New member again - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Beginners / Newbies Interested in getting in the hobby. Not sure where to start. Post your questions here and one of the RCCanada experts will be glad to help you out!

Old 09-09-2012, 09:25 AM   #1
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Brian P
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 0
New member again

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi folks,
Used to be an avid member about 4 years ago but had to give it up due to family obligations.
I'm back now and itching to get back in the air.Alot has changed since then!!
I'm looking to purchase new gear and a plane since I sold it all off.My question is this.
I see Alot of new radio systems out now featuring 2.4g.Are there any makes I should avoid?
For the time being I'm looking to keep from breaking the bank on a radio now and was looking at some of the cheaper systems like the skyfly?Should I avoid it or just get a higher end radio?
For the time being I only need a basic 6 ch.
Thanks for reading
Dirty..Mean..Mighty Unclean.
rc999 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-09-2012, 04:43 PM   #2
RCC Apprentice
I am: Dale K
Radio of choice:
spektrum dx5e
# of RCs: 7

Re: New member again

Hi Brian,

as far as transmitters go, the DX6i transmitter goes for about 170 (at my local hobby shot anyways) and has 6 channels, has an LCD screen on it, scaling on all controls ie. run everything at 70% max. from what I've read and been told, it will get you all the way to an advanced level of flight. i thought for $170 it was a pretty good deal, but i obviously don't know your budget range.

hope this helps
DKflight is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:29 PM   #3
RC Aviator
RCC Apprentice
I am: Steve M

Some of the better radios are JR, Spektrum, Futaba and Hitec. I use the Spektrum DX6I. Check the classifieds on this forum, and locally for a used radio. Spektrum and JR are compatible with the Orange RXs from HK.
RC Aviator is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-27-2012, 01:21 AM   #4
Midnight Heli
RCC Contributor
I am: Andre S.
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 9

Total Props: 2
Quebec Re: New member again

I started with a Spektrum DX6i and upgraded to a DX8 (the latest DX7 model is good also).
Reason: Upgradable firmware through the internet and has an SD card. This give you the chance to keep in memory on the SD card or on your PC an infinite amount of models. For the DX6i the firmware is upgradable only if you ship the radio to Spektrum and it only holds 10 different models. So if you want to add an 11th one, you will need to delete one and enter the new one manually.
Also if you plan to fly a CP nitro helicopter that has a speed governor, you will need a minimum of 7 channels and the DX6i has only 6.
For more complete info you can go read this
MAAC # 84893
Midnight Heli is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:12 PM   #5
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: brodie h
Radio of choice:
Graupner mz 24
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 17

Started with a dx7 upgraded to a jr 9303. Now I'm a jr fan, I find it easier to program then spektrum and it doesn't feel or look as cheap as spektrum. I'm not saying spektrum is cheap their great reliable raidios. it just gives me that feel ever since I switched to jr
"Trout Farm Flyers"
North Star Laser And Vinyl Works
MAAC # 83720

bhughes is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:35 AM   #6
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: Max P.
Radio of choice:
JR and Spektrum

Total Props: 149

I second the Dx6i as a good, beginner 2.4 radio.

Over the course of the last few years, I have bought about 6 of these now for my students and friends. Almost all were purchased used, many of them right here from RCC's buy and sell section. The best part is, a good used DX6i only costs about $100. The most I ever paid for one is $110.

The other reason the DX6i is a good radio is it works with the Bind-and-fly technologies that are being used in Parkzone aircraft.
RC Test Pilot; FPV Instructor, Airplane Instructor; Helicopter Instructor

My Aircraft Albums:

Last Photo added: Dec 15; Warwing Foamy for FPV
Max is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.