Motor Maintenance - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Clubs, RC Tracks, Events & Bashing meets Radio Control Clubs in Canada Radio Control Offroad & Onroad Tracks. RC Car Races, Events & RC Bashing Chat

Closed Thread
Old 10-30-2006, 03:25 PM   #1
RCC Contributor
I am: Jay L

Total Props: 0
Motor Maintenance

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
For brushed motors, anyone know a link or a good site on how to maintain them? I have a couple really good motors that i like alot, but they just dont have any juice left in them. I'v put new brushes in them (thats really the only thing i know how to do with brushed motors), and they dont have near the power and torque they used to have. Would getting the comm lathed (sp?) help or make that big of a difference? Any suggests or tips would be greatly appreciated. I dont want to see two really good motors go to waste. One is an Orion Element (the green one) and the other is a Trinity Komodo Dragon Pro, which used to be able to keep up to 15t motors.
knahs is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:31 PM   #2
RCC Junior Contributor

Without cutting the com you have not done your motor any favors.It should be cut regularely and your brushes should be inspected for discolouration after every run.Some is normal but very dark or over 1/3 of the way up it isn't a good sign.Hopefully someone your way can help you out.It really isn't something that can be adequately discribed over the net.Kind of like how cherry pie tastes on here!
If you're not having fun you're doing it wrong!
Knowledge is power;hand eye cordination is a different issue!
imported_Kevin is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:34 PM   #3
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Earl A.

Total Props: 1
I would hardly qualify myself as an expert but I have been having good luck (I think?) by doing the following:

1. Flushing the brush dust out with electronics contact cleaner ( the plain stuff with no lube in it) after every 4-8 runs (Interval depends on how lazy I am feeling! LOL).

2. Replacing the brushes and re -cutting the comm when I can't clear the double any longer!!

I figure I have a lot more driving skills to aqquire before I need to do anything fancier!!!

Narly1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:58 PM   #4
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: m p

If you've noticed dramatic power loss then you are most likely due for a comm cut. Recutting your comm and some new brushes will definitely bring it back to life. I can cut your comm for you next time if you still need.

If you want to learn some more about motors read this during the off season

R/C Motor Black Book:
entilza is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 10-31-2006, 02:13 PM   #5
RCC Contributor
I am: Jay L

Thanks guys, that really helps. Looks like i need the comm cut to get the juice back that i had before.
knahs is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.