might be down 8mah overnight.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in