FPV First Person View RC flying.

Old 09-19-2012, 10:07 PM   #31
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Scott R
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 20

Total Props: 22
Re: Long range FPV

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
a couple things. Plenty of solid FC+GPS out there. I use Naza+GPS and it has been incredibly solid and reliable. Basically makes it real hard to lose or crash the quad. The thing comes home and auto lands if the battery gets low. The thing returns to home on command or failsafe, always within 2 feet of its takeoff point, and the most gentle landings I've ever seen. Real nice!

I think the paradigm needs to be shifted a fair amount. I am not going to argue in favour of flying 10 km over a city or a busy piece of airspacce any day. Sorry that is not common sense and yes it takes research and knowledge to do any long range, BVLOS safely, and out of sight in isolation. Heck if I fly around to the front yard of my house, 4 ft off the ground I am BVLOS. If I fly across a lake 2 ft off the ground for a mile I am BVLOS. If I fly alone in the desert 100m away I am BVLOS. But this is still safe and not a hazard, imho.

on the theme of paradigm shift, I found this excellent post by a wise veteran FPVer on RCGroups today on the topic of LOS vs FPV:

Originally Posted by Daemon
I hesitate to jump into this, but here goes.
Why is it assumed by some that being able to visually see an "out of control model" is
less of a liability problem, than not being able to see an "out of control
model"? The plane's trajectory is not influenced by your ability to see it,
but your ability to control it.
From a liability perspective, why would an FPV plane having been flown a
a mile away, losing control and crashing be any different than a LoS piloted plane,
losing control, flying itself a mile away (or any other distance) and crashing? I've witnessed both.
The plane can't detect a difference. Whatever it hits, can't detect a difference.

As for the aircraft themselves, generally speaking (with very few exceptions) FPV planes
are softer (foam with pusher props) and flown slower than most LoS piloted aircraft
found at the typical RC field. It's a wash when compared to the average park flyer
of course, since many FPV planes are park flyer models.

Given equally average skilled pilots flying in a confined space (small suburban field surrounded by
trees, houses, powerlines, etc), I'd put my money on the FPV pilot every time to more easily
avoid those hazards. The FPV pilot doesn't have to guess where their plane is relative
to them. See and avoid. They just fly around/behind/over/under.. etc.. The problem of course, is
that the LoS pilot watching the FPV plane negotiate these obstacles effortlessly, will sometimes
*freak out*. They cringe every time they see any RC plane pass behind a tree
or set of powerlines, or the roofline of a house, but that comes from their own experience with the severe
limitations of LoS piloting where you can't *know* for sure the relative distance between plane and obstacle.
To the FPV pilot, passing between a couple trees 300 yards out, 3 feet off the ground
is no more challenging than driving a car on the street.
That's not to say that the FPV pilot might not choose to push the limits (lower/faster/closer),
but that's a human decision, not inherent in the technology. A LoS pilot can choose to
take the same risks (lower/faster/closer) and often do. The trash can full of planes at
the end of a typical day at the RC field tells me, they have no inherent advantage in control
or decision making ability.

on a final note, I guess I also worry about total newbies buying these RTF FPV systems, which can be found for under $400 complete. Not much stopping some kid from launching it at the end of a runway anywhere. That is not our fault, it is certainly not the fault of FPV. In fact most of the reactionary-response-to-FPV incidents involving encounters of RC planes by full scale planes have turned out to be non-FPV flyers EVERY TIME around the globe to this date, as far as I have read. That's with approx 5,000 FPV sorties around the globe per day, resulting in 0 encounters so far.

So my humble opinion is the fellow in Campbell River is a bit hasty and overreacting to the FPV paradigm shift.

Last edited by bcsaltchucker; 09-19-2012 at 10:19 PM.
bcsaltchucker is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-20-2012, 01:18 AM   #32
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Recursion
Radio of choice:
Taranis X9D Plus
# of RCs: 5

Total Props: 3

Well put.
Recursion is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:28 AM   #33
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Calvin Martini
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 7

Wow - the thread got somewhat dramatic and overheated overnight!

Since the original post was about long range flight, MAAC and Transport Canada doesn't really belong here except as a reference. Since many of us fly beyond visual line of sight and without a spotter, we are not compliant with MAAC or Transport Canada. This despite the fact that we are generally compliant people. Forget the fact that a handful of us actually experiment with full UAVs, or that some enable UAV controlled flight on their aircraft in case of emergency.

The MAAC insurance product offers nothing for most FPV pilots and the actual benefits are currently effectively limited to representation in dealings with government (worth paying for, IMHO).

It's new, fun, interesting, exciting, challenging and largely uncharted territory. FPV is literally a new perspective on RC flight, it's growing at a fantastic rate and is reshaping the hobby and regulatory environment. These changes are permanent. Some don't like it, but that doesn't change the facts.

The typical recreational FPV pilot today has integrated a lot of technology and has experience in multiple disciplines. The majority of them have a lot of experience and far more knowledge and practical experience with amateur radio than many LOS pilots. This is really not something where you can truly be successful without having put in the time. No off-the-shelf ready-to-fly system for $400 is going to produce good results, especially in the hands of a beginner - the vast majority of these will be lost or destroyed within the first two minutes of flight, just as with LOS RTF aircraft.

I`ve got well over $1300 and countless time invested in my FPV spider quad. I certainly have no intention of being careless or reckless with it.

Last edited by martinic; 09-20-2012 at 07:34 AM.
martinic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:55 AM   #34
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: mike hocksinner
Radio of choice:
hitec a-9
# of RCs: 12

Total Props: 2

mj and others in the old school are afraid of what they don't understand. the government will make it illegal if allowed by the people effectively destroying the ability of law abiding or compliant folks to learn and develop this growing field. it will not stop the reckless or lawless as they don't care what rules are in place. if you are hell bent on destruction, you will create it. i doubt the fpv community is full of these types. continue to use good judgement and problems will be few. government is unnecessary if we are all to use good judgement tempered with TOLORANCE. hats off to you fpv community! keep the footage flowing.
groo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:28 AM   #35
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Calvin Martini
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 7

Don't worry about what you can't control - it's pointless. If it's not within your ability to affect, don't sweat it. All we can do is our part and be responsible and safe.
martinic is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:45 PM   #36
RCC Apprentice
I am: Euan Reid
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 1

Too many laws to be a law abiding citizen these days...
Torque66 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:40 AM   #37
RCC Apprentice
I am: AJ S

Total Props: 0

npt sure if this has been asked before.
but what frequency do you do long range fpv on?
as well as what dbi is best? & type of antenna? thanks
ARMan is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.