Battery Backup - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Electronics Discuss radios, chargers, etc...

Old 11-25-2012, 08:53 AM   #11
RCC Master Contributor
I am: A L

Total Props: 9
Ontario Re: Battery Backup

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Here are a few examples

There are a few more on the site.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	REG-SW.jpg-580433751.jpeg
Views:	39
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	178766   Click image for larger version

Name:	Twin-UBEC.jpg1918547590.jpeg
Views:	35
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	178767  
Do not be divided from the truth by what you would like to Believe!
Dangaras is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:23 AM   #12
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Dave Z
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 17
Re: Battery Backup

Originally Posted by Max View Post
Lets not confuse "Dual Power" with "Backup Power"

Dual power systems run 2 batteries at the same time, drawing power from both batteries at the same time. This helps power models with power-hungry servos. So far so good. It can also be implied that if one of the batteries fails, the other battery can take over. Understood. But all the examples so far are still DUAL Batteries "on" at the same time.

The OP asks : "Is there a device out there that SWITCHES from one battery to another in case the first one dies". I'm curious. Is there such a beast? So far, all I have seen here (and all I have been able to find in my searches) are dual power setups with both batteries on at the same time.

Lets be constructive here, folks. Maybe dual power is all one really needs, but has anyone ever seen a switching backup power system?
Yes, I was originally looking for something to switch from one battery to another... but upon further evaluation of this, thought, well, that still leaves a single device between the battery and the receiver, which is my concern that during a failure, is catastrophic. And yes, I found there is a device like this that exists.

Somebody posted a link to the battery sharing device though Thunderbolt RC... this is the route I'm going to go, and actually seems to make a bit more sense. Yes, it draws from both, but should one pack fail, there is still a second pack. Yes, it's still a single device between a receiver and a battery, but the design of a sharing device is so simple that some form of failure that will entirely kill power to the receiver is highly unlikely.
HAL9KPCM is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:36 PM   #13
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Dave Z
Radio of choice:
Futaba 18MZ
# of RCs: 6

Total Props: 17
Re: Battery Backup

Well, just a final update... I went with the 2 PAC battery sharing device from Thunderbolt RC and took advantage of the free shipping promo and ordered a few other things as well. Well, when it arrived, slight problem... there was a manufacturing flaw where it was supposed to have two receiver leads, but there was only one. A quick e-mail to Thunderbolt on a Friday evening where I wasn't expecting a reply until Monday, but had a reply within the hour from Jeff at Thunderbolt RC. He shipped me out a replacement with a return shipping label and I had the replacement the following Friday. Fantastic service... something you don't find enough of these days.

Thanks Jeff!
HAL9KPCM is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.