Should you use Afterrun Oil? - Page 5 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Car & Truck discussion General Discussion about R/C topics

Closed Thread
Old 10-02-2004, 10:35 AM   #41
RCC Junior Contributor

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Well, in my experience since 1985, you avoid:

Lubricants that can attract dirt. Oils, including shock oil, WD-40, etc.
Solvants that can affect the components you're using.

Manufacturers will recommend things, but never tell you to avoid stuff that they think people may try.

Common sense would be to stick to lubricants impregnated with teflon, which are designed to limit dirt attraction, use sparingly, or not at all on exterior parts where the manufacturer doesn't suggest lubrication.

Proper maintenance on your shocks and every run, brush them off with a paint brush (to limit dirt build up on the shock body, spring and shaft as this will cause wear). The use of a paint brush to clean dirt/debris out of a car is pretty much standard (for gas an electric, any class), as it helps cut down on the amount of free sitting dirt.

Tires, cut holes IN the tire, not rims, as if they fill with water, they'll have nowhere to get rid of it. Some tires even come pre-drilled for that purpose. A very tiny hole is sufficient, 1/16th of an inch is fine, or less.

In the long run, a car/truck cared for properly will outlast anything that isn't. May not happen today, or tomorrow, but dirt will eventually cause problems when improper methods and lubricants are used.

LosiGramps is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-03-2004, 09:40 PM   #42
RCC Pro Contributor

Hey ! I didn`t even squirt the WD-40 at all today at Sammy`s [Oct 3rd} Maybe thats why I did so good ? 3 heat wins and 4th qualifier and I finished the 30min. "A" main in fourth.
Only cooked one plug and didn`t break a part all day !
Mugen Seiki Racing - Team Driver
SkyCraft Hobbies - Burlington
2010 & 2009 RC Pro Nitro Buggy Champion, Ont.
2010 Glorcs Buggy 3rd
2010 Glorcs Truggy 5th
JordanAK is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-05-2004, 06:57 PM   #43
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56
Ok people..has this thread ever gotten some mileage...
I decided to email WD40...
here is the response I got
Thank you for contacting our company.

Question 1 ........ WD-40 will prevent a dry start on two cycle engines. The actives will remain on the walls of the cylinder.

#2.......... WD-40 should be kept away from polycarbonate plastic,it will cause stress cracking.

There are applications involving rubber and some plastics which should be approached with caution or avoided when using WD-40. Clear polystyrene and polycarbonate will stress crack in the presence of WD-40. Polyethylene, polypropylene and natural rubber will swell upon immersion in WD-40. Most situations involving WD-40 with these materials does not call for immersion. A light surface spray is harmless.

WD-40 should never be used on clear Plexiglas or Plexiglas windows, WD-40 contains mineral spirits and will cause the Plexiglas to haze.
So in essence...your both right...submersion no..spray ok.

Inside engine...I'd personally would not use, but then I don't use anything.
bareback baby.......
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-07-2004, 11:56 PM   #44
RCC Junior Contributor

You don't use anything in your engine, not even gas?

Actually, what I used to do with my gas engine, when I couldn't run it due to stupid weather (it's called WINTER) was to:

Completely tear it down, clean it all out, filter, etc. Then put the parts into a ziploc bag, fill it with 2 stroke oil, till the engine was fully submersed, then close the bag, removing as much air as possible, then place it in a glass jar closed. Engine stayed prestine through the winter (obviously), then during spring thaw, I'd get it out, spray it clean (brake cleaner), re-assemble and seal the engine, mount it, put some 2 stroke oil in it with the head off, let it sink into the engine and then slowly start to move it after a few minutes. Engine would be rough turning for a bit, then I'd spike the engine (add gas on top of the piston), put a new plug and the head back on, roll it a bit to get some compression (and to help the air removal from the gas line) and fire it up, it'd usually kick over instantly, then die (sometimes, because of the air in the fuel line). Didn't need WD-40, as I found the 2 stroke oil a LOT cheaper than it. Brake & parts cleaner, you can buy by the case (of 12).

LosiGramps is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-13-2004, 02:56 PM   #45
RCC Expert Contributor

i have seen the results of no after run. big end of rod rusted ( the crank actually) and proceeded to spit the rod thru the cases.
This was after about a month of storage.
I always put a couple of drops in the carb and turn it over. if you hydraulic lock it you are using too much.

hey like they say
Oil is cheap
rebuilds are expensive!!!
imported_xxfile is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-13-2004, 08:13 PM   #46
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56
yeah but then other than the heli nothing rests....year round beatings.
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-14-2004, 03:25 PM   #47
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Brian Belanger

Total Props: 1
Hmm... I remember using this product a long time ago, but eventually I ran out of it. I never bought another bottle to replace it. Eventually my hobbies shifted and my OS engine was on ice for about.... 6 years. When I took it back out a few months ago, it was gummed up to the point where I could I could barely turn it by hand. I managed to crank it over to free it a bit, replaced the glowplug and would you believe ( I swear this is true) it fired within SECONDS of cranking it with the bumpstarter. I've run a small bottle of fuel through it in the last couple months and have not even bothered to tear it down and inspect it, because its running flawlessly!
Despite all this, I would say that the product is likely effective at doing what it claims by coating the surfaces and eliminating the moisture, but its probably one of those products thats not a real necessity unless your motor is subject to unusual levels of moisture while it sits. Using something like this couldnt hurt, and might actually prevent a problem in an extreme case. Its fairly cheap too, as I recall.
Just my 2ยข.
Gump is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.