re: Construction and Maintenance - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Clubs, RC Tracks, Events & Bashing meets Radio Control Clubs in Canada Radio Control Offroad & Onroad Tracks. RC Car Races, Events & RC Bashing Chat

Closed Thread
Old 08-01-2006, 10:44 AM   #1
RCC Senior Contributor

Total Props: 0
re: Construction and Maintenance

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
As of right now, the track is open all of this weekend for practice. We will be gathering a few people individually for some track maintenance and improvement. Having too many people there on the same day though will be counterproductive. It's great to see the enthusiasm and volunteers!

In speaking with Sid, we know that he just spent $4000 on the recent edition of adding a power line (to underneath the driver's stand). We need to show him that this track can and will be a huge success.

Let's start brainstorming more ideas on promoting the track on a larger scale. Ways to get new people out and into the hobby, and also rejuvenate all of the older electric racers who would still have an interest.

Sid certainly doesn't expect to make his money back overnight, but we need to give him confidence that this track is growing. We all want to have a track still here for us in 2 years, so let's try and focus our energy on making sure of that.

For example, if you're in a hobby store, and see other people looking at parts, cars, etc, I found that it's easy to start talking to them and about Sid's Raceway. Hand them a flyer (Steve will post the new one, currently in progress - this will reflect the 2 new trophy dates)

Please post more ideas you may have -

Mugen MBX6E
Losi 22
Durango DEX410
gremek is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:55 AM   #2
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: mark j.

well me and mike ( short kid with green emaxx) can help. we are planning on having a race this weekend so mabye we can be there to help befoe we have a race.
thats not easy!!! lol dom and evan

SAVAGE X eats revos and craps tmaxx's

the teeny tiny micro t

POSPS engineering --~-- lol dom.vroom gargle vroom bang its a bird,its a plane. its a piston
dracohowe is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:13 AM   #3
RCC Pro Contributor

Look How Far Sid's Raceway Has Come In Such A Short Time

Mike - well said.

Apr '06 - NO Electric Offroad Tracks in GTA
May '06 - Sid's Raceway begins construction
June '06 - Sid's Raceway adds a GREAT Drivers Stand
June '06 - Sid's Raceway adds a AMB Timing System
July '06 - Sid's Raceway adds AC Power
July '06 - Sid's Raceway 1st Trophy Race - SummerFest
Aug 20 '06 - Sid's Raceway 2nd Trophy Race - Dust Storm
Sep 30 '06 - Sid's Raceway 2nd Trophy Race - Fall Classic Cup

Photos Below:
Construction Beginnings top 2 pics
Trophy Races! bottom 2 pics
MUSTGOFASTER is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:01 PM   #4
RCC Pro Contributor

Myself I live too far away for weekly trips to your track but keep holding the trophy races and I will be out!

Peterborough Monster R/C Club
"Practice does not make perfect, practice makes Permanent! Do it right or don't do it at all!"
Crafty is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:34 PM   #5
RCC Apprentice

These guys are right - as much fun as Sid sees everyone having, this is still a BUSINESS for him. I don't think the owner even knew what R/C racing really was before someone approached him with the idea.

I have been around since the electric tracks were all around in the late 80s and watched them all close down one by one. Sid looks to be in a better situation, however, if the costs exceed the money coming in, then he can just as easily scrap the whole thing.

I want to get back into electric 1/10th scale and would be happy to help trying to promote Sids raceway in whichever way I can!

It does look like it is growing slowly... but if just the same racers are coming out each time, this won't justify the owner's expense.

Come on everyone! Let's push this hard! It's nice to just show up at the track and drive, but we all need to help spread the word...

Who knows, if this is successful, maybe we'll see another track open up for electric again...
mrnovak is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:53 PM   #6
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Earl A.

Total Props: 1
The Newbie Perspective

I suppose I was an easy hook because I already had most of the knowledge and equipment needed to get started. (Not to say that I don't have lots more to learn, and well, there is no such thing as owning too many RC cars!)

I guess what I'm trying to say is that a warm welcome and a family-friendly atmosphere were the clinchers for us.

So to EVERYONE: Try and be as approachable to newcomers as possible. Introduce yourself by name. Ask them questions such as how they heard about Sids, what is their interest, etc. If appropriate, offer to let them try your ride. Tell them about the website & forums. Imagine yourself as just starting and out and treat these folks the way you would want to be treated.

Practicing: Cameron & I have been try to get out 2x a week in order to get our driving skills up to a point where we (well mostly me!!!) feel comfortable about entering a race.

I must complement several racers (and you know who you are) for the advice and tips during these sessions. No newbie should have to be out there practicing by themselves unless of course they want to. Another reason to get them on the forums and announcing their intentions to show up.

How about a designated "learn to race night" with a couple of the old hands around to steer us all in the right direction? Maybe ending the evening with an informal fun race?

The Rentals: Yes, I know the cars are getting beat to death. Even I can tell that whoever uses them is getting a way less than optimal 1st time experience. Need to detune the cars so that they will be more manageable by first-timers. Can't tell you how many times I've seen them spinning in uncontrolled doughnuts as the driver gets used to their steering and throttle characteristics.

Perhaps when a rental goes out a refund coupon redeemable for part of an outing on raceday could be issued. The idea being to get them to come out and see and speak and "race" with us on a Saturday.

Racing: For non-trophy races a "first-timer races for free" policy. Just keep a list at registration and if we see a new name (with ID) then the person runs for free. This could be extended to some sort of discount for returning racers on their entry fees if they bring a first-time racer with them that day.

Just my $.02,

Narly1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:04 PM   #7
RCC Contributor

Getting youth hooked

Narly, I couldn't have said it better myself Has anyone thought of making up a rental fliers and stuffing some mailboxes in the local area? Maybe contact the local school about setting up a small after school program? Theres lots of untapped ideas out there to get people hooked on the hobby of RC. Is there an official Sid's Raceway committee?
imported_DV8ion is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:05 PM   #8
Mr X
RCC Master Contributor
I am: sir rcalot

as for the free track time for new people it could work as having people who drive at the track for their first time get to run for free for the day, next time they come they have to pay. this would get people hooked or give people a chance to try it out and see if they like it or not.
Mr X is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.