Stripped Gears On Tnx?? - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Offroad RC Discussion RC Offroad chat for truggies, buggies, short-course and more. Topics may include brands like Associated, Kyosho, Tamiya, Axial, Traxxas and more.

Closed Thread
Old 08-31-2005, 08:50 AM   #1
RCC Apprentice

Total Props: 0
Stripped Gears On Tnx??

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I bought a nitro tnx 4wd, and after the regular break in, on the first ride about 15 mins in, the transmission gear this a common problem?? i am new to the Hobby, i always has electrics, but nitro is a new world to me. Luckily it came with a replacement, but should i stock up on these things, or is it possible to get one not made out of plastic??

crash688 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:53 AM   #2
RCC Master Contributor

you mean the big gear (spur gear)? it can be prevented if the the clutch bell and that big gear are properly meshed together
Moved to air

Current : Align TREX 450 PRO VBAR 4s....fastest 450 in toronto.
Outrage Velocity 50 OS 55 beast!
imported_REVOS5 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:56 AM   #3
RCC Contributor

It can be common on the TNX for this to happen. Biggest thing is to make sure you have all the engine screws tight as well as keep an eye on the rest of the chassis screws as they can back out and cause the chassis to flex and change the gear mesh that way. Also even though you can't really adjust the mesh there's still enough play in the holes that when you go to tighten the engine down push it towards the front left corner of the truck for the right mesh.

There isn't a steel replacement but you don't really want one anyways. But I would stock up on atleast another pair just make sure when you do that you try to find a shop that has the new style of spur for the tnx. It's the same part number but Tamiya has now actually widened the spur for more durability. If you want more info on the TNX come on over to
imported_mavrick0 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:27 AM   #4
Grandmaster G
RCC Expert Contributor

The main cause of stripping the SPUR gear is the 4 bolts that attach the gearbox to the need to tighten them every few runs( a good rule of thumb is to go over all screws on any machine after every couple of runs)

Since the TNX has a set gear mesh and cannot be adjusted(TNX has a SET Gear mesh) threadlock the bolts that attach the engine to the chassis....check every so often.

I have read and heard of stripped SPUR Gears, but I have ran 2 TNX'S for more than 6 months with out stripping a spur gear. The 2 sources of the problem are listed above.
Grandmaster G is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:06 PM   #5
RCC Apprentice

i went to a local hobby shop, and they gave me 2 replacements at 26 bucks for both.... and the guy told me that the engine was perfectly matched with the tranny, like the gears are anyways...and i never tightened them...he did also tell me because of a 4wd truck i have to try not to hold the gas on while i land from jumps because of the power of the engine will cause it to strip....he said to loosen the nut holding it on while driving off road so the clutch would spin a ltitle instead of stripping.
crash688 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.