onxy235 charger "input mah" is high even though cells read 3.3v to start - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electric RC Car and Truck Discussion Discuss electric RC vehicles

Old 09-26-2012, 09:28 PM   #1
RCC Noob
I am: Ryan M
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 3

Total Props: 0
onxy235 charger "input mah" is high even though cells read 3.3v to start

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!

I have recently purchased venom 4000mah lipos both 20c and 40c. I use an onxy 235 charger and i have balanced each charge and only charged at a rate of 1c. I have an rtr sc10 with the included xp700 esc that has a 3.0v lipo cutoff. I just recently ran my 40c battery to the cutoff (it actually got slower before cutting out for abour 30-45 seconds, is this normal?) . when i went to charge it back up later the next day, the charger read initial volt readings of around 3.3v in each cell however the total mah it delivered to the pack (when judging by the delivered mah that is read out by the onxy 235) it said 3965. this makes it seem like the pack was disharged basically to empty.... is this normal? or does the delivered mah on the onxy235 read the total in without accounting for discharging? meaning it discharged in order to balance, and if it took a while to balance so then the input mah would be an overestimate of what has actually been stored in the pack... i hope thats not too confusing... i just dont want to wreck the packs, and im worried that associated has programmed an incorrect cutoff in this esc.. or venom has underquoted the mah of this pack.. which i doubt

mitcherr is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:04 AM   #2
RCC Noob
I am: Stefan F
Radio of choice:
Traxxas TQi
# of RCs: 2

Total Props: 0
Re: onxy235 charger "input mah" is high even though cells read 3.3v to start

Your post is kinda confusing to me. However you should be able to program the charger to the correct mah for your battery. So if the lipo is 5000 mah you should set up your charger to to charge the battery to 5000mah. You can also set your amps for the charger usually 3 to 5 amps (or more to speed up how fast the battery charges). Also if you charger can charge multiple types of batteries e.g. NiMH or NiCd etc.. Make sure its set for lipo. One more thing is cell count so if the battery is 2s (2 cells) or 3s etc You can tell how many cells by the voltage so 2s would be 7.4 volts 3s would be 11.1 etc...

Hope this makes sense and good luck
Stefan1975 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:42 AM   #3
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Chris S
# of RCs: 8

Total Props: 2

I wouldn't worry about it.

In the past I've run my 5000mAh right to the cut off and they'll take 5500mAh (seems the packs I have are actually underrated by about 10%) back on charge.

Not really a good idea to run your batteries right down to the cutoff though, they'll stay happier a little longer if leave some juice in it..
Chris.S. is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:51 PM   #4
Jamie James
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Jamie G
Radio of choice:
Futaba 3PKS
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 2

the reason your charger read 3.3v is because there was no load on the battery. Your ESC is measuring the voltage of the pack. But While on the throttle the voltage drops under load. So while accelerating, the voltage probably dropped to under 3.0v.
Jamie James is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.