Is there a plan? (aka ROAR legal?) - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Clubs, RC Tracks, Events & Bashing meets Radio Control Clubs in Canada Radio Control Offroad & Onroad Tracks. RC Car Races, Events & RC Bashing Chat

Closed Thread
Old 09-29-2006, 10:46 PM   #11
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Originally Posted by BUGNUT
Well said James. At last someone is talking sense. I'm all for a controlled class. I've been racing for 25 years now and with the exception of Sid's track, always in ROAR sanctioned classes. I don't know where this misconception about stock class being expensive comes from. Stock class is the cheapest class to compete in. You can't cut com's in stock motors because they are sealed motors, meaning you can't take them apart. If motors are taken care of properly, cleaned, lubed and brushes replaced on a regular basis they will last for years. Mine do! In some Roar classes the truck/buggy modifications are limited as are battery capacity. In a regulated stock class the winner is the person that drives the best, makes the least number of mistakes and has the truck/buggy set up right. NOT THE PERSON WITH THE DEEPEST POCKETS!

Stock ROAR class, SIGN ME UP.
When was the last time you bought a stock motor????

BTW ... you guys may want to refresh your knowlege of ROAR if you are going to be throwing that organization's name around. Based on knowing James ... and reading your collection of cars Bignut, I take it you are both "old salts" in this hobby - things have changed quite a bit in the past few years.
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 09-29-2006, 10:56 PM   #12
RCC Senior Contributor

Total Props: 0
I have to agree with mrnovak’s comments – look at the last club race results:

John Stewart ran a STOCK motor, and I ran my brushless 13 Turn – we finished one second apart. As a benchmark from the past, we have always finished close together.

What more proof do you need – if you want a Stock class, GREAT! But let it be for the right reasons. Please stop using the argument that guys with faster cars finish higher in the standings. Or guys who fork out more cash on faster motors have an unfair advantage. John ran a STOCK motor against all of our mods to prove a point! He even let me try his car after the race, and I can confirm that it was SLOW – fast for a stock motor, but much slower than the rest of ours…

I personally have tried it in touring class already, and it’s cut-throat. I’m not playing the battery game. I can’t afford it.

Mugen MBX6E
Losi 22
Durango DEX410
gremek is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-30-2006, 12:12 AM   #13
RCC Expert Contributor

we cant change the rules just because someones on a budget no offence.People who want to be competitve they wanna be competitive its there hobby and they want to be as best as possible at it, and if money isnt a object to them so be it but you can't put guide lines and rules just because you guys dont want to dump the money into racing hardcore. If you wanna race stock and someone else does and they dont mind chargeing ther batteries at 6.2 amps you cant tell them they cannot do that its there choice. If you want a stock class people there will be a stock class but you cannot put rules inside of rules(ex stock motor and can only charge your batteris at 5 amps.) < you just cant do it it will not happen, and u have to realize THERE WILL ALWAYS BE COMPITION THATS HUMAN NATURE

^^ and dont look at the post offensivly and dont put it to my name or hobby hobbies name , this is a discusion forum and people can voice there opinion
matthew25 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-30-2006, 12:35 AM   #14
RCC Contributor

Stock= easy+inexpensive lol. Stock is different not easy+inexpensive. I ran that last race totally ROAR STOCK legal car, battery and motor. I charged my batteries which are 1.5 years old by the way at 5amps as always and the motor was right out of the package i only ran it at 2volts for 5 min to break it in, no springs or brushes changed. I finished 3rd 1 second behind Mike G. and 11 seconds behind Adam L., 2 of the best drivers out at Sids to prove a point that a super fast and expensive set up is needed to make the A main, it is not. I hope we do get a stock class next year not because it is easy+inexpensive but because it is DIFFERENT. And i can guarantee that i will be in both Stock and Mod because it is another class to race and i love to race.
imported_stewart is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-30-2006, 08:45 AM   #15
adam lancia
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Adam Lancia

i was thinking that too stewart...when we ran stock and 19 turn at my old track, i'd race both classes because it meant more track time which equalled more fun for me! my practice packs are 5 year old 2400's (charged at 4 amps) and my race packs are year and a half old 3300's (charged at 5 amps, 4.5 amps if i have lots of time), both which are matched but i know the 2400's are on their way out. i'm glad you ran that stock motor (which one was it?) to prove your point. there's always someone who assumes that $150 batteries and $100 motors will make them faster...they will, if you can setup your car to handle the extra juice and can drive well enough to get the power from the tires to the ground...the most motor you would need on sid's is a 14 turn. i ran my 11x6 because it was the only one that would run well that day! if i had the choice, i would have run my 15x2 or 14x5...would have been easier to drive when it got a little slick. i used to have a 16x2 that was absolutely my favourite motor but it wore out. gearing, chassis setup, maintainence, motor tuning, tire selection and driving skill make up the majority of what it takes to be a fast driver...once you're good at those you can strap in all the horsepower you want and shave an extra .2 seconds of your lap times...
adam lancia is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-30-2006, 09:26 AM   #16

Stock or 19T or Mod or Brushless

Doesn't really matter which motor is used. Straight speed and corner exit looks the same on the race films I have watched no matter which motor is used. Said and done, watching the fast drivers lines and approach to fast lap times is still the best way to make faster laps. If you don't the fast guys lines then you will likely never be as fast as them. The closest I get to their lap times is when I hit their lines as much as I can. Motor speed has more negative effect on ability to hit the line than it has positive effect on regaining lap time lost due to driving error.
Anyway, for me, this will not matter a bit this year. The Raindate takes me out of the chance to chase Mike and the other fast guys for the chance to win so I'll have to wait til next year to test my ability to run their lines.
Good luck to all the racers tomorrow and I will do a "sun" dance to bring you all luck on the weather side.
  Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-30-2006, 09:49 AM   #17
RCC Master Contributor

Hey guys,
I probably have the least amount of experience out of the bunch, but here is what I have observed and learned. Big budget setups are not needed.
2 weeks ago for the first time, I finished a qualifier in first place. It was also the first time I completed 10 laps. My previous best was 9. My motor is an orion Method-R 13x2. It cost me $30 dollars brand new. How is that for budget. Now 13x2 may seem like a big number for a motor but I can tell you, its output is not that hot. There are 19 turn motors on the track right now that are faster than this thing.
I have 2 second hand GP 3700 packs. I do not know if they are even matched or not. Each of those 2 packs has a cell in it that will Hiss if it gets too hot. If I discharge them at 20 amps they hiss. So they are on their way out.
I have been spending all my time working on setup, and doing some laps when I get a chance, which is not very often.

From my observations watching Stewart and Mike and others. It is a clean consistent line. Work on your setup, It is amazing how a small setup change will effect the way the car handles.
Bdegan2 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-30-2006, 09:53 AM   #18
RCC Pro Contributor

i ment 1/18

Originally Posted by Bikerbob
I do! - We have 2 of them .. MO3 and MO4L - and you know what? they are a hoot to run..

This winter I will be running my on-road stuff back at Fastcats.

You know what I run? 19t rubber tire TC and Mini...

I have fun on a budget.. You know what I just bought over the net Kevin.. 2.. yes 2 19t race motors.. fresh cut after 1 day of racing.. ready to go with NEW brushes for $22 (SHIPPED!)

Brings me back to my point.. if the Sids Raceway Group (aka those that run it!) can commit to a controlled class of somekind. Then those that would like to run that type of racing can plan for next season.

One final thought.... the most popular form of Motorcar racing in the world is NASCAR... THE MOST TIGHTLY REGULATED... because on Sunday.. anyone can win!
imported_k1e1v1i1n is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-30-2006, 09:58 AM   #19
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: John Summach

I'd be down with a stock class and a modifed class. That's how we used to run things "back in the day". Gives you lots of racing and the opportunity to run a "spec" class and a open class. You'd be surprised how little a difference there is in lap times considering the different power set ups.
Great Hobbies - Team Durango

"Almost Live Race Coverage":

"Finding Your Dream Home"
johnnyboy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 09-30-2006, 10:03 AM   #20
RCC Contributor

It was a CO27 Trinity, and that was the first time running it, no experimenting with gearing just a 21/78.But for tommorow i will have a 13x3 in just to keep you guys honest lol,and if traction is good i always have my old 10x2. I might put it in for one quallifier to see if i can crack the 11 lap bairrer people have come close but so far not yet, looking forward to all the fun tommorow cant wait it seems like x-mas eve when i was a kid lol.
imported_stewart is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.