How do we keep raceday on Schedule - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Car & Truck discussion General Discussion about R/C topics

Closed Thread
Old 08-17-2005, 11:33 AM   #1
RCC Apprentice

Total Props: 0
How do we keep raceday on Schedule

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Our organized racing has grown substantially over the past few years, and with that growth has come a problem of fitting more racers in the raceday schedule. I think any regular reader of these forums would know my opinion on our main issue - marshalling.

I am usually the one pushing the start button for the races. It is fair to everyone to start the race even when all of the racers are not on the line. It is not fair to the driver on the stand to start a race without the marshalls in place. Would you be upset if your race started and there was no marshalls?

Put this in perspective - if we have 12 heats (this will be the norm soon, even with 8 cars per heat) and we miss the start time of the races by only 1 minute all day we will be 48 minutes late at the end of the day. The four minute clock is the timer for the start of the race. Marshalls should be out on the track at 2 minutes and racers should be refuelling at 30 seconds.

Please correct me if I am wrong - is there a reason other than trying to get the marshalls out there that we run late? I am sure you can tell what my opinon is by my kind words at the track about marshalling.

It has become much better for me at the track by having someone else jump in to do some of the organizing and chasing of the marshalls. It's also nice to not have to carry a megaphone to have the cry for marshalls heard throughout the pits

Seriously, there are a few of us that volunteer to do the organization thing. I do it because I like to, and as I often tell people - "This is a hobby. If you are not having fun, don't do it." Chasing marshalls is starting to take the fun out of it. It was not a big deal when we had a few racers with 4 or 5 heats. Delays meant that you finished at 6:00 rather than 5:00
gdatmsc is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:07 PM   #2
RCC Expert Contributor

i am going to talk to Troy about an impound table at the next race. Also, at the beginning of the day mark out the marshalling spots.

We can also take a few extra minutes to try and ensure back to back racers are at a minimum.

I will take up my usual position of hounding people next Sunday, thanks for the Sunday off at the

imported_iflybyu is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-17-2005, 08:51 PM   #3
RCC Apprentice

I agree with the marking out of marshalling positions. At some tracks indicating the actual direction they are supposed to be facing might also be beneficial becuase some of the spots that are surrounded by 270 degrees of track should not be responsible for all that track area.

I still like the idea of an automated loud beeping system to remind drivers and marshalls when to be in place and how much time is left. I discussed this with Chris at the last Moncton race I believe and he mentioned recording loud beeps on a CD track (silent when not beeping) that runs for 4 minutes and say beeps at 2 minutes (1 beep), 1 minute (2 beeps), 30 seconds (3 beeps) and then use the air horn to start the race like you have been doing (so it can be delayed if necessary). This would just require one person to press "play" at the end of every race on a loud stereo and would not be much of an inconvenience.

I know there has been resistance to this in the past but it is something to consider.

Looking forward to the next Moncton race.
Chill is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:44 PM   #4
RCC Contributor

i agree totally. It really upsets me to see some of the organisers (mike and geoff) running around trying to get people to marshall. We need people to marshall more. Whats the big rush to go into the pits after your race and fix your car. I mean you only have another like 4 classes until you run that car agian. im sure waiting 5 more minutes will not kill anybody.
Its supposed to be a fun day. Seeing people all upset and running around is not fun at all. I dont see why we cant start right at 10 oclock on the dot unless it is raining. If you dont show up at 9 or at leist half an hour before the races start then you dont race that round.
it would help if everyone came on time but things happen that cant be controlled.If i had my own car id be there at like 6 am along with michel LOL!
If anyone needs anymore organizers or volunteers or any help just give me a holler. Id love to help out if its needed.

XLR8 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:03 PM   #5
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Michel L

One thing we should do to take some load off Geoff and Mike is train a couple of guys in Moncton and a couple in New-Glascow to run the lap counting system so they can actually have a bit more of a relax race day,just my two cents!!!
Don`t sweath the petty things and don`t pet the sweathy things...
imported_mirage is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-17-2005, 11:07 PM   #6
RCC Contributor

ya. if someone wants a break i wouldnt mind working the lap counting machine or doing anything else to help the day run smoother.
XLR8 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.