Tire foam turns to dust "part 2" - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Clubs, RC Tracks, Events & Bashing meets Radio Control Clubs in Canada Radio Control Offroad & Onroad Tracks. RC Car Races, Events & RC Bashing Chat

Closed Thread
Old 09-26-2006, 05:08 PM   #11
RCC Master Contributor

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Originally Posted by MustGoFaster
I thought that the T-DI wheels were a different size than the 2.2 inch B4 wheels. Are they not smaller?
No, they are the same size.
Actually I have a set of Dark-I tires and foams on a set of Proline B4 wheels. They fit better than the Proline tires do

I do not care for the tires, they are too hard. But i will definately try the Tamiya foams with Proline tires next time around. They are more firm than the stock foams. I figure they should be about the same as the 2 stage foam once you get the 2 stage squished and compressed into the tire.
Bdegan2 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-26-2006, 07:40 PM   #12
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: m p

I was just looking at my Bow-ties and noticed that they seem to be getting softer as well.. What to do...
entilza is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:32 PM   #13
RCC Junior Contributor

anyone ever figure out how to fix this problem?

maybe i should have asked this before i went ahead and glued a set on.
88wingnut is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:54 PM   #14
RCC Junior Contributor

Found this post on rctech.net. Not sure it solves the problem. Any experience or thoughts?

I'll post a little trick that we (AE team) did at the Florida Winter Champs that used to be held in Tampa Florida, USA....the year was 97' I think.

Anywayz, M3 Holeshots had just come out, and were the tire of choice on the huge high speed orange clay track. Although the tires were designed with sidewall support ribs, the tire still was so soft that in modified the tire wandered all over the place. This actually seemed to give the cars too much grip in sidebite, the cars would push too much (the track turned blue groove).

The guys had figured out a way to mount the Holeshots to keep them from "squishing" all over the wheel. All you need is some double sided indoor/outdoor carpet tape (it's very strong..and thin.)

You cut the foams' inside corners so they didn't get in the way of the glueing bead. Then you take some of the carpet tape and wrap it around the inside of the wheel (where the foam would sit) covering the entire width of the wheel (between the beads where the tire sits, on each side of the wheel.) Now take your tire foams of choice, and carefully stretch them onto the rim and get them as true as possible all the way around evenly on the wheel and press the foam onto the tape so it holds the foam in place. (you may have to peel up the foam in spots and re-position it to get it straight....so don't press the foam down onto the tape until it's completely straight.)

To mount the tire onto the foam/rim, turn the tire inside out first. Then take the correct bead and place it onto the recess of a bead in the rim. (be sure to double check the direction you have your tire facing when you start to mount it to the wheel because everything is kind of backwards as the tire is inside out! )

When you get a bead of the tire seated into the rim while the tire is still inside out, then stretch the tire over the top of the rest of the foam/rim (as if you were turning it right side out again) being careful not to disturb the foam's position, and place the other bead of the tire into the other bead of the rim. Now glue as you normally would being sure to "pack" the foam with your hands all the way around the tire to be sure it conforms to the tire now that it's on.

I made it sound like a tedious task, but it's not near as complicated as I make it sound. It's actually not hard at all. What this obviously does though is keeps the foam planted in the center of the wheel as much as possible, helping support the tire from distorting during hard cornering.....this will give the car better corner speed and better acelleration as the tire will keep it's more natural form during the run.

(Some people have also used the Kinwald foam glue to glue the foams to the rims also instead of using carpet tape, so this works as well.)
Old 05-24-2007, 01:49 PM   #15
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Sean H

I tried the boiling trick to reuse some rims. it worked really well. 40min submerged under boiling water and then with protective waterproof gloves, I snapped the tires off the rims without any trouble.

The foams and tires are now dry.

I am now able to use the foams again. I think that the older foams will work really well.

I also noticed that one of the foams that was being used in a very firm set of Big Shots was actually for Truck. I have tried these in my new bow ties. I am resorted to staying away from the stock bow tie foams. I have some that are already dead as previously mentioned

the boiling trick was much easier than I thought. you should try it. it does discolour white rims to a duller finish though. Some die in the water might be a neat idea!!
samboneecanada is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-16-2007, 06:37 PM   #16
RCC Senior Contributor

I am happy to report that the new 'method' of preserving foams seems to be working. I've had over 12 full runs/races on the same set of bowties, and they still close to feeling brand new...

Basically I used the plastic that the tires came in - cut a strip of the bag the same width of the foam and lined it inside the tire between the foam and the tire. Thisseems to reduce the friction drastically... now I hope that the foams actually last as long as the tires. We'll see what happens over the next 10 runs or so...

But in the past, after just ONE day of racing, the foams would already being feeling weak...
Mugen MBX6E
Losi 22
Durango DEX410
gremek is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-15-2007, 08:24 PM   #17
RCC Junior Contributor

Tried the strip of plastic trick today but after just one run felt a hard spot in both tires...turns out the plastic bunched up. Crazy wear over the hard spots on a brand new set
Old 07-15-2007, 08:56 PM   #18
RCC Contributor
I am: David Mandl

i'm hoping the trinity bomb one inserts i just bought help... #TK1512 sad i have to pay another 5 bucks but its worth a shot i suppose
2006 RC10B4
2006 RC10T4 FactoryTeam
1989 RC10 Graphite
1984 RC10 OldGold
Tekin RC10MidEngineConversion

Spektrum DX3
Mamba 4600 system
MaxAmps 5000
Sphere Competition ESC
Novak 7.5 L
Yuntong 5000
imported_superfly is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-15-2007, 10:02 PM   #19
RCC Junior Contributor

this is what im talking about
ok ya i may be running to much hp but man i dont want to run a stock motor in 4wd offroad.
wally1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 07-15-2007, 10:26 PM   #20
RCC Expert Contributor

sounds like hpis first run of Baja foams, i had one tire explode in my face going wot foam dust was all over me. the other tire i opened to see how they were and dust again.

i didn't read everything but could you duck tape or parcal tape the foam? i know this help the hpis untill they updated to the newer foams.
what's nitro

rc18t with mamba (blinged?)
speedygonzales is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.