RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Car & Truck discussion General Discussion about R/C topics

Closed Thread
Old 10-26-2005, 12:00 PM   #1
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Brian Belanger

Total Props: 1
Nitro Engine Modifications

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I've heard a lot of mention of people modifying their motors for better performance, and was wondering if anyone has a good source of information on this topic.
I'm specifically looking at modifying an OS RG that I have here for a little more performance. The problem is I can't seem to find what I'm looking for using the search engines on the net. Any help is greatly appreciated.

And since we're on this topic, does anyone out there have any success stories or advice about modifying nitro engines? Maybe some performance tips or tricks? Might as well get a discussion going!
Gump is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:10 PM   #2
RCC Senior Contributor

Total Props: 0
I've modded my engine with pretty good sucess. When you take the sleeve out (used engines will have this) there are some dark marks on where the air and fuel mixture travels. Grind this area down as it will create a larger channel for the air to flow. Then angle the port. The key to porting an engine is letting the air flow as best as possible. Angling the port lets the air shoot up into the combustion chamber more easily. So you can do this to your intake and transfer ports. Leave the exhaust port alone. The exhaust output on the engine block can also be opened up, but only if it hinders exhaust gas flow. I don't think it should be a problem on the OS.

If your engine doesn't come with a knifed con rod, you can do that. But be aware that it may weaken the rod.
wedginator is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:57 PM   #3
RCC Senior Contributor

It is not the right motor but it will give you the basics

If you can’t afford to junk your engine, stop now If you can’t afford to throw away your engine, you shouldn’t make any of these mods. If you take your time and are patient, it’s unlikely that you’ll destroy your engine, but a slip with the grinding tool or a mental goof could turn your engine into a paperweight. If you can’t afford it, don’t even consider modifying your engine.
Ya, Ya I know, I see the carnage, but it's still race-able. Isn't it?
imported_Izzy-Racing is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-26-2005, 01:35 PM   #4
Alumni Mod
I am: Scott P

ya.. i went looking for tha tarticle as well.. it is a good basic point to start with.. and will work as long as you follow the concepts..
SUPERD's PAST PITMAN just ask SuperD
Sprucewood - First B-main, 9th A-main
Bellvegas - 4th A-MAIN Truggy
TTR S3 - Rossi M21 (on side lines all summer)
TTR ST-1 with LSK OMG..
Savage Racer -
spond is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-26-2005, 03:40 PM   #5
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Brian Belanger

Total Props: 1
I think i'm going totry something with this RG that i have (since igot it so cheap) and i'mnot sure if anyone has done thiskind of thing before. I'm going to send out my piston (not sleeve), con-rod and main bearing to be cold treated. I've beendoing a little reading on this subject and aparantly on some engine applications (automotive type engines) the results are hudge. This process aparantly strengthens the metal and prolongs its life. They use it on all kinds of cutting tools.

More info to come.
Gump is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-26-2005, 04:00 PM   #6
RCC Supreme Contributor

My uncle owns a machine shop where he manufactures racing engine heads (I mean 1:1 race cars, he did some stuff for Nascar), so he was telling me how he ported his helicopter engine for his .90 size heli, unfortunitely he lives in windsor so I can't exactly just ask hime to do my engine...

1978 VW Type 1 (Super Beetle) Convertible
PeanutButterJellyTime is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.