|09-25-2012, 01:15 AM||#1|
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: James J
Join Date: Sep 2012
Radio of choice:
AIRtronics 2.4/JR 2.4g
# of RCs: 10
Feedback: 3 / 100%
Total Props: 0
Building 2 piece cowl SIG edge 540??
Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi all , I am wondering if any has taken a 1 piece cowl and made it into a 2 piece. I like the way that say comp arf has the top section pull off and the bottom stays put.. If some one has photos( or know where to look) help me out..
|09-26-2012, 10:55 PM||#2|
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gordon W
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 15+
Feedback: 33 / 100%
Total Props: 30
Re: Building 2 piece cowl SIG edge 540??
OK, since no one has jumped in here I will give it a try. The first question to ask is do you really want to go through all of the work to split the cowl and then mount it for a small plane? This will certainly add dead weight to the plane. If you have decided to go ahead here is how I would do it.
1. carefully mark and then cut the cowl with a dremel cutoff attatchment.
2. coat the inside of the top piece with several coats of PVA mold release fluid making sure to coat the cut edge of the upper cowl as well.
3. tape the two parts of the cowl together.
4. lay up a fiberglass flange on the inside of the cowl spanning across the cut by at least 3/4" on either side of the cut. The fiberglass will stick to the lower cowl section but it will not attach to the upper section (because of the mold release). Let everything harden for a day or two and then pull apart the two cowl sections.
5. glue some small squares of 1/8th inch ply on the back side of the flange (this is where the screws will go through to hold the sections together).
6. with the cowl peices back together drill pilot holes through the cowl pieces into the plywood backing plates and then install the small screws to hold them together.
7. determine how the cowl will be mounted to the firewall. You are on your own here because I have no idea how Sig has setup this area of the plane.
hope this helps
IMAC Team Canada 2014
JR Americas - Team Pilot - visit them at www.jramericas.com
|Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|30% Edge 540 cowl (FOUND ONE, NO LONGER REQUIRED)||itizme||Wanted - Other||0||05-24-2012 09:19 PM|
|edge 540 cowl||jeannie1||FS - Airplanes||1||01-17-2008 08:10 PM|
|Looking for an Edge 540 Cowl||Jagzilla||Wanted - Airplanes||0||03-31-2007 09:05 PM|
|Cowl and gear for airwild edge 540||Colyn||Wanted - Other||0||08-05-2006 09:09 AM|
|H9 Edge 540 Cowl.||KKA||FS - Airplanes||1||07-28-2004 05:19 PM|