tire goo - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Car & Truck discussion General Discussion about R/C topics

Closed Thread
Old 02-04-2006, 12:26 AM   #11
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: David L

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Common household items that work for traction compound? Ofcourse!... Jack the Gripper and Trinity Zip free works just fine.

For the household's that have "Sun Tan Lotion"? Some worked and some don't. If it didn't work in it's raw form, adding stuff to it doesn't make it work magically. Additives do change it's properties; usually the "other stuff" is some kind of solvent/thinner, could also be something that attacks rubber. Try Coppertone brand with high SPF number. See if you can find an OLD EXPIRED bottle cause the newer stuff did not work well for me. Put the suntan lotion on foam or rubber, and let it sit for 5-10mins and rub it clean with a towel. A few years ago I used suntan lotion for a period of time after having allergic reactions to certain brands of traction compound (usually containing Wintergreen which is now illegal in Canada and various US states). Wintergreen stuff performed GREAT but had an aweful smell and was harsh on the tires. Use with caution.

As for Jack the Gripper and Trinity Zip free(and other brands), most seem to be "low odour", and work really good on foam and rubber. Most people have a preference towards 1 brand over another but I think it's somewhat religious. If you used brand A for a long time and then switch to brand B, you MIGHT not like it cause it's different and vice versa. I used Zip Free for a long time and I ran out during a race day and the track only had Jack the Gripper. The first time I used it, my car was all over the place! Later on I got used it, and everything is hunky-dory. Although I mentioned I had a reaction to Wintergree solutions, I suggest you try to have as little contact as possible with any brand stuff. Jack the Gripper is more mellow but still give me a burning sensation when it gets on the flesh between my finger and fingernails! But thats just me, not sure about everyone else.

Remember to clean the tires with a cleaner; could be specilized tire cleaner or simply non-chlorinated brake cleaner. Spray on cloth and rub tires clean. Then apply traction compound.

Traction compound is used to increase bite. But more so it is used to CONTROL it! Arbritrarily, it is possible that a car with all 4 tires treated with traction compound MIGHT handle poorer than the same car with just the rear tires done up. It depends on setup, surface, temperature, driving style, etc, etc. So more is not always better! Commonly for 10th scale foam or rubber, I start with full coverage on all 4 tires on first run of the day, and might migrate to 3/4 to 1/2 of the inside of the fronts and full rears depending how the car behaves as the day progresses.

For more information on traction compound........ GO BUY SOME AND FIGURE IT OUT YOURSELF!
#1 ranked offroadrc badminton player
TEM is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.