Building an R/C complex - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Car & Truck discussion General Discussion about R/C topics

Closed Thread
Old 01-17-2005, 02:52 PM   #21
RCC Master Contributor

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Originally Posted by Slim
I agree with the saying "Build it and they will come!" Every Sunday when the weather permitted. Four of us from Midland traveled to Hillsburgh to play with our toys.. The drive was along one, just over the two hour mark. The day would cost close to $50.00 a piece, not including the broken parts, nitro, etc... You have to remeber that everyone is different. Some are on a tight budget, some have no ride, etc....

Good Luck..

Thanks for thinking of us younger less budgeted
Hyper 7 pro for sale!
hyper7man is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-17-2005, 03:13 PM   #22
Alumni Mod
I am: Scott P

Point being, that we will not have a free "facility". If we want a top notch place, we will have to pay. It will be up to the owners to decide what they want to invest and how long they want it to take before they show returns on the investment.

If it is too high of a cost, then some people will not be able to afford it, but then less people will show up, and the owners will notice this in lower profits. If it is to cheap, then the owners will notice this in lower profits as well. (believe it or not), because it will cost a certain amount of money to run the place and there will be a ceratin cost per head that has to be maintained in order to keep the facility open.

If they want it to be a "facility", then it will be run as a "close to profit" based business and it will not be "cheap". If it is someones back yard, then it can be similar to Hillsburg and Kings Rc, farily low seasoanl cost, and fair per use cost...

Lets just say.... start saving now, and if it is cheaper, then you ahve more money to play with...

Persoanlly. I am hopeing for a moderate membership (that allows for some free access, not totally free) OR a reasoanable per use cost.

Either way. If they do not treat it properly, and it ends up being a backyard thing, then some people will not want to pay even if they can afford it.
SUPERD's PAST PITMAN just ask SuperD
Sprucewood - First B-main, 9th A-main
Bellvegas - 4th A-MAIN Truggy
TTR S3 - Rossi M21 (on side lines all summer)
TTR ST-1 with LSK OMG..
Savage Racer -
spond is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:15 AM   #23
Glenn Garrugia - Brotherdirt

WOW Thanks for all your input! You guys have alot of good ideas and please keep sending them in. I know the feeling of hearing about a new track and being let down when it flops or just isnt what I was told it whould be or worse that it never gets off the ground at all. I want to be able to provide you guys with the best of the best even if it means I never get another minute of drive time in my life (although I hope thats not the case) It will be worth the sacrifice. So with all that said maybe someone has some ideas on start up costs? Maybe somthing I have neglicted to think about, all imput is helpfull. thanks
  Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-18-2005, 10:53 AM   #24
RCC Noob
I am: Mark D

Sorry if I seem a bit skeptical, but why are you asking for what your startup costs are going to be on a forum? If you're truly serious about running a business like this then you're going to have to do some legwork on your own to figure these things out. Asking for what people would like to see at your track is one thing, that's some market research. But asking said people how much it's going to cost? That's your job.

I don't know who your "big time investor" is, but any investor I've ever talked to likes to know about numbers before they're really in on the deal.

Sorry if I seem too pessimistic, I don't know what other work you've done in preparation. I'd love to see a facility come to life, but I've done a fair amount of research into this area myself and it's not a simple task. If you're more prepared than I'm perceiving you are, I apologize in advance.

Here's a question *I* have for everybody - when you think of a good on-road and off-road track for say, 1/10th or 1/8th cars and trucks, how big do you envision them being?

Savage SS w/RB TM728
Mantua Rally Race XS w/HPI .25
ThunderTiger ZK2
Kyosho Calibre M24
- All for sale
DMD is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-18-2005, 11:44 AM   #25
Flaming Mo
RCC Master Contributor

★ Site Supporter ★
I am: William
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 2

The 1st thing you should check (even before posting) is liability insurance. Lets not forget these can be unforgiving...........
Sea Air and Land
Flaming Mo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-18-2005, 12:40 PM   #26
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: James G

I think the first and most important thing you need to do is find the land, or facility, then check on the local by-laws, and don’t forget Insurance, if I was going to do this I would look into finding a closed down grocery store... they already have great ventilation, heat, AC and a high roof (for big ass jumps) and parking, not to mention size... and most grocery stores are located in well populated areas, I have seen a few night clubs go this root, and succeed very well.....

As for entry or membership fees... if you have a place big enough that you can allow something like a coffee shop or hobby shops to open up inside, you can charge them floor space and use some of that money to offset entry or membership fees.

I think membership is a great idea sign up for 1 year pay monthly or pay all at once and save, or for the people that can’t afford it, have a season pass.

Face it, they will come... No one like to play alone and a track allows people to meet new people and get great tips, and help from others.

You will lose allot of off road in the summer, and weather will play a big part, most people if just planning to bash and test there car or truck setup, will more likely play on there street or local construction site if the weather is good. So you will need special events, demos, and such to bring them back in! An outdoor track will help a lot too...
You can drive a fast truck slow, but you can't drive a slow truck fast!

My photo album
imported_lunytune is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-18-2005, 02:49 PM   #27
RCC Supreme Contributor

Originally Posted by lunytune
if I was going to do this I would look into finding a closed down grocery store... they already have great ventilation, heat, AC and a high roof (for big ass jumps) and parking, not to mention size...
I bet Chewy could hit the roof

If its going to be indoor though a grocery store would be perfect

1978 VW Type 1 (Super Beetle) Convertible
PeanutButterJellyTime is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-18-2005, 03:47 PM   #28
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56
Well perhaps questions are being asked because they have the land, time and possible a facility..but do know know much more about the business.

There is a great deal of, business, building, promotion, etc...who have been there done that...

Remember the old saying.."there is no such thing as a stupid question" "if you don't ask they can't say no"....see what I'm saying

Whether it happens or not...the least we can do as an r/c community is to try and answer any questions, and offer the best support we can.

Good luck and I hope to see another track out there...for all of us to play.
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-18-2005, 05:04 PM   #29
RCC Contributor

awsome...i can see it all coming together in my head...a dirt track with cars going all over the place

good luck!
Tire_Fryer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-18-2005, 05:24 PM   #30
RCC Master Contributor

Well I've seen good decisions and bad decisions made. That either made Extereme Hobbies money and unfortunately put them out of buisness.

1. Membership fees we payable monthly or you can run for 4 hours for $20(if you're a member, you have a set fee and unlimeted access to tracks and discounts to parts(if any))

2. Have parts available so if something breaks, you can fix it on the spot(you will make money on that b/c if things break the ppl wont leave, they will buy parts and keep on going)

3. Maybe more then one track for different or same scale r/c vehicles

4. Stage racing events, demos, or anyhting that seems will draw a crowd(especially in good weather(summer, sunny...ect)

5. Possibly have an out door track for good weather to keep you clients

6. *Very Important* Location, they were located in woodbridge vaughan, so its in the GTA so its easy access for many people b/c the GTA holds most of ontario's population.

7. Have a good layout for the track

8. something to keep track of frequncies that people are using

9. And maybe, have like hpi nitro Mt2 that you can rent or something like can expand on that...

1. Stopped stocking the shelves

2. Track size was a joke(way to small)

3. Good weather came, did nothing about it and went bankrupt

4. to many good ideas, not enough action

the list ccan go on...

You have to have a good staff that are well informed about the hobby, and hire people to flip over r/c cars(when they get stuck)

If your within 20min drive from GTA or in the GTA you have atleast tones of members no problem...including my family...

If you have any other questions just ask away because I've been there, done that... If I have the money and was 4-5 years older I would buy land and a big building, make 3000-5000sqft. a hobby shop and the rest a track. again im only a teenager, dont have money or age to do this.

Hyper 7 pro for sale!
hyper7man is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.