Out of control Off Road or On Road Stories - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Offroad RC Discussion RC Offroad chat for truggies, buggies, short-course and more. Topics may include brands like Associated, Kyosho, Tamiya, Axial, Traxxas and more.

Closed Thread
Old 03-19-2005, 10:10 AM   #1
RCC Pro Contributor

Total Props: 0
Out of control Off Road or On Road Stories

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I'm sure we all have some unique stories of how our buggies/cars/mt's lost control.

The last time this happened to me was about 3 years ago!! I've been lucky since then.

I had a TT Mirage Vspec Pro at the time. I was in a field when it happened. Suddenly it starts to go faaster and faster and faster. It ripped throught the field, passing the tennis courts and playground full of kids!! Jumps of the field onto a school parking lot (Weekend - no kids) shot across it and somehow launched off a sidewalk into the bushes by the school wall. By the time I caught up to it, it was still screaming with all 4 wheels spinning in the dirt creating 4 holes around it. As I caught my breath I stopped it. The engine was hot but ok. Turns out one of the radio wires was stuck around the servo horn. Can't remember if I had a failsafe or not. After a few minutes of checking it over everything was ok. No breaks or bends. I started it up again without a problem.

I use a failsafe and return spring now.
Elcon Cleon w/air brakes
imported_SELWA is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-19-2005, 10:28 AM   #2
RCC Master Contributor

happened last winter, 2003-2004

was at my cousins, happened with my nitro mt

i was making a high speed run and suddenly i couldnt brake or turn, i wasnt running a fail safe. BAM, right into a curb i see peices flying everywhere, my pipe broke in half as well as my carb which cracked the crankcase...thats a day i will never forget.
imported_REVOS5 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-19-2005, 10:30 AM   #3
RCC Senior Contributor

ive got a few,
first: i was in jones lake(moncton) with my air boat and the steering cable stuck to the left, so after a few dozen circles it was pretty close to shore so i guned it, but i never saw the log and i smoked it. it did 2 or 3 barel roles in the air and landed in the shalow water.
second: air boat again i was in st george playing on a lake somehow my throtle servo got wet an stuck wide open luckly it was pointing towards the shore, it hit the sand and then a large bolder, and i put a hole in the hule.
imported_Red97 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-19-2005, 01:49 PM   #4
John Bakker
I am: JB

My runaway happened during the first round of qualifiers at the Sprucewood race last year.I lauched off the finish line doudle and landed really hard,so hard it jarred the power switch for my receiver off.the throttle was wide open at that point.the truck took of like a bat out of hell towards the food area were there was a bunch of Rc moms,wives and some kids .Thank god the truck wheelied on to its roof before it made it to the food court.There I was trapped on the drivers stand looking down at my brand new truggy on its roof screaming,the wheels were the size of bike wheels.Thanks to Fozy or FP Mech or one of our admins. I can't remember who ,managed to shut her down
I learned a big RC lesson that day.IF I had a throttle return spring my truck would have landed and just sat there. I use throttle return springs in all my RCs now
John Bakker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-19-2005, 02:16 PM   #5
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Tom

I have 2 never forgets.

The first one is when I had my Stampede, the exhaust was coming loose and the added vibration interfered with the servo, off she went, off I went and low and behold he found the hill and the fence for the tennis courts. THANK GOD!

The next time... was at Hobby Home Bash, just got my savvy fixed. Gunned it a few times, then all of sudden ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM. off it goes straight for the HUGE snow pile, the other side of which was the laneway. I (with radio in hand) go chasing after it. Amazingly, the savvy flips over on the snowpile and comes straight back for me. I start running faster and think "this will be easy to catch!". Just as I am bending down to grab the front end it veers to my right.. without even thinking (with my radio still in my hand) I jump and barely catch old savvy by the bumper. My friggin shoulder STILL hurts from that!
FearFerretRC is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-19-2005, 03:53 PM   #6
RCC Expert Contributor

Airplane story

Had a Goldberg super chipmunk my pride and joy! Also radio with failsafe. well long story short failsafe in planes is a little dicey and the plane was going around in circles knife edge at about 100 MPH.
Every lap it took it came a little closer to the ground,.
it was up long enough with me screaming that everyone in the air landed and turned off their radios but still no controlls.
as we watched helplessly as it slowly screwed itself into the ground. it completely destroyed itself so I could never tell if it was a bayyery failure or if something came unplugged or what,
The failsafe did keep it in the air for almost 5 min though and it was 5 min of pure torture.
imported_xxfile is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-19-2005, 05:51 PM   #7
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56
The only 2 Runaways ive had were;
One was at Spza's house, somehow my antenna backed it self into the radiio box down the tube, and then it ran through his dads potato patch.
the Other was at BMC, and its on video, I was jumping of the car killer ramp, and when i landed, the chassis slaped pretty hard, and ruined the X'tal, and it screemed off into Fozy's foot.
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-19-2005, 05:54 PM   #8
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56
Originally Posted by xxfile
Had a Goldberg super chipmunk my pride and joy!
I Had one of these also, Just i only had mine for a few days. I was visiting my dad in florida, when i walked past a yardsale, and seen a built-uncoverd plane, So i talked her down to 10 bucks. Then after some reaserch, i listed it up on ebay i got $195 american for it plus shipping.
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-19-2005, 11:16 PM   #9
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Andrew C
Radio of choice:
Old School FM... Futaba mainly
# of RCs: 5+

at daves track one bash night... sum newbie didnt check the freq. board and when starting his t-maxx he held the throttle pinned... just as i started mine on the same freq... my maxx took off... hit one pipe... then another and rolled..... tires were like 1" wide and the engine died 1/2 second b4 i got to it.... NOT COOL!!! scared me s** thinking my engine just died....
Old Beater Sable
ayk_driver is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 03-20-2005, 07:05 AM   #10

Several years ago I was driving my Kyosho stadium truck out in a HUGE parking lot. The battery plug came loose and the throttle was full open. It screamed from one end of the lot to the other, hit the curb which sent it flying into the air and slamming nose first into the wall. I managed to destroy the entire front end, and bent, twisted and mangled the entire chassis.
imported_Zeppo is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.