Ya Know What I Hate???? - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Car & Truck discussion General Discussion about R/C topics

Closed Thread
Old 04-10-2005, 12:40 PM   #11
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Jeff F

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Don't count on them giving you your money back.. about the best you will be able to do with them is getting a credit... I think I got money back from them once and that was just luck..
The Revolution is Coming...
Currently Racing:
Caster ZX1.5R Pro, EX1.5R Pro, SK10 Pro
Stuck to the dirt by VP Pro Tires
Stalker is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-10-2005, 01:25 PM   #12
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Tom

Now now Fozy.... you should know by now that I will try to be as unbiased as possible in my posts. If you want to know, I will tell you later. The last thing I want to start is a flame war about hobby shops.

Btw... I didnt get my money back, that was okay though, I was given a bit of a deal on some other products I wanted to buy.

It doesnt make up for the astronomical amount they wanted for other things in the first place, but at least some effort was made. I can say this much, I wont be going back to that particular shop any time soon if I can help it.
FearFerretRC is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-10-2005, 02:08 PM   #13
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56
I don't care what ANYONE says the mark up on stuff is huge. Kits are the exception as they dont tend to make as much money. However, having seen some pricing from distributors the mark up on parts is stupid and anyone who says different is crazy.

As far as the prices further from the city getting lower the main contributing factor there would be overhead. Rent is less, taxes are less and the smart guys are the ones who take advantage of that and lower their prices to get your business.

I am a big believer that things in this industry are overpriced. however it' like gas. Unless your prepared to stop buying there isnt a whole lot thats gonna happen.

Originally Posted by FearFerretRC
yeah, Ebay is great, but sometimes you cant wait for the shipping time.

It just boils down to this, Sometimes I fee like I am getting raped by the hobby shop. Certain shops know they can charge astronomical prices and get away with it.

I was sent a pm about how pricing works in a hobby shop. And frankly I think its a load of crap. I worked in retail for sometime, and there is a mark up on everything, thats how a profit is made. But the mark ups are supposed to be based on desired income, expected expenses like hydro, rent etc. It seems like certain hobby shops in the GTA charge immense amounts because they can.

I have found that the further away I get from the GTA the better the pricing becomes. Why do you think that is? I think its because the shops get farther apart, or there are less of them, so charging 29.99 for a 6.99(US) radio box wouldnt fly

And you are right, I should have called around first. But the problem was, I was on my lunch for work and had to get the parts I needed because I didint think I would make it to the hobby shop I like the most. Got burned, nuff said, will be taking the rest of the stuff I bought back today and hopefuly they will give me my money back.
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-11-2005, 01:34 PM   #14
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Jun
Radio of choice:
Fly Sky GT3B and TH9X
# of RCs: 22

Hobby shops within the GTA is far and few. They are at least within 15 to 25 Km apart so shopping at a hobby shop nearest you is best specially if you know that most of the parts you will need is there. I'm lucky that way.

I will however travel farther if my first shop does not have what I require even if the price is higher than his.

If I need parts and there is only one shop that has it, I ask a fellow hobbyist to buy it for me that is close to the shop or I go there myself and pay the higher premium.

First things to consider in a shop is service, second is knowledge, third is parts availability, fourth but not last is pricing.

Have parts will play, need parts will travel.
I am on the 13th year of my 2nd childhood and I REFUSE TO GROW-UP!
imported_VIPER is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-11-2005, 02:11 PM   #15
Jay C.
RCC Expert Contributor

I went to a hobby shop that will remain nameless...bought a tmaxx gas tank, there were 2 - side by side, one was 16.99 the other was 19.99, they were side by side, I took the 16.99 one... obviously
Jay C. is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-11-2005, 02:55 PM   #16
Alumni Mod
I am: Scott P

I think I know which one that was.. I tpays to dig to the back of the stack to find the cheaper price.. lol.. I have saved up to 15% just by looking around the other pegs...
SUPERD's PAST PITMAN just ask SuperD
Sprucewood - First B-main, 9th A-main
Bellvegas - 4th A-MAIN Truggy
TTR S3 - Rossi M21 (on side lines all summer)
TTR ST-1 with LSK OMG..
Savage Racer -
spond is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-11-2005, 03:04 PM   #17
RCC Supreme Contributor

thats why i like boats...less things to break....and you can make your own parts without the use of state of the art machinery..
imported_VEN is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-11-2005, 03:53 PM   #18
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: James G

I wanted GPM extended TVP's, for my savage. I went to a hobby shop and was told 99$ (+ tax) CAD, I contacted GPM and I paid 45$ cad shipped to my door, GPM parts are way cheaper if you buy them from GPM
You can drive a fast truck slow, but you can't drive a slow truck fast!

My photo album
imported_lunytune is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.