cleaning the toys - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Offroad RC Discussion RC Offroad chat for truggies, buggies, short-course and more. Topics may include brands like Associated, Kyosho, Tamiya, Axial, Traxxas and more.

Closed Thread
Old 04-11-2006, 04:17 PM   #11
RCC Pro Contributor

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Originally Posted by .justin.1191.
wd-40 take the oil out of the bearings. There has been so many threads about this.
on the topic of bearings... what would be the best way to clean them??
Crafty is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-11-2006, 06:07 PM   #12
RCC Contributor

clean them out with brake cleaner then re-oil them with bearing oil from your LHS.
.justin.1191. is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-12-2006, 07:03 AM   #13
RCC Expert Contributor

Remove Batteries, wheels and electronics,,,
I use a paint brush to remove big dirt and big crap....then I spray it down with brake cleaner.....then a light misting of WD-40 and a clean brush to make it shine....I wash the wheels and body with warm dish soapy water and dry with papertowels....oh something I tried the other night on my dish wheels......a SOS Pad.if you don't know what it is its a steel wool pad impregnated with great on dish rims that are very dirty especially if you run a side exhaust and that one wheel gets caked with what I call Nitro Grime...
I should learn to take pictures as soon as they are clean because they never stay that way long...

oh I also pull the wheel bearings out of the front of my Evader and soak em in WD-40 then reinstall them after the wheels are cleaned
imported_RCcanuck is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-12-2006, 10:30 AM   #14
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Muckey M

I take the car completly apart and clean it. Using pipe cleaner in the hinge pin holes. I don't take the diffs apart or redo the shocks every time though. Check the diffs and shocks for leaks and boots for tears as well. When the bearings get gritty replace them. At $1 a bearing why clean them ? A clean buggy will last longer. It doesn't take long once you know the buggy inside and out. Simple green is a great product. WD40 will put a shine on the plastic. You can use pedro's ice wax on the universals or white lightening as well.

Tooth brush
Pipe cleaner
Simple green
Brake cleaner (GM's is what I used. It was less than 3.50 a can)
Air Compressor - If you have one. I don't.
Pedro's Ice Wax or White Lightening - If you have it
Grease for bevel and crown gear - Unless you run them dry

Not sure if I said to much but there it is.
Mugenman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-17-2006, 08:15 PM   #15
RCC Expert Contributor

best thing to do is just blow it off with an air compressor and use a brush , WD40 leaves a residue on the plastic that makes stuff stick to it . there is an advantage of using limited wd 40 on an 1/8th scale buggy thought and other trucks and such . also Yes wd 40 eats the grease thats in bearings from facrtory.
matthew25 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:56 PM   #16
RCC Contributor

thanks guys, Im gonna try simple green. I also won an auction for a 2gal compressor, it should work great and Im also gonna use it for airbrushing.
imported_funford is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-18-2006, 07:56 PM   #17
RCC Master Contributor

it depends how muddy the vehicle is...

I take the hose to it to get the most of it... then I air compressor it off, then repeat the process with WD-40... it works great, and the plastic shines (of course there is no motor or electronics on it when I do this... forgot to mention that... )
Tamiya TRF501x
Tamiya TRF415MSX
Mugen MBX5R/Prospec
Axial SCX10
Hpi baja 5b
Tamiya Mini m03
26cc 70" phantom boat
imported_rcguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:25 PM   #18
RCC Apprentice
I am: Patrick
Radio of choice:
Futaba 4pl
# of RCs: 7

I take all the electronic and motor off... spray a lot of simple green and let it soak for a few mins and after I use my 1750lbs pressure washer to get it clean.. and it comme like a brand new truck!!!
pat750r is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-19-2006, 02:54 AM   #19
RCC Pro Contributor

After a muddy day like last weekend....

I leave body on and spray the tires and arms off with the hose, lots of muck...
remove the body and use fine spray to clean around the towers, tanks etc...
then blow it off with the air compressor, then soap and brush, and blow out with air compressor, then soak with carb cleaner/brake cleaner etc to clean out bearings, then wd40
finish it off by cleaning plastic and body with furniture polish... it actually makes the bodies look new, same with arms. takes what used to be a 5 hr job down to about 40 mins
Pipeous is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.