i got an savage x ss now i need brake in help - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Offroad RC Discussion RC Offroad chat for truggies, buggies, short-course and more. Topics may include brands like Associated, Kyosho, Tamiya, Axial, Traxxas and more.

Closed Thread
Old 11-04-2006, 07:54 PM   #1
RCC Noob

Total Props: 0
i got an savage x ss now i need brake in help

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
hi i just got a hpi savage x ss and im not sure how to brake it in properly like what kind of nitro to use and how many tanks do i idle the engine for

ps do you recomend any hop ups for this truck
blake is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-04-2006, 08:08 PM   #2
Resident complainer

no there arnt any serious hop ups needed with the X SS.....

....and there should be a instructions on how to brake the engine in. there are many ways to do it, personally i idle 2 tanks with the wheels off the ground. then run around and slowly go a little quicker with each tank till you are at about 11 or 12 tanks......then start to tune it. but more and more different ways of doing it are used by people....do what the instructions say tho
POWLING is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-04-2006, 08:18 PM   #3
RCC Contributor

Use sidewinder 30/12.
.justin.1191. is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-04-2006, 08:33 PM   #4
RCC Junior Contributor

Idling it for a tank or two when the engine is brand new is generally a bad idea. (especially with no load on it) You want to break in the engine at the temperature you are going to normally be running it at, and idling will not produce these temps. (you want the piston and sleeve to expand to the normal running size so you get the proper fit) A good way to break in an engine is to heat cycle it, bringing it up to running temperature for a couple minutes, varying rpms, then letting it cool down while the piston is at bottom dead center. Some manufacturers break-ins follow this process.
Read this page for some good guidelines to follow :
sutherlandan is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.