Canadian online store??? - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Offroad RC Discussion RC Offroad chat for truggies, buggies, short-course and more. Topics may include brands like Associated, Kyosho, Tamiya, Axial, Traxxas and more.

Closed Thread
Old 01-11-2008, 01:33 PM   #21
RCC Junior Contributor

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I buy quite a bit of stuff online. I almost never get charged duty if they mark the package "toy car parts". It can take a week or two to get things sometimes (if from Japan, Hong Kong, or Singapore and sometimes the US) but the price is usually right with shipping included. Not bad considering that I've been waiting for wheels on order from an lhs for almost 6 weeks! (not really local considering it takes me 40 mins to get there). I finally found them on ebay this am so I'll cancel the lhs order.

I've used greathobbies before, but their shipping wasn't as cheap as I though it would be.

I'll admit - I've never bought a full kit online though - usually just parts.
Venom Creeper
Tamiya Dark Impact
Sportwerks Raven BX
Tamiya TA-05R
Tamiya TA-03F
Tamiya F103RM
Team Losi Micro T
Team Losi Micro DT
bassguitar is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-11-2008, 01:39 PM   #22
RCC Contributor
I am: Chris Persyn

You've hit on one major disadvantage that Canadian Hobby shops...heck ALL hobby shops suffer from....

Tower Hobbies is the Retail wing of Great Planes.....

Great Planes has entered into direct competition with their customers. Often, by the time you factor in the pricing and coupon codes when Tower has a 'sale' they will actually sell product to consumers for less than they sell to shops.

Keep in mind, however, that Tower uses UPS as a shipping method and you may very well get dinged for additional brokerage fees.

As for the recommendation of having parts labeled as a 'gift' or with a false value....keep in mind, this practice is highly illegal.

Your best option is to contact your local shop, where you will be going to ask questions,race at a local track or just hang out....and give them the opportunity to come to a reasonable compromise with you from a pricing standpoint.

You may not in all likelihood be able to get the best pricing from your local shop, but they should be able to get close enough that it's justifiable to spend your money there once you factor in all of the extra value that they can provide you with local parts support, etc...

As for Oliver's blanket statements about 'all shops in Southern Ontario'....I don't agree from a pricing standpoint...

I know that Action Hobbies in Kingsville, Great Canadian Hobbies in Strathroy, and several London shops where pricing is very aggressive. I'm sure that some of the Toronto area shops have also sharpened their pencils when it comes to pricing with our stronger Canadian dollar.
Team Xray
Team Tekin
RC America
ChrisP is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-11-2008, 02:34 PM   #23
RCC Senior Contributor

Tower gives you a choice of either using UPS or the much cheaper, no brokerage fee but longer wait times...United States Postal Services.

I agree. I see some hobby shops giving out competitive prices than before.

One good example is my new E-Maxx. The owner gave me a good price with tax included when they came in. I computed how much it will cost me to buy it from tower, save $25 but add shipping and also be taxed when it arrives, it is pretty much the same. Waiting sucks big time.

But, IF only tower has the new E-Maxx in-stock last December and I save $40...It is a different story .

Consumers will FIND a way to get good deals and best buys...heck, who doesn't? My philosophy is, if I don't like your price...I'll ask nicely if they give any discount. If the price is as-is, I will just shop around. If I don't see it locally, then there is on-line shops and ebay - which is for me 90 percent of where my RC stuff are bought. Sad to say. but it's true.
imported_4wdmt is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:13 PM   #24
RCC Contributor

Originally Posted by Oliver_Klozov View Post
see why pay that price go here and get it for $370

Even with shipping you still save almost $100 thats alot of fuel!!!!!!
Buy all your parts there too and you will save %50 on parts vs your lhs's

Does anyone else want to have twice as much money for there hobby or do they want to see there lhs out buying New Cars and Vans and going on 10000 trips cough cough...

That post & price was from March, 2006.
rustler_guy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:19 PM   #25
RCC Senior Contributor

Oh man. This thread is already 10 months old. It's alive it's alive.
imported_4wdmt is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-11-2008, 05:05 PM   #26
RCC Apprentice

try Ideal Hobbys in Barrie hes got the Savage X on for 439.00 he gives me great deals ill deal there till otherwise its an expensive hobby find a good shop and try and buy from them only in the end it will save you some
Britt_Boy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:50 PM   #27
RCC Junior Contributor

ah what the hell

in Edmonton
Blue LST
SHEP is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:54 PM   #28
RCC Junior Contributor

I buy from Hobby Room quite often. They have good prices and great service.
imported_mistercrash is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-12-2008, 01:44 AM   #29
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Brian Belanger

Total Props: 1
hmmm... heres a random selection from an online canadian hobby shop vs. an online american hobby shop:
same price
hmmm... canadian is cheaper by a few...
canadian is cheaper again
canadian is cheaper again - even on a high end, very popular race kit!

of course you will be able to go through and find canadian prices on certain items higher than american prices on the same items... but not more than a few %.

and by the way, when your lhs goes under from lack of support, and you need a screw or a glowplug, a deans connector, a bottle of glue, a stupid antenna tube, a set of arms or maybe a fresh set of tires for your race TOMORROW or to go bash with your friends THIS AFTERNOON, just remember why it isnt there any more.
Gump is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:03 AM   #30
RCC Expert Contributor

change hobby LHS will match any retail online price I can find...its always better to buy in our local guys....I think that it may take some work to find the right Hobby shop for you but they are out there....Tower hobbies is the biggest rip off going...their shipping prices are unreal unless you join their club....which in my opinion is pptewwy.....who would ever pay a retailer just for the privilege of shopping there???
Penny Racer with Air brakes(only one in Canada)
Paris Junction Hobbies/Morgan Fuels/Ebay
Better to be dead and cool, than alive and uncool
imported_RCcanuck is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.