What do you do? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Car & Truck discussion General Discussion about R/C topics

Closed Thread
Old 03-06-2005, 09:42 AM   #1
RCC Master Contributor

Total Props: 0
What do you do?

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
What do you do when its humid

Richen or lean??
imported_REVOS5 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-06-2005, 10:42 AM   #2
RCC Pro Contributor

Richen it. The engine will be hotter because of the humidity. In the winter time you can lean it out more since the weather keeps the engine cooler.

Adjust and keep an eye out on the engines temp. The spit trick works well if you don't have a temp gauge/gun.
Elcon Cleon w/air brakes
imported_SELWA is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-06-2005, 11:09 AM   #3
RCC Expert Contributor

Good call fromthe temp aspect but...
hotter humid air is less dense (Assuming heat with humidity) therefore the less dense air will need less fuel so it is appropriate to lean it out some.

Either way the best indicator of how rich it should be is by the temperature of the engine.
adjust your needle to have the engine run at the usual safe temperature.
this depends on the vehicle.
my Losi NXT usually around 220 f but my T maxx is always a lot hotter.

Conflicting advice.
good luck
imported_xxfile is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-06-2005, 12:23 PM   #4
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56
yea i was suprised to learn that in colder temps you have to richen it because of the dence air.

but as just stated... take temps to be sure
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-06-2005, 12:33 PM   #5
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Jun
Radio of choice:
Fly Sky GT3B and TH9X
# of RCs: 22

Tip, Engine Starting Summer/Winter and Temperature Reading Locations

If you had your engine tuned in the summer, chances are you will not be able to start it as easy in the winter months. assuming your engine compression is good but your engine still didn't want to start and its (-) whatever temperature it is with a very low humidity of say 30% or lower, you will then have to turn you HSNV 1/2 turn richer to get the engine to at least start. Once the engine has started, get it to operating temperature and tune from there.

Having said that, during the summer when the RH is so high, richen your HSNV to get your truck to start and tune from there as well.

As always try not to lean your engine out too much unless you are willing to accept the responsibility that you will end up buying a new engine sooner than later.

I highly recommend that you do not do the spit test simply because you should be spitting on the fin closest to the glow plug since it is where heat dissipation starts and the last or top fin is the farthest from the glow plug that the temperature up there is much more cooler than the bottom fin.

Hence, when you use the laser temp gun you take a reading of the glow plug area and not the top fin. Same as if you were to use a MIP or Venom Temp Guage that you wrap the sensor around the bottom fin.
I am on the 13th year of my 2nd childhood and I REFUSE TO GROW-UP!
imported_VIPER is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-06-2005, 02:14 PM   #6
RCC Pro Contributor

Engine temps are okay, but the best bet is to tune it. learn to tune the top end first, then the bottom end. tune for high speed, then richen a little. tune the bottom to match. small adjustments due to track conditions.

Temps are a good basis but shouldn't be the end all to tuning. You should be able to tell by the way it runs and sound.

then there's turbo plug engines. a whole new game of fun
Pipeous is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.