Novak ESC wire replacement - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Clubs, RC Tracks, Events & Bashing meets Radio Control Clubs in Canada Radio Control Offroad & Onroad Tracks. RC Car Races, Events & RC Bashing Chat

Closed Thread
Old 10-07-2006, 04:56 PM   #11
I am: Boolean21

Total Props: 56

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Originally Posted by mgrmek
When doing my research on these Novak brushless systems, it was common for them to overheat - they come with extra long thinner 14 guage wire. The trick seemed to solder on thicker wire, and shorter, and this would decrease the resistance. I haven't had trouble with mine since...

Also, gearing low is the key...
Since Mike has experience with this, I would try his suggeston as well... in addition to the fan on the speed control.
PurgatorY is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-07-2006, 09:34 PM   #12
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Earl A.

Total Props: 1
Soldering and De-soldering

Originally Posted by MustGoFaster
I will defer soldering questions to the guru Narly1 but until he has time to answer I would suggest that when you are soldering make sure you have a damp(with water) sponge which you clean the tip of the iron with each time you make a connection. This will keep the tip clean and allow the heat to transfer better.

Hey MGF, thanks for the complement!

This is what I have learned from a career of soldering and desoldering electronic components:

The idea is to be like a mercenary: get in quick, do the job, and get out just as quickly. This means having the right sized iron for the job and having everything prepared (clean) before you start.

Cleanliness is next to godliness. When soldering, this means that the two (or more) surfaces being joined, the iron tip, and the solder itself (yes, solder does oxidize if it's been sitting around awhile, ask me to show you some that has) all have to be as clean as possible.

A word about soldering irons (well, two words): Tips oxidize. This means that you either have to clean or tighten the electrical/thermal connections from time to time for best soldering iron performance. The best example of this is a soldering gun that's slow to heat-up. Try tightening the two nuts that hold the tip on and note the results.

I have seen the odd person at Sid's using acid core solder or acid paste flux to clean the two materials being joined during the soldering process. While fine for your pipes at home, this is a big no-no in the electronics world. Why? The conductors are either so thin or small that the acid can potentially eat them away completely.

Some tricks to prep conductors for soldering:

1. For copper: Vinegar then water rinse then dry thouroughly. This works great on battery bars.

2. Pencil eraser on printed circuit board traces.

3. Try fine emery cloth or a scalple blade on fanned out conductors in stranded wire. Clean thoroughly before soldering to get all the bits of grit out.

"Tin" (Pre-solder) the two components before you try to solder them together. The idea is to get a thin coat of solder on both pieces. Wipe each piece with a damp rag to get the excess off if you use too much solder.

The trick with soldering is evenly heating both pieces to be joined. You can adjust the heating bias between the two surfaces by letting more of the tip area rest on the part with the greater thermal mass. Also, solder always runs ("wicks") to the hottest area.

Finished joints have a higher melting temperature because the solder has alloyed with the base materials (usually copper) in the components that were joined. I sometimes add a bit of new solder to an old joint I am trying to desolder to get the melting process started. I'm not sure, but I think I'm diluting the percentage of base metal in the solder 'puddle" (thus lowering its melting point) when I do this.

Hope this helps,

Narly1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.