Landing Gear Attachment Ideas - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Giant Scale Aircraft Discuss Giant RC Scale Aircraft.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:44 PM   #1
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Brian Fisher
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 14

Total Props: 3
Landing Gear Attachment Ideas

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I'm proposing 3 techniques to attach the landing gear to my NEW 100cc plane.

Last summer I landed my AEROWORKS EXTRA 260 in heavy grass and the landing gear completely ripped off INCLUDING a significant part of the fuselage. The fuselage ended up being not repairable.

Option #1A

Use 4 large PLASTIC 1/4-20 bolts so in the event of a semi-hard landing the gear bolts will break and the gear will come off. Yes some damage might occur to the underside of the wing as the wheels might punch thru the covering.

Option #1B

Or use 8-32 wood screws and hope that they rip out of the wood supporting the landing gear. Again, the wheels might damage the undersize of the wing.

Option #2

Use the 4mm (10-24) steel bolts that come with the plane and hope that the gear stays attached.

Option #3

Any other insights or ideas from the RCCANADA group.
Brian Fisher
Parry Sound Ontario

Last edited by BAMDFISHER; 09-18-2012 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Spelling
BAMDFISHER is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:02 PM   #2
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Brad E.
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS-16
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 41
Re: Landing Gear Attachment Ideas

Not !!!!!!! option 1A

On a 100cc plane, the gear will break free just taxiing and hitting a rough spot.

I have seen nylon bolts break on a .60 size plane on a rough field
Let Me Think About It

Brad Egan MAAC 48597
Bdegan is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:07 PM   #3
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gordon W
Radio of choice:
JR28x, JRXG11
# of RCs: 15+

Total Props: 30

I would suggest option 3: strengthen the gear area like a BBT Carden! Many of the ARF's are woefully inadequate in terms of the amount of glue and attention to detail in building a gear mount that will hold up over the long run. This is one of the major reasons (among other) that I generally only build my own.
IMAC Team Canada 2014
JR Americas - Team Pilot - visit them at
Trumpetman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:46 PM   #4
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Bill M

Total Props: 0

i agree with trumpetman, get your self some carbon fiber rods and strengthen the existing area ala BBT, after my second tear out in a week on my beast i have done extensive reinforcement.
There is no such thing as too low
Team Yak
Team "M"
WildBill is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:49 PM   #5
★ Site Supporter ★
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: William A
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 62

I'm still waiting for Hank to install retracts in his.

''engine hoarder''
williame3590 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:29 PM   #6
Nick Milligan
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Nick Milligan

Total Props: 9

I vote option 1C
#8*32 or M3 machine screws into 1/2" thick hardwood. (Ala Carden)
I watched a friends 40% take a spill and the gear ripped out cleanly without damaging the fuse too much. If the gear were in there any sturdier, the entire bottom may have been ripped out.... Like mine was the other weekend :P

Nick Milligan is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:28 PM   #7
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Rob B

Total Props: 4

Interesting topic! In my opinion, the design of model aircraft generally does not sufficiently account for crash resistance and ease of repair & undercarriage is one of the biggest culprits.

Not sure if it's applicable to giant scale planes but on my 52" Extra I have 3/16" hard rubber tap washers between the undercarriage & the mounting block. They seem to provide enough flex to absorb the shock of a slightly misjudged landing. At least since installing them I have not pulled the block out whereas before it had happened a couple of times.

On my first giant scale (89" H9 Carden YAK) I bought a set of CF gear to replace the stock aluminum gear. It saved 1/2 lb in weight but equally importantly is much more flexible & able to absorb some of the impact of a less than perfect touch down.

rbwater is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:39 AM   #8
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Brian Fisher
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 14

Gas Re: Landing Gear Attachment Ideas

Here is another idea.

There has to be a failure spot; SO the challenge is how to build it into the design.

What about using 10-24 BRASS machine screws. Stronger than plastic but weaker than steel.

Hopefully they will bend or break before the landing gear support area breaks away from the fuselage.

I like the idea of adding carbon fibre rods for additional strength to the landing gear area.

Brian Fisher
Parry Sound Ontario
BAMDFISHER is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:35 AM   #9
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Trevor B
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10+

Total Props: 58

Just my thoughts....

As you make one area stiffer / stronger the forces just move a little further away and break the adjacent area. So IMO, you need a failure-point

The trick is getting a design that has a strong enough structure that's stronger than the failure point and a failure point that can handle 99% of the bad landings without letting go.

I love the Carden design, especially the new PRO... they've been at this game for years and years and constantly are tweaking their designs to get that perfect balance.

I think the balance is making a motorbox structure that's nearly indestructible (ala - Carden PRO or 35/40/43% Carden w/ CF) and using 8-32 bolts tapped into hardwood rails.

I tried 10-32bolts once and they grip too much and the failure point becomes stronger than the structure around it. If you can't beef up your structure enough with CF and Oak , you may have to consider 6-32 bolts for a bit less grip, since I'd rather loose a gear and cause some surface damage to the fuse (from the wheel pants) than to break a motorbox.

Just my opinion though... excited to see what you decide!!

Visit my

Sponsored By:
ThunderBolt R/C
Hot Wire Foam Factory
B&E Graphix
Carden Aircraft
AirMan Wheels
Pro R/C
TBrum is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:31 AM   #10
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Phil Schulte
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 40+

I am in agreement with tbrum that stiffening one area just moves the forces out further. It may cause even more damage. On smaller planes I use the plastic bolts as they hold up to most landing except the really hard ones. I recall reading about someone useing rubber isolation mounts like what you find on some motor mounts to lessen the initial shock when the wheels hit the ground. Of course on no bounce landings everything is still coming out.
pschulte is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.