Building 2 piece cowl SIG edge 540?? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Giant Scale Aircraft Discuss Giant RC Scale Aircraft.

Old 09-25-2012, 01:15 AM   #1
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: James J
Radio of choice:
AIRtronics 2.4/JR 2.4g
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 0
Question Building 2 piece cowl SIG edge 540??

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi all , I am wondering if any has taken a 1 piece cowl and made it into a 2 piece. I like the way that say comp arf has the top section pull off and the bottom stays put.. If some one has photos( or know where to look) help me out..

Minty is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:55 PM   #2
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gordon W
Radio of choice:
JR28x, JRXG11
# of RCs: 15+

Total Props: 30
Re: Building 2 piece cowl SIG edge 540??

OK, since no one has jumped in here I will give it a try. The first question to ask is do you really want to go through all of the work to split the cowl and then mount it for a small plane? This will certainly add dead weight to the plane. If you have decided to go ahead here is how I would do it.

1. carefully mark and then cut the cowl with a dremel cutoff attatchment.
2. coat the inside of the top piece with several coats of PVA mold release fluid making sure to coat the cut edge of the upper cowl as well.
3. tape the two parts of the cowl together.
4. lay up a fiberglass flange on the inside of the cowl spanning across the cut by at least 3/4" on either side of the cut. The fiberglass will stick to the lower cowl section but it will not attach to the upper section (because of the mold release). Let everything harden for a day or two and then pull apart the two cowl sections.
5. glue some small squares of 1/8th inch ply on the back side of the flange (this is where the screws will go through to hold the sections together).
6. with the cowl peices back together drill pilot holes through the cowl pieces into the plywood backing plates and then install the small screws to hold them together.
7. determine how the cowl will be mounted to the firewall. You are on your own here because I have no idea how Sig has setup this area of the plane.

hope this helps
IMAC Team Canada 2014
JR Americas - Team Pilot - visit them at
Trumpetman is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.