Tunning issues?? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Car & Truck discussion General Discussion about R/C topics

Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2005, 08:26 AM   #1
imported_Newfy

Total Props: 0
Tunning issues??

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Im tuning a Ofna Picco .26 that is in my Savage but I am having some difficulty. I just broke it in and every thing was fine, Iflybyu has help a great bit with the tuning but it still not there. I was going to reset everything to factory defaults but according to the book the low speed should be set at 13 turns out, if I do that the thing will be in my hand???. Just to let you know what it is doing right now it seems to be good on the top end but when i do a high power run it will die as soon as i let the throttle out all the way. When I start it it idles good, if i drive at around up to about 3/4 throttle np when i let go the throttle, it only dies when the throttle is released from full??

So if anyone has a factory setting so I can redo this that would be great. If not anyone want to buy it.
imported_Newfy is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-18-2005, 08:35 AM   #2
spond
Alumni Mod

I am: Scott P

Well.. I seem to remeber the low end being around 9 turns out.. but each picco really is different that way.. so use the pinch test.. start the truck get it warmed up.. then bring it in, inch the fuel tube about an inch fromt he carb, and count how long it takes to kill the motor.. It should be between 3-5 seconds.. 3 and under is too lean, and 5 and over is too rich.. so it should be in there somewhere...

The high end, again is variable on piccos, but that i would tune to temp.. 220-240 is about right for a picco.. 220 is better but it will depend on the performance you want..

Check the carb opening, shoul dbe about .5mm, and the carb stop should stop it at that point.. not the radio.

It could be a little lean on the low end.. but without actaully running it myself.. I can't say.. Do the pinch test and see where that gets you..
TTR S3 - Rossi M21 (on side lines all summer)
TTR ST-1 with LSK OMG..
Savage Racer -
spond is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-18-2005, 09:36 AM   #3
imported_Newfy

Low end was a little lean, 2 sec so i richened it up a bit now im at 3 to 3.5 the high end is around 220 but it seem the high end screw is in a fair bit to get this. The stalling is not so bad but when this is in my race truck thats not good at all. Im running Blue thunder and a Med fox plug. Any thing else i should look for.

Old 05-18-2005, 04:47 PM   #4
imported_lunytune
RCC Supreme Contributor

I am: James G

did you get an extra nedel with your picco? I did, I was having problems with tunning, i checked around, and i was told to yuse the optional black nedle that came extra with the carb, not I hae no problems

My photo album
imported_lunytune is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-18-2005, 05:34 PM   #5
imported_Newfy

nope no extra needles
Old 05-20-2005, 07:06 AM   #6
imported_colin

i dont know much sice im a newbe but had the same problem the othere day and it trund out to be the o-ring in the gas tank where i could not see it. take a good look to see nevere know i could be way off.
imported_colin is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-20-2005, 09:44 AM   #7
FearFerretRC
RCC Senior Contributor

I am: Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfy
Im running Blue thunder and a Med fox plug. Any thing else i should look for.
I am probably going to get shot for saying this... GET RID OF THE BLUE THUNDER!!!!!!!!!

I ran a gallon of blue thunder through a stock s-25.... if it didnt fire up on the first crack... flooded the motor (no it wasnt my tuning, the same thing happened to Stalker when trying to start my truck)

Next... if I ran it the a little rich.... it at higher temps begin to bog down and eventually flood itself out... do you know what hydrolock is? A friend of chewy's witness the hydrolock on the savage (running blue thunder)

I have since gone back to sidewinder race (30%) and have yet to have any problems with tuning and the fuel.

And finally.... from what I understand the .26 can be a bit a hag to tune.
FearFerretRC is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-20-2005, 07:19 PM   #8
imported_colin

yah i had 1 in my buggy a .26 froce and play with it all day and never git it i had a couple of guy dowen here try and tune it and still no farder off.
imported_colin is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-20-2005, 07:21 PM   #9
spond
Alumni Mod

I am: Scott P

I would have to agree with fear feret.. dish the blue thunder and get some side winder. 20/12 an you will notice it run a little nicer.. It won't get over bad tuning, but you will be able to eliminate the bad fuel aspect of it..
TTR S3 - Rossi M21 (on side lines all summer)
TTR ST-1 with LSK OMG..
Savage Racer -
spond is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-26-2005, 06:07 PM   #10
TriggerHappy
RCC Junior Contributor

Reviving the thread

Ok, so who is the picco tuning champ here? I wanna meet you! lol.

I spent lots of time this weekend putting in dual discs for sons ride and 3spd tranny for mine, and now I can't get her to stay alive. Stupid thing is that last time I ran it was no prob.

Here's how it goes. The idle seems to be half good. I've tried leaning and richening in every combination under the sun today. Started at 10:30 am and just finished now I'm beat. I did factory resets. Hi needle is one turn below flush right now. But that doesn't matter, I've had it to above flush and it still gives the same behaviour.

I took sponds advice and after 2 tries, I have the engine pinch test working at 4 seconds. So I guess this means the low needle is fine.

Now, I just put a 3spd tranny in, and changed my fuel tubing. I've been running stock tubing and tranny since I bought this sucker. What can it be?
TriggerHappy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Log-in