New Toy coming - RC 18T - What charger do you recommend - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Car & Truck discussion General Discussion about R/C topics

Closed Thread
Old 12-22-2004, 09:49 PM   #1
RCC Noob

Total Props: 0
New Toy coming - RC 18T - What charger do you recommend

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi guys, I am getting an electric (first one since my Frog - WAAAAYYYY back when) and am looking to get a charger, any suggestions - I have heard of the Ice charger and the Triton charger - can you provide any assistance?

I am also looking at picking up a second battery pack, again any suggestions?
lvfoster is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-22-2004, 11:03 PM   #2
RCC Junior Contributor

The ICE charger is great for most any application. It's going to sell for about $200 Cad....and so far as I know, it will need a power supply if you plan to use it off the wall...soooo,,pretty pricey.
The Triton is in the same category but it was develloped for the aircraft enthusiast. The Pit bull, LRP, Novak and Associated chargers are all good but don't do Li-Po cells if you get into electric flight or high power receiver packs and once again they require a seperate power supply.
Probably the nicest charger I have seen for under $100 is the Pirana Digital charger. It's loaded for the money. 1 to 8 cell charging, ten mode storage, adjustable peak and a ton of other stuff...and it plugs right into the wall to boot.(built in power supply or 12v source) It doesn't discharge but you can get a cheap (good) discharger and be able to charge one bat up while discharging another. Integy also makes a few good chargers that have built in power supply and discharger..whew. Too many choices...but all good depending on what you want to spend...check with your LHS.
To finish first....first ya gotta finish!
PitMan is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-22-2004, 11:15 PM   #3
RCC Noob

Thanks for the info. How long will it take to charge with the cheaper systems? What type of battery pack would you recommend to get? I have read about the lipo packs and the Mamba system - sounds like a lot of fun but too much juice for inside unless you have a big track to run in.

Would a lipo pack be beneficial with stock or upgraded motor? Correct me if I am wrong but I believe the lipo provides longer run times - any other features of lipo over the standard battery pack?

lvfoster is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-23-2004, 12:28 AM   #4
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Andrew C
Radio of choice:
Old School FM... Futaba mainly
# of RCs: 5+

i have the mrc 969 pro and its a great charger as wel... it charges all cells and can do 2 pax at a time... 1- 7 cells.... it uses ac or dc/// and everything u need is pretty much in the box... i had to make a few connectors and adaptors but that was easy.... another option for u to look at...
Old Beater Sable
ayk_driver is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-23-2004, 01:05 AM   #5
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Jeff F

I was going to suggest the MRC 969 as well, I've got one sitting behind me... just got it actually, haven't even charged a pack with it yet, but it does every type of battery and has the 2 charging outputs...

My firend had it before and he said that it charged packs better than the Reedy Quazar Pro....
Stalker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-23-2004, 10:03 AM   #6
Alumni Mod
I am: Scott P

Myself, I have a triton, and it will do everything...NiCd, NiMH, Lipo, PB (leadacid)... BUT ire does 1-24 cells nimh and nicd
you will need a power supply for it, but it is awesome.
The ICE is good as well, not sure on the power supply there...

I don't think tha tlipo is something that we ground based people use that much.. might be interesting, but not sure on its various issues.. I know that charging them can be very tricky... like fire type of tricky...
SUPERD's PAST PITMAN just ask SuperD
Sprucewood - First B-main, 9th A-main
Bellvegas - 4th A-MAIN Truggy
TTR S3 - Rossi M21 (on side lines all summer)
TTR ST-1 with LSK OMG..
Savage Racer -
spond is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-28-2004, 07:31 PM   #7
RCC Senior Contributor

My first charger was a Piranha Digital and still have it, great charger for NiCd and NiMh. I just bought the Triton and converted a computer power supply to be used as a desktop supply. Still learning the details of the Triton.
venom813 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-28-2004, 09:07 PM   #8
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56
I'm using the triton
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.