beginner rc plane? which one to buy - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 09-13-2012, 07:31 AM   #21
RCC Contributor
I am: Florin
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 25

Total Props: 1
Re: beginner rc plane? which one to buy

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
For the park: Alpha 450
For the club: Alpha 40 electric

Just read the review for Alpha 450:
MPX Ash26 4m, Habicht 2.6m, GP Patriot 46,Sig 1/4 Cub, Kadet Senior E, Something Extra, 4*40, Avistar, Alpha 40E, Sig Riser, Airtronics Olympic II, Goldberg Electra 2m, Dynaflite Butterfly 100, ElectriCub, E-flite Mini Pulse XT, Mayhem, Blade MCX, Rustler brushless, Micro High Roller, Micro Desert Truck, Littlest Stick, Dumas Red Lion, Little bolt
Florin is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:10 AM   #22
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Greg H
Radio of choice:
Not to sure anymore

Total Props: 3

I have trained a number of pilots with the Park Flyer type trainers at my club, and All have regretted their purchase for different reasons, including not able to fly in wind conditions , and the lack of ability to to take off and land their next larger planes ( .40 sized wood built up) the park flyer flight envelope doesn't prepare you for more complex and larger airplanes.( I have bought the club a Trainer that I use to train people who show up with unsuitable trainers )
That may be the case for you, however it's not always true for everyone. We have an all electric club here in Halifax, where most of the guys are quite happy with the park flyer style. I've also trained many people with small electrics and all were happy and grew and advanced with park flyers. Some of them have even joined the large scale clubs in the area and still only fly park flyer type aircraft.

It really does boil down to personal preference, flying style, and of course, monetary consideration. The best advice is to check out some local clubs and get a good face to face point of view, see some planes in action, and make a good informed decision.

greghatt is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:07 AM   #23
RCC Noob
I am: Zoltan

Total Props: 0

What I would buy:
- a good DSMX full range radio from hobbyhobby
- a good airframe from hobbyhobby, balsa or foam (small for park, larger for club)
- cheap, but OK electronics from (receiver, esc, brushless motor, servos, charger and batteries)
Those will cost less than $300 (for a park flyer, but more expensive for club size) and later, you can buy a low wing plane and move all electronics into the new one, so you have a new plane at the cost of the airframe. If you decide to join a club, you have a good radio already.

If you opt for a club, expect the cost to go up: a DECENT 40 size electric + 4 batteries + charger+ shipping + buddy box + cables + club membership + insurance will add up to $800-$900

If you buy a cheapo RTF (FM, brushed), you'll find out that there is nothing to move into a new airframe, so , your cheapo RTF will collect dust on the shelf and you'll spend more money on a new plane. Total waste of $150

I wouldn't buy a RTF. I would stick to 2.4 DSM2-X and brushless
Giant Scale Micro

Last edited by parkone; 09-13-2012 at 10:16 AM.
parkone is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:13 PM   #24
RCC Apprentice
I am: shaun kocher
Radio of choice:
spectrum dx6i
# of RCs: 3

the apprentice sucks in any wind over 5kmh go with nitro go to a club and lear, ive learned more flying a nitro powered plane in 3 weeks than i did a year of flying the apprentice.
flyingsquirrlemonkey is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:30 PM   #25
RCC Apprentice
I am: George Kaschuba
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 4

my son started with the Super Cub, then he had Easy star, now he is getting into the extra 300 try the Super Cub if you have never flown before is easy
towminator is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:01 PM   #26
RCC Apprentice
I am: Hugo T
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18SZ

ty for all the response, i end up giving up on buying any of the planes, i couldnt find places near by my location that i could fly, and i couldnt really find a local park big enough i could fly them in.... im now looking into RC helis, they seems to require less space for landing and stuff, do u have any any recommendations for that?
htse is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:03 PM   #27
RCC Contributor
I am: Allan X
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 12

you can start with an um j3 cub or champ
then move to a t28
IceRain29 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:32 PM   #28
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Scott R
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 22

I think it is best to stick with a pusher for any new flyer. Easystar/Bixler/Skysurfer or the other 5 same planes of the same config. If not that then my next choice would be the Parkzone supercub. But a newbie can expect irritation of nose overs, broken props and bent shafts with any tractor prop config. Also tougher to land on wheels than just on the belly, without causing damage.

For a first plane trainer, the radio doesn;'t matter too much. Probably best to have a 2.4GHz radio, but most of the $25 chinese ones will perform exactly the same as a Spektrum one for these purposes. Then the flyer can learn more about RC to make his own choice for a higher end radio later on.
bcsaltchucker is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.