What will you be building this winter - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Aircraft Discussion Discuss anything RC related

Old 10-04-2012, 07:42 PM   #1
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Norm
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8/DX7
# of RCs: 18+

Total Props: 5
Thumbs up What will you be building this winter

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I will be building the Seagull Extra 260 ARF,this winter.The kit is well built lots of wood.I like seagull kits this is my 2nd one 72" wingspan.I will be powering it with the reliable O.S 1.60FX with a VP30 Perry Pump this combination has worked well for me on my larger aircraft.My other kit is the Edge540 78' wingspan also a well made kit.Won't be long now starting to get the itch to get at it.If you want to keep some dollars in your wallet the seagull kits provide well built good flying planes without breaking the bank.
Keep Smilin Keep Flyin
There's No Life Like It!!!
Make Safety Priority #1
fsone is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:49 PM   #2
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Scratch Builder Sam
Radio of choice:
Spectrum DX18
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 13
Re: What will you be building this winter

Super Constellation is just about finished, wow 6 long years of building this model and learning a lot in between from few key scratch builders with amply building knowledge. Well i'll be working back on my big edf Concorde model plus i may very well start on Ziroli DC3 from short kit and fiberglass parts.
Struts1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:02 PM   #3
RCC Contributor
I am: Chancey C
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 2

Does my answer have to be honest?

I PLAN on building my Kadet Seniorita kit this winter, but no promises. I will however do some work on it for sure (tail surfaces and possibly wings, as I am a SLOW builder with short attention span. S.A.S. is defined by seeing a new foamy plan, stopping one than starting another). I will probably finish off another foamy that was started mid 2011. And since my hobby room is getting full, I plan on finishing off a Guillows kit that was started in 2006, just needs final assembly and covering. This is however a tentative plan, subject to change.
NEW222 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:30 PM   #4
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Kevin Drayson
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: n+1

Total Props: 7

#1 project is going to be an Aerotech Phoenix, a rocket-boosted glider.

Conventional airplane-wise, I have a couple of Guillows kits I want to try to convert to electric R/C, and a couple of smaller Stevens Aero birds - although I'm hoping to maybe get one or two of those done before indoor season starts in earnest.

Finally, I have a Hangar 9 Corsair 50 to assemble, and their Spitfire I plan on setting up for electric. Waffling over whether I want to try installing a sound system in either or both...
CF105 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:33 PM   #5
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Arn H
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8/DX7
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 16

Good ? Norm ..... I'm thinking it's time to go back to "Old School" and take a break from the Sbach's, MXS's, Extra's, Edges', CAP's & Jackals etc etc ....

I have stashed away the following stick builds .....

1) Ben Buckle - Buccaneer Std. 66"w/s - I'm not completely convinced that I want to take the time machine back that far ... if there is a real old time enthusiast out there with real interest .... drop me a pm ....
2) Senior Telemaster - 95"
3) Sig J3 105"w/s
4) UH J2 84"w/s .40 to .60 (recommendation for engine - Ok Joe - have another dube ) -- I'm thinking OS 1.20AX ... no need to fly full power ...

At least one of 2,3 or 4 will be ready by the spring ...

"I started life with nothing and I still have most of it left."
Arn is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:42 PM   #6
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Chris K.

Total Props: 3

I will be finishing of a Peter Rake Be12a, hopefully quite soon and then starting in on a Balsa USA 1/4 scale Sopwith Pup that I plan on finishing in the scheme of one that my Grandfather flew. Hopefully it will be ready by next spring but may take longer.

Plus a few repairs to already built planes.
Cricklewood is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:44 PM   #7
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Gary L

Total Props: 30

On the subject of rockets I recently acquired a pristine, still sealed ESTES anniversary Saturn V that is currently going together. It will be a Christmas present for one of my grandsons and if I have time I will also assemble and include the Revell CSM/LM diorama I have had hidden away for so many years. He's interested in space exploration and the planets, so this should be perfect.

For myself I plan on the Mitsubishi A6M Zero. The only thing left to grab is a Saito 62 and a scale spinner. After that it will be continuing to plug away at the Seawind. One wing is complete and the other not far behind. The fuse will be a lot of work as I am moving as many systems forward to address the aft CofG, (this included the fuel tank traditionally behind the engine).

Those are a big if and only in the queue if I've finally addressed all the problems that cropped up this summer. Rare Bear has new wings, the F-15 a new engine and hopefully the soon to be completed Harvard gear mod, (#4 now) will work right.

That also depends on how restrained I am at the upcoming London Swap Meet.........
I know there's money in aviation........I put it there!
Cougar429 is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:28 PM   #8
★ Site Supporter ★★ Administrator ★
I am: Curtis H
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 53

I have nothing slated for the building board this winter. Other than routine maintenace on my existing fleet of airframes and swapping over a motor or two, nothing really on the go.

I may just pull my GP F14 Tomcat out of the rafters and finally get it sanded and covered.....but I have been saying that for over 5 years now

If I really feel ambitious, I still have my F22 Raptor wings that I want to make into a flying wing....but we will see how that goes too

You can fly Hitec or use the other "low tech" stuff!!

Forum Rules Link
chuebner is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:19 PM   #9
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Ross T
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 15

Total Props: 4

Now that the building season has arriven with a bang in snowy Manitoba,it's back to the MRAerodesign Beaver from last winter, and the Astro Porterfield Collegiate already well under way.
Please weather gods, just a few more flying days...pleaseeeeeeeee.
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!
"Do or do not...there is no try"
roscoe is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:02 AM   #10
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Jason U
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 9

I'm only a year and a half into this hobby (was also into nitro years ago in high school) and find myself building flat foamies. They seem to multiply like they were rabbits or something.

My build project for this winter though is one of these:

I stumbled across it on the RCG classified forums from a guy that was having a garage sale of sorts. I managed to see this sitting there and nabbed it. It's a laser cut kit from 2003 era back when brushless inrunners and planetary gear/drives were 'in'. The original thread is here:

Amazingly, I managed to track down the designer of the plane and was able to get some tips and insight into its history. Really nice guy!

I've started building and I can't believe how well things are fitting together - better than any wooden puzzle I've ever done! There are no plans, but they are not needed because the kit is so well designed.

I just wish he still made them - though he did make some mention of maybe designing another one he'd been thinking about. Oh, and there are others of his designs out there.... equally interesting.

Sorry for the long post.... but someone asked .

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Darth_Smaul_stockImage.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	167783   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00777-20120920-2216.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	374.9 KB
ID:	167784  
MAAC# 32586
Hobbyking.com Buddy Codes: All my buddy-codes on RCSearch.info
London Wind Mapper Weather
uberjay is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.