type of fuel - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Car & Truck discussion General Discussion about R/C topics

Closed Thread
Old 01-15-2005, 09:32 AM   #1
RCC Noob

Total Props: 0
type of fuel

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Will the type of fuel i use for my savage effect the running temp of my motor. It is alwasy running hot 280-300 degrees.
blueboyz is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-15-2005, 09:39 AM   #2
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56
There was an interesting article on fuel content and nitro fuel r your engine will in the January issue of RC Driver. I'll try and find the issue and quote some of the basics regarding that.
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-15-2005, 01:32 PM   #3
RCC Junior Contributor

I use sidewinders backyard bash its 20% nitro 16% oil and it runs great in my savage and t-maxx as well
check out my pics
imported_sevenstar is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-15-2005, 04:38 PM   #4
RCC Pro Contributor

different fuel can make big changes to the way it runs. oil types and contents are one thing that affect it. you have to look at the % of oil there is. sport type fuels tend to have higher oil. lower oil will run better but you have to watch temps more.
also synthetic and castor oils are used. castor oils provide better protection for ground rc's at the cost of a messy exhaust. synthetic oil will break down easier at higher temperature extremes than will castor.

you also have to look at nitro content. most engines are running 20% nitro. you would think a higher nitro content would heat the motor up, but it is the opposite. sort of. you don't need to be as lean to get the same power from your motor and it will use less fuel burning cleaner. it's a trade off.
what really burns my butt in racing is; there is regular and race formulas (like say blue thunder) race formula uses more synthetic oil than castor. synthetic is cheaper but race formula costs more. HUH? heli fuel is all synthetic but tends to cost less. I dunno. anyway...

as for personal choice? I like anything made by morgan fuels. byrons is great stuff ( I ran cool power and byrons in my helis, both made by morgan), I ran 25% nitro in my buggy (just to not buy 30% and feel I saved some money, my Irish part of my heritage).

other things that can make the truck/motor heat up are dirty/dragging clutch (clean the bearings), worn clutch springs (engaging clutch all the time), a leaky exhaust flange gasket or coupler, leaky pressure line to tank, improper gearing....
Pipeous is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.