Has anyone actually got an SOFC - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Aerial Photography/Video Discuss and exchange ideas about aerial photography and video in Canada.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:23 PM   #1
RCC Noob
I am: Russel l

Total Props: 0
Has anyone actually got an SOFC

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Wondering if anyone here has applied or been granted an SOFC for aerial photography, its clearly a lot of work, and wondering what sort of hoops TC made you jump through

399agl is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:39 PM   #2
RCC Noob
I am: Mike B
# of RCs: 4

Re: Has anyone actually got an SOFC

I have been researching and preparing for starting my Aerial Photography and Video business here in the sunny Okanagan and Shuswap area of BC for a while now.

I just got off the phone with the Transport Canada Rep for the Pacific region literally about an hour ago.

If you do your research and submit the paperwork to their satisfaction, and can demonstrate that you are working with them, it appears that it won't be too difficult. The worst part is the delay or wait times. Which in this case, sound not to bad with a general time frame of a few days to a week or two depending on how busy he is. (One guy doing this job out here for the whole region.) They have a max timeframe of about 20 days.

He also mentioned that once you display and demonstrate a profeciency in assessing your own risk and proper useage or management of everything involved, they can then (at their own judgement) grant you a permit for longer/wider standing operations with only the need of filing or giving notice of your operations. A pre-approval pretty much, which you would only need to let them know where and when etc, general plan.

Sounds pretty resonable to me. They seem to be doing the best they can to allow the industry to continue, and are working on growing and understanding that completely locking things down is not the right way to go. They seem to give the serious people who want to do this stuff, the way to do it in an organised way, and with time, allow you to run more self policing with your operation when you show them you are able to.

Pretty much, have insurance and stay away from places where there is lots/any people. (And also stay safely away from aircraft etc.) They just want to make sure everyone is safely flying these things.

I have not filed anything yet as I am still awaiting my gear... But there are places on the web (google it) that will show you examples of the forms etc.

Google "sfoc example application"
Deejay is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:44 PM   #3
RCC Noob
I am: Mike B
# of RCs: 4

I also asked about shooting video for my own use promotionally. He said that the definition of "for reward" in the rules also means that video you shoot yourself that you are not getting actually paid money for, is technically "for reward" because you would use it for promotional shots to advertise your business etc.

So those types of vids (promotional etc) would probably be better done by taking vid or shots from your paying jobs that you file/approve with SFOC...

On the other hand, if you just want to fly, are not using vid for promotional etc, and no money is changing hands... For training etc... You only need property owner permission to do so. (no sfoc) Use common sense with safety etc. In my case I have friends with a 10 acre farmland plot which would be perfect for flight training and familiarization etc.
Deejay is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:45 PM   #4
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Buffy

Total Props: 15

Yup, if you can demostrate that your a safe operator and you take saftey seriously, you should have a good relationship with TC and smooth sailing.
buffythesaint is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.