Hirobo's new Sky Robo - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Heli Discussion Discuss general topics on rotary wing aircraft, including construction, Servo's, Gryo's and Stabilizer discussions. Heli Pro Shop

Closed Thread
Old 12-15-2004, 11:42 AM   #1
RCC Pro Contributor

Total Props: 0
Hirobo's new Sky Robo

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I just got one a couple days ago, and have flown it a lot so far. I have a new favourite toy.

for those that don't know about the SR. you may remember the lama. it had a wire tether, dual counter rotating heads and just looked cool. well this is based on the same idea but is wireless so it turns the whole house into an airfield.

I have destroyed a few sets of blades (lucky the kit comes with 6 sets of upper and lower) but the foam is soft and meant to break in case you hit something.

it also comes with 2 sets of paddle weights. I had the agile ones (also 2 settings for control rod for more or less agility) on and it would jump around like it was on a mission. I mean SUPER responsive and actually too fast for indoor flight.... I toasted both upper and lower blades showing off yesterday with some screaming fast forward flight and hard banked corners.

I better show a pic or two...

Now for the nitty gritty...

The heli comes with everything needed to fly including a 7.4v 700 mah lipo battery and charger. flight times are about 15 mins I would imagine. I don't think I have done a complete battery as I have been tweaking and playing (or replacing blades right Keddy? haha). charge time is around 60 mins so a spare battery would be fun to have

The radio works just fine for flying and is a futaba radio. if you wanted to use your own radio there is a control pot on the heli to switch for brands and freq shifts. it even came with batteries for the radio.

there are many adjustents to dial it in like subtrims on the heli itself for left/right/forward/backwards and rate of rotation. it is best to tune from these pots and not the radio. if the heli rotates on way or the other you adjust the top blade sets pitch. they even have a simple saying... if it turns left turn the screws left....

Not oly does it come with 2 sets of flybar weights, 6 sets of main blades but it also comes with a set of training gear. I put them on for first flight and found this thig so stable I was trying to do advanced things I am still leary to try with my bigger helis. cool thing is if you get in trouble, you can just let go and it will basically hover as long as there is about half throttle anyway..

I heard there are other blades around but I kind of like the safety and for about $10USD a box (need a box of a's and b's for upper and lower respectively) you can have an extra 6 sets of blades. tracking is very easy since you can do it from the easy chair, I just put a black line around with a felt pen and made the adjustments as in the manual. it is very easy to do alone. heck you can hold it in your hand and do it. just no right stick inputs as this will afect tracking.

another cool test for helis is to hold them in front of your tv set to look for any problems. the light strobing on the tv slows things right down so you can see everything. try it sometime.

in closing I will say that a new pilot can really benefit from one of these. great for learning nose in and forward flight.... any orientation. and for advanced pilots, you can bump it up a notch or 2 wi the flybar weights being changed or even the control rod location so that it is scary agile. ask my buddy Jimmy. he is my trainer and was intimidated by it's responsiveness and is honestly a better pilot than I. I just have always had my cars and trucks dual rates way up and turned less so the extra was there if you need.... that said, I have to go to the shop now and replace all my blades, then off to the lhs for a couple more boxes

I heard these things can do an almost funnel and I kind of tried een though I can't do them, even on the sim lol.

Next review will be the t rex from align. I just paid for a second one, but this I have to build and will do a full pic spread of the build process. I also got all the align electronics to go with it and will either keep my other I builtfor spares or will do the extended boom and blade version to make a bigger heli out of it...
Pipeous is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-29-2004, 04:38 PM   #2
RCC Contributor

Excellent heli...........even better trainer................

We've been using the tethered version and the non-tethered in the store for about a month and a half now and they are by far the easiest heli I have even "tried" to fly.

Very stable, very easy to control and takes a pretty good crash. (if any of you have seen me fly you'll know why I put that in)

I've tried the Dragonfly, Hummingbird, Cupid and of course various sims but none of them can touch the Hirobos for ease and enjoyment of usage.

The only down fall of these guys is more experienced pilots get bored as they think they are to easy. (put on the smaller flybar weights and it gets really twitchy tho)

I've decided to carry these guys as the stores mainstay indoor flier and will have all the parts for them as well if anyone is looking.

Hats off to Hirobo on this one.........very impressed..............

Henry D
The Zoom Room RC Toys and Hobbies
zoomroom is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-30-2004, 03:48 PM   #3
RCC Pro Contributor

I like it has 4 settings basically for ability. heavy and light flybar weights then there are 2 settings for the flybar linkage. I am using the light paddles and the easy link.

I can't imagine it getting boring. I have allready worn out a motor. you put the thing on aggressive fly settings and a few buddies won't even fly it.

with the way I have it, it can even fly outdoors, though any big winds it gets real scary.

to increase the blades stiffness, I have seen guys using packing tape over the blades and it becomes even better. thing to remember is to keep to 5 min flights and let motors cool. I am finding out the hard way. sure tough to stop flying when you are wailing around the house and doing hard banked corners and scared to crash into stuff hehe. I love mine.
Old 01-01-2005, 03:21 PM   #4
RCC Junior Contributor

Nice Chopper
t3x is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-08-2005, 08:27 AM   #5
RCC Pro Contributor

I took the little guy with me to work. while my business develops I have to keep a regular job. I am Night watchman at a shopping mall. talk about having lots of room. I start work at midnight so not too many people around.
in the center of the mall is a vaulted ceiling with a huge skylight and furnitue arranged around the center. it is the perfect spot. I was flying around and landed the heli on an off color tile on the floor and the janitor was watching. he says, you didn't plan on landing precisely on that did you? so I take off and land on the end table beside the couch where my security partner is sitting. I loved the look on their faces haha

then I take off and hover and walk up and grab the skids with my hand and let go and go flying. I am going to go back to ultra agile mode now as I have room to do circuits in there.

I pulled off my first funnel with it like it is butI bet I can get a more pronounced one with the agile settings. I still fly this thing more than any other heli I own. a beginner pilot could have so much fun. it is just the most stable thing but can go farther with some settings. this is what a micro heli should be like

if you are considering a first heli, this should be it. you get into trouble, just leave throttle half stick and let go of everything and it hovers. it might drift some but you can make a decision, rotate the tail to face you and get your bearings.

and the detail is just awesome. what more can I say? it flies great and looks cool.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.