Custom Wing bags, how to make them? - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Fixed Wing Discuss fixed wing aircraft.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:32 PM   #21
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: eric q
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: too

Total Props: 26
Re: Custom Wing bags, how to make them?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Originally Posted by Arn View Post
Seems good quality ... quilted and filled ... Have to follow up on "moo's" lead at Home Depot later ...

$13.99, 72 X 80"
desiderantes meliorem patriam
To err is human, to moo is bovine
moo is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:45 PM   #22
Gary Maker
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Gary M.
Radio of choice:
Spektrum DX8
# of RCs: 7

Total Props: 9

My wife is a seamstress and often goes to her favourite fabric store for materials. I decided to go along with her on one of her outings and while browzing through rows and rows of rolled fabrics, I found a material that is perfect, strong and durable.

I purchased enough to make a set of bags for my AW Yak 54 wings. I also purchased some material that is used in the center of quilts plus a material for an inner liner. So these bags I made were 3 ply. I just cut the pieces to size and sewed them on my wife's machine using a heavy nylon thread.

I designed them with flaps at the large end of the bag and sewed velcro on them to hold the flap secured.

It took me a couple of afternoons doddling about and the total cost was about $60 but boy they looks absolutely great....quite pro actually!

IF you're interested, PM me your address and I will send you a piece of the material and the store in Stoney Creek where I purchased the material. Other fabric stores will quite likely have the same stuff or something close to it.

Even though the material is somewhat heavy, a standard sewing machine can handle the job. I sewed them inside out with a couple of runs along each side and ends and then turned them out. Looked great!

You don't have to make them this elaborate. Just the main material will do a good job. I just got carried away.!

I do have pictures of them somewhere here on RCC from back when I made them. I will see if I can locate them and post them here.
Stoney Creek Hawks RC
MAAC No. 43659

Radios used: Spektrum DX6i
Current builds: 1/4 scale J3 Cub & Neiuport 17 and KMP B-25.
Currently flying: Scratched Tele 40, Parkzone Stryker & 60" SPAD Debonaire

"Time flies like an arrow - fruit flys like a banana." Groucho Marks
Gary Maker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:56 AM   #23
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: eric q
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: too

Total Props: 26

Originally Posted by TorontoBoy View Post
I am a sewer so...
I would go with Seamster.
desiderantes meliorem patriam
To err is human, to moo is bovine
moo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:51 AM   #24
RCC Noob
I am: D T
# of RCs: 1

Total Props: 0
Re: Custom Wing bags from a sleeping bag

So I found a used sleeping bag to try Old Prairie's conversion idea. Firstly, I found that sewing a sleeping bag did require my commercial machine. My home Singer did a lot of the job but with the thickness of the dacron it soon tuckered out. If the bag had less stuffing a home machine would work. Due to the construction of the bag there is no easy way to unstitch the zipper without completely dismantling the bag, which would be way too much unnecessary work.

Turn the bag inside out, zipped up. Sew two lines down the middle of the bag. These will separate into two wing bags. The side zipper has a downwind leg and a base leg. Bag One will have the downwind leg and half of the base leg zipper. Bag Two will have only half the base leg zipper. I suppose you could cut the zipper at half the base leg, but I decided to unstitch half the base leg zipper of Bag Two and sew this onto Bag One. When it comes to zippers, longer is better.

Cut between the two sew lines, starting from the head but do not cut through the zipper. At the bottom the zipper will extend the complete width of the sleeping bag (base leg). Unstitch the zipper end from Bag Two, the one without the side zipper, then cut the bags free of each other. Stitch the freed zipper end to Bag One.

Overall the wing bags work for my two trainers. They are padded and will keep me from damaging the wings in transit and storage. I will add handles and decorations later, and possibly a way to close the top of Bag Two. Bag One with the full length zipper is much easier to get the wing in and close it up. Bag Two is much more like a condom.
TorontoBoy is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.