tips and pointers. - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Offroad RC Discussion RC Offroad chat for truggies, buggies, short-course and more. Topics may include brands like Associated, Kyosho, Tamiya, Axial, Traxxas and more.

Closed Thread
Old 05-05-2005, 04:06 PM   #1
RCC Apprentice

Total Props: 0
tips and pointers.

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I bought my first nitro truck last winter and Im still haVING some trouble tuning my savage 25. Can i get some hints and tips from you guys.
kawi25 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-05-2005, 06:12 PM   #2
RCC Supreme Contributor

If you have a temperature gauge, you can check the temp often, as long as u let the engine warm up first. It should be around 240 F i think

1978 VW Type 1 (Super Beetle) Convertible
PeanutButterJellyTime is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-05-2005, 06:29 PM   #3
RCC Senior Contributor

I wouldn't tune my engine by temperature because that's usually the wrong way to go... Put away the temp guage and save it for later.

The first thing I would do is to go online to the HPI Racing website and find the needle reset instructions. This resets your needles to the factory break in position and it is usually pretty rich.

Then start the engine and see how it idles. You might have to lean out the high speed a bit cuz it might stall from being too rich. Once you get it to idle ok, give it some gas... It might still be rich and bog down. If it happens, lean out the high speed a bit. What I usually look for now is a good full throttle run... I ignore the low end and tune that for later. Now keep leaning it out till you get a consistant high speed run. You should see a trail of exhaust smoke and your engine shouldn't die off. If it does, you might be running too lean. Listen for signs of struggle to get to the high end. If it's struggling, lean it out. While doing all this, ignore the acceleration of the truck cuz it will bog, i will explain the low end later on.

Once you got the high end set and you're happy, it's time to work on the low speed needle. If it bogs, lean it out till you get a crisp snappy acceleration. Don't lean out the low speed too much either or you'll stall the engine. Listen to the sound of the engine when coming back down to idle. The sound should be a consistant rumble. If it sounds like a high pitch squeeling, then it's too lean... After you set all this do another high speed run and adjust the high speed needle accordingly. You should have a good running engine if you did it right.

If you're satisfied with the performance and you know you're not running too lean, use your temp gauge and take a temp reading. I know that people recommend 220F - 280F. I personally don't care about the temp ranges. I used to have an engine that runs awesome at 190F and a OS engine that runs awesome at 300F. Keep a record of this temp during your runs. Although I wouldn't suggest aiming for this temp all the time, it's just to give you an idea at which temp your engine runs best at.
wedginator is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-05-2005, 08:10 PM   #4
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Jeff F

That's one of the best (and most accurate) write ups I've read on tuning and engine online in a long time. Good work!

I just want to add one thing though... when you are tuning you should always ALWAYS go rich first. An engine can run really rich for a bit with out harming it, but it doesn't take too long to do damage if it's lean.

When you go to tune the low end using the method stated above you will have to richen up the high a little bit probably. I know it says to adjust it but just so you know you will most likely need to adjust it so it's a little richer.
The Revolution is Coming...
Currently Racing:
Caster ZX1.5R Pro, EX1.5R Pro, SK10 Pro
Stuck to the dirt by VP Pro Tires
Stalker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-05-2005, 08:14 PM   #5
RCC Master Contributor

some real good tips and advise
72 Capricorn Cat With Twins
58 ForaBuck Cat mod zen
cyclop is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-05-2005, 09:24 PM   #6
RCC Junior Contributor

Thumbs up Great long as its accurate lol I dont know the diff

Man did i need to read that. Something about being a newb just makes me not wanna ask those questions, so thanks for takin the brunt on this for me kawi25.

Its funny, today I took my savage out to sunnidale with miles of room to play, and I just couldn't get it to warm up. Went thru almost an entire tank before it finally hit 2nd gear. I thought that maybe cause I clean it after every run the diffs/bearings were getting sticky..but I always WD40 it right after im done cleaning. Even took the air filter out to clean it for the 2nd time..although I haven't really seen any dirt fly except for the mini-gravel paths thru the park.

Anyhow I was pretty perplexed about it not wanting to warm up, cause until its warm, the engine doesn't want to perform. This is something I KNOW for sure, I've paid enough attention and ran it enuf hours to know that 180F+ = hi rpm fast. Trouble was today I didnt' want to wait, so i kept throttling it and wasted two tanks of gas with barely any success.

If Wedginators write up is accurate, I'm still running to lean on the high end. I beleive my idle is perfect, and low rpm just sucks until its hot. Every time I stop it just hums, if its really cold it will stall the odd time, but other than that I can pretty much leave the ignitor and roto behind once she's fired up.
--=Savage Flux goin 4s for now=--
"Everyday, my drive to work: gas, brake, honk; gas, brake, honk; honk, honk, punch; gas, gas, gas."
TriggerHappy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-05-2005, 09:33 PM   #7
RCC Junior Contributor

once everything is tuned it is a good idea to have a temp gun handy to know where your at. I have a Durtrax infrared temp gun less then 2 weeks used forsale if anyone needs one
madgti is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-06-2005, 04:52 PM   #8
RCC Supreme Contributor

Ya, just to clarify, I'm aware that temp tuning is not such a great idea, but if ur engine is relitively tuned then its a good thing to use I meant.

Sorry about that

1978 VW Type 1 (Super Beetle) Convertible
PeanutButterJellyTime is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.