Need advice with possible purchase. - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Offroad RC Discussion RC Offroad chat for truggies, buggies, short-course and more. Topics may include brands like Associated, Kyosho, Tamiya, Axial, Traxxas and more.

Closed Thread
Old 05-06-2006, 11:58 AM   #1
RCC Senior Contributor

Total Props: 0
Need advice with possible purchase.

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hi guys. I want to try nitro (monster truck) again and I need your opinion.

I am reading the thread about the savage X and all the good recommendations about it. Its one of my choice. I'm just afraid of the problems people are posting (in other boards) about stripped spur gear, roto start failing and one way bearing slipping. Are these true?

Another choice is the t-maxx 3.3. Anyone have one that you can share your experience with? Is it still worth getting one? I had a t-maxx 2.5 before and I loved it. My only problem with that one is overheating issues. Do you think I will experience it again with this 3.3 engine?

Sorry guys. I'm not starting this thread to be a T-Maxx vs. Savage X. Its more of your posts directed at me and I will make a decision out of it. Any personal things like how you like / hate YOUR t-maxx 3.3 or savage X is more appreciated.

I had bad luck before with the Tamiya Terra Crusher having teething problems with its transmission and the T-maxx 2.5 tuning issues. I hope not to make a mistake again with my new purchase. Thank you and have a nice day.
imported_4wdmt is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-06-2006, 12:25 PM   #2
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Andrew C
Radio of choice:
Old School FM... Futaba mainly
# of RCs: 5+

base ur choice on what ur LHS stocks... if u only do ebay/mailorder then go with what ur heart feels.... the savvy is a great truck... and hpi is just fixing/improving the little brain farts from earlier production....

the t-maxx i dont know much about... i also had a 2.5 maxx and loved it til it started screwing with me.... i do wish i still had it tho... the new engine supposedly rips... so that can only mean good things

either way u know ur getting quality and dependability so really no need to worry

now... let the flaming begin lol
Old Beater Sable
ayk_driver is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-06-2006, 12:29 PM   #3
RCC Contributor

love my savage, the stock engine was great, 3sp tranny is awesome. there were a few week parts that broke and had to change them.
servo saver, because I put a really strong digital servo and cracked it.
changed the brakes for betting stopping power.
changed the rims to aluminum, kept over tightening and ruining plastic ones.
other than that, all the other stuff I changed was for looks or just to increase handling and power.
B4rs10, 9x2 modified motor, upgraded ESC, gearing
phillmassacre is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-06-2006, 12:31 PM   #4
RCC Senior Contributor

savage X just upgrade the spur to a Robinson racing spur gear from the original savage, the roto start in my mind sucks but the savage X has clearance for the losi spinstart which is a much better system, as for the owb just make sure you do not leave your tanks full and store the truck with the rear end raised so sludge does not build up in the one way, and do not use a back yard basher blend cos the added lube cloggs the one way, if you wanna see mine for a closer look just pm me we can meet up.
ps how is that usa1 doing?
imported_JROD is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-06-2006, 01:57 PM   #5
RCC Senior Contributor

thank you guys. ill take my time in deciding. ill take into consideration the nearest lhs that will stock parts of the MT of my choice.

hey jrod. my electric mt is as is. I dont think I can make it run if I purchase a new nitro soon, lol. thanks.
Old 05-06-2006, 08:04 PM   #6
RCC Contributor

I personally like the savage 25 vs the savage x and the T-maxx is
a solid truck as well. You should also buy your MT based on what you plan on doing with it, i.e. bashing, racing or just having street fun.
If it's bashing the savage is one solid truck, if it's racing, take a look at the REVO

AYK is right about the hobby shop, see what your local guy sells, that way if anything breaks (which at some point it will) or if you want to hop up your ride, then your not far to go.
Also look at how much you want to spend as well. MT's vary in price.
I also suggest going on HPI and TRAXXAS website to see there feedback and comments. My 2 cents
"My Garage"
Savage / Axial 28
REVO 3.3

Mayhem Buggy 26
Phantom Offshore racer 33"
Blade CX2 Heli
imported_Sledder is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-06-2006, 08:38 PM   #7
RCC Junior Contributor

Here it goes, I have a Savage and an LST. The Savage is near indestructable, but the LST is much better for handling and speed. I have not heard much about the Tmaxx, so my lips are sealed. The last few gents that suggested you check your LHS for available parts is a huge determining factor on what to buy. Good luck with whatever you decide on and let us know.
imported_Krazee is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-07-2006, 01:33 PM   #8
RCC Senior Contributor

My first nitro was a Savage 25 RTR. I found it hard to wrench on, that radio box was a complete waste of time . Parts are readily available alright but if you're not the kind of guy to spend an entire evening changing/upgrading parts then look for something with parts more accessible. The Savage X has corrected the concerns about the previous Savvys like easier-to-access diffs and user friendlier radio box. I now have the MT2 where everything is easier to access. The TNX also looks easy to wrench on but it is getting old, just like the T-Maxx.
MONKEY is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-07-2006, 08:18 PM   #9
imported_Rc Squirt
RCC Pro Contributor

i have a tnx and i love it i know thats its not on your list but i love it. get a tnx!!!
Justin Dasilva
Mugen Seiki
Alpha Plus Engines
Aka Tires
imported_Rc Squirt is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-07-2006, 08:49 PM   #10
RCC Senior Contributor

thank you for the tip guys. I'll take it into consideration. But the nearest hobby shop doesn't carry the TNX and parts for it.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.