Flex Tek T-Maxx suspension arms - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Car & Truck discussion General Discussion about R/C topics

Closed Thread
Old 07-15-2005, 07:39 AM   #1
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: James G

Total Props: 0
Flex Tek T-Maxx suspension arms

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Issue 117 (August 2005) http://rc411.com/Words:: Mike Velez

Ever snce the original Terminator movie was released, our culture has had an obsession with titanium. More sought after than gold in some circles, titanium has an aura all its own. Titanium is super strong yet much lighter than steel. Flex Tek decided to do something no one else in RC has done: cast suspension arms out of titanium. Rather than cop an existing arm design, they completely engineered new suspension arms that exploit the virtues of titanium to their advantage. The first fruit of that labor are these cast titanium suspension arms for the Traxxas T-Maxx.

What They Are
The Flex Tek T-Maxx suspension arms are cast titanium replacement arms for the Traxxas T-Maxx. As the company's name might imply, the arms are designed to flex. I know what you're thinking, who wants arms that flex? Well, the arms are engineered to flex on a horizontal plane, so when you hit a wall or any other stationary object you're not breaking bulkheads or knuckles (there's no way in hell you're breaking titanium arms, regardless of the flex). The arms are designed to absorb the energy from the impact. And no need to worry about the arms bending out of shape from a hit, as titanium is one of the most fatigue resistant alloys on the planet. Think of the SR-71 jet expanding and contracting from supersonic flight. The unique design of each arm is such that there's virtually zero flex in the direction the arm compresses, so you get durability without sacrificing performance. The arms are sold in a complete set made up of four upper and four lower arms along with all mounting hardware including a complete set of titanium hinge pins. All of the arms and hinge pins are made in the USA.

Overall the installation went well. The instructions could use some accompanying photos. They're comprised of nothing but written text, and someone without any building experience would probably have a hard time with the conversion. Having said that, there was no special fitting needed. My only advice is to use thread lock on the nuts and screws that secure the shock ends to the arms to prevent them from loosening.

With my T-Maxx gassed and ready to rip I headed out to Revelation Raceway (www.revrace.com) to see how the arms felt on the track. After that I ran the truck around a parking lot to stuff some parking blocks and to see how well the "flex" in Flex Tek really worked. On the track the truck felt good; I could actually feel a slight difference on some of the mogul sections where the suspension felt more crisp, as though there was flex with the stock arms that I wasn't feeling thanks to the Flex Tek arms. On the parking lot I made it a point to jam some parking blocks at a decent speed, and that along with some big air at the track gave me more than a few opportunities to break something. On one occasion standing directly above the truck when it hit, I could see what appeared to be the right suspension arms flexing ever so slightly and literally absorbing the impact. Something must have been happening with the arms because after some crashes that definitely would have broken plastic or bent aluminum, the truck was clean, with absolutely no visual damage.

These arms are the ultimate T-Maxx accessory, as your truck will be come the "Terminator" of the track with its titanium endoskeleton. The uniqueness of cast titanium is very cool, as there's literally nothing like it on the market. Under certain track conditions you will see an improvement in handling with these arms. The quality is great, and the shock absorbing qualities will save you in the long run. Picking up a set of these arms will set you back $289, which isn't too much more than a full set of the best aluminum arms. Although it's a high price, it's not a bad value. Don't own a T-Maxx? Flex Tek just released an arm set for the Losi LST, and will soon release a set for the Traxxas Revo. If you're a serious basher, or even a racer, you'll want to take a good look at these unique arms from Flex Tek.
You can drive a fast truck slow, but you can't drive a slow truck fast!

My photo album
imported_lunytune is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:21 PM   #2
RCC Contributor

Total Props: 0
I saw a full page ad in R/C driver magazine i think it was july or augast edition but yea those arms look really diffrent from stock look, well for the tmaxx @ least
Poy [Mark] - HPI Electric Mini RS4 w/2spd and Novak SS4300
Tokzynus [Matt] - Ofna LX Comp - Force .26 [turned truggy, FG Marder wannabe' ]
BigWilly563 [Will] - TC4 w/19T Reedy

AnthonyXP [Anthony] - Losi Mini LST | Tamiya TB IV
On my mind -
Drifting, nothing but sideways action! Come get some!
imported_poy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.