I've been told "bigger flies better" BUT you forgot some vital info. - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Beginners / Newbies Interested in getting in the hobby. Not sure where to start. Post your questions here and one of the RCCanada experts will be glad to help you out!

Old 10-08-2012, 04:54 PM   #11
Dave Holmes
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Dave Holmes
Location: Prince Edward County, Ontario (no longer Brampton!)
Radio of choice:
Futaba 72 Mhz
# of RCs: 30+

Total Props: 10
Re: I've been told "bigger flies better" BUT you forgot some vital info.

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Originally Posted by mikecoul View Post
Hi Larry
I have used this in the past.

Did not have it installed in the Chipmunk.
Something to keep in mind with these little "Lost Model Alarms"; the piezo sounders in them can be very loud, but something as thin as a sheet of paper placed over the little hole cuts the volume drastically. I have built several, and even used them from time to time. If you just plug 'em in and drop them inside the fuse, you'll be very lucky to hear it ten feet away. You might as well go with the old "wiggle the sticks and see if you hear the servos" trick. The sounder has to be "vented" to the outside air. In my case, I cut a circular hole the size of the sounder in the bottom of my LT-40 and gooped it in place. Then I could hear it fifty feet or more away.

All this does not matter, however, if like me, you put the model in hard enough that everything gets unplugged from the receiver.
Dave Holmes

The older I get, the better I used to be!
Dave Holmes is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:13 PM   #12
Level 3 Supporter
★ Site Supporter ★
I am: Kevin Drayson
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: n+1

Total Props: 7

Might want to consider some form of radio tracking. Most of the items at the site below require an amateur radio licence, but they also have some 900MHz GPS locators as well. The 70cm unit is quite rugged - I saw one that had free-fallen from about 9,000' AGL and was still functional... which is much more than could be said the the rocket it had been installed in!

CF105 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:11 PM   #13
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Larry
Radio of choice:

Total Props: 14

Dave I was smart enough to mount them either on the outside of the planes or in the case of my Apprentice it's now in the rear with the buzzer sticking out into the open air. I've also had a second style of buzzer mounted on a couple of planes (from HobbyKing) but they weren't loud enough to be of help with my poor hearing.

Kevin that's very interesting & I'll do my homework on them. The license isn't an issue because my neighbor (who owns the land I fly from) has one & intends to learn to fly.
My guide to R/C photography.

R/C & full scale albums http://www.flickr.com/photos/96950645@N04/albums
cicopo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:24 PM   #14
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Darrell B
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 10

Total Props: 1

Same issue when I had been flying my GP Electrifly DR1 for a 2 days straight trying to get all the bugs out it. I then switched over to my GP Electri-cub, which has a wing span 2 times the size of the DR1, and promptly landed it onto the top of a 60' Poplar! I knew from the DR1, the room I had in perspective to its size, but totally forgot to adjust for the larger Cub.
Xanadu is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:12 AM   #15
RCC Supreme Contributor
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 13

Total Props: 58

I've been told "bigger flies better" BUT you forgot some vital info.

Good point! The statement should be qualified with "but you will need a bigger field!"

One thing I am constantly struggling with when teaching beginners it to "BRING THAT THING BACK WHERE WE CAN SEE IT!!" Every one seems to want to fly way out there. I suspect there was a bit of that going on in this case. We never seem to realize how far away a plane is until suddenly - what's it doing?

Personally, I like to have my wrecks close by so I can just bend over & scoop it all into a bag!
Hang time does not apply to ceiling fans, light fixtures, overhead door tracks or basketball nets!

Last edited by OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK; 10-10-2012 at 07:46 PM.
OLD PRAIRIE RED NECK is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:10 AM   #16
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Brad E.
Radio of choice:
Jeti DS-16
# of RCs: 4

Total Props: 41

Originally Posted by cicopo View Post
Hey Brad, just imagine how far out I might try flying your Ultimate before turning back! If I were you I'd hold onto the TX tightly next time I'm coming toward you on the flight line.

LOL. No worries

It is a strange feeling flying a big plane close to yourself in the beginning.
Then you start to like it
Let Me Think About It

Brad Egan MAAC 48597
Bdegan is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.