heli help pleez ! - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Heli Discussion Discuss general topics on rotary wing aircraft, including construction, Servo's, Gryo's and Stabilizer discussions. Heli Pro Shop

Closed Thread
Old 11-18-2006, 10:08 AM   #1
RCC Expert Contributor

Total Props: 0
heli help pleez !

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
hey guys.
i have a question that is really discouraging me. i baught the Walkera 22E at the hobbyshow (a Hornet clone i heard). I am a COMPLETE BEGINNER to the air. the chopper is still virgin to the 5ft height, lol.
my Q is: my chopper is not tuned properly, when it gets a bit of lift (on the ground still mostly) it starts to drift left/forward, and turn clockwise. i messed around with the trims alot, both ways, and im not getting anywhere. and once it gets off the ground it drifts the same way and then i try to correct, but its so touchy and rips the other way, and i correct and correct untill it crashes or i get scared and back off the throttle hoping to land strait. so what would i adjust on it to increase its stability and straitness ?

...also, where should i set the PLT and PIT knobs ?

...3rd, is the balance point for a heli suppose to be on the main rotor shaft ?

thanks alot ! , and im hope'n im not looking too much like a dumb- on this one. but i did mention i am a beginner to the air.
imported_gremlin_390 is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 11-18-2006, 12:09 PM   #2
RCC Supreme Contributor

Just to answer the cg question. Yes it should be at the main rotor shaft, if you pick up the heli by the blades it should be parallel to the ground. As for adjusting the gyro I don't know, I'm still trying to set mine up..the trex is a big step up from the cx
imported_VEN is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-18-2006, 01:50 PM   #3
RCC Supreme Contributor

If you want a really good flight sight go to www.rccanada.ca
Post your problem there.
imported_RC-SUPERMAN is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-18-2006, 04:51 PM   #4
RCC Contributor
I am: dmaindonnie
# of RCs: 5

Not 100% sure about your heli but my Cp Blade and Lepton will drift somewhat to the left also. Mine is however very minor. I'm told that this is "some what" normal due to the main blades and there rotation. As for the tail wagging, it's all about the gyro or in the CP blade's case the 4 in 1 gain control (i.e. built in gyro). When setting up the gyro - MAKE FINE ADJUSTMENTS ONLY! This was the key to both my heli's gyro set-ups. Try http://www.runryder.com/ for info, they have a huge forum with various heli's sub groups. Good Luck SO
"D" Main Donnie
08' Tamiya TCS R.O.Y.
Immersion RC Vortex/Pro 250
1/5 4wd MCD FT-RR5
SensoryOverload is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-18-2006, 04:51 PM   #5
RCC Senior Contributor

In terms of trim, make sure the swashplate is perpendicular to the ground. Use the trims to trim that first without operating the throttle. Try to eye it as best as possible. This should give you a ballpark trimming. The fine tuning you will do in the air.

The helicopter does drift to left upon takeoff because of the tail rotor pushing. Once your heli starts sliding to the left, you'll need to increase the throttle a little faster till it's in the air and compensate with the aileron at the same time. It's a gutsy move for a beginner, but it's something all heli pilots have to go through.

Next is your rudder. Use your rudder trim and compensate. Sometimes, you'll need to move the servo that controls to rudder to get mid point if your gyro doesn't have AVCS.

Then use the trims and fine tune it. Since you're a beginner to helicopters, I would suggest you read up on helis. Helicopters are NOT an easy thing to learn. It takes hours of practice in order to hover properly. Helicopters are naturally unstable so you'll need to continually move all your sticks simulaneously. It took me a month to produce a steady hover. And now, it's been 11 months and I can do some light aerobatics.

Some words of encouragement told to me by Arden from A&J's: "Don't give up" I was persistent, and kept flying no matter how discouraging my beginner flights were and now I'm having a blast flying.
wedginator is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-18-2006, 05:46 PM   #6
RCC Expert Contributor

thanks for the advice everybody, il keep working at it to see what i can get. and thanks for the words wedginator, il learn this thing if it takes me 5 helicopters .
imported_gremlin_390 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 11-18-2006, 06:29 PM   #7
RCC Pro Contributor

Best advice.... don't use trims. you need to get the setup with mechanical adjustments. I check my balance by holding the flybars and moving stuff to get it balanced.

After that you set up pitch curves. I make a jig to hold the flybar parallel with the tail. Usually the blade holder or something like foam. also use a bubble level.

then check the pitch settings with a pitch guage both left and right sides of the heli. set all the settings on one side first then set the other and adjust the linkages so both sides are the same at low mid and high stick. this will get the tracking very close to start off. I personally start with stunt mode and go for -10 to +10 (or whatever you are going for but make it even top and bottom) and I start with zero at center stick. even if you aren't going to use stunt yet, it is more parallel to work with. then I set up normal mode.... you need to get it about -4, +4, +10, then make adjustments to pitch and throttle curves to get the headspeed where you need it.

the only settings you should be making with the radio is pitch and throttle curves. you will also have a channel to use for adjusting the gyro gain, if the gyro is equipped with one. a good gyro makes all the difference in easy and hard flight. I love futaba and at stock settings in the manual I have always been able to lift and take off

Before changing the gyro, make sure the tail blade pitch is set. usually you want the lever to be 90 degree angles to the tailboom. this is common but check the manual for the actual point they say. the preset angle is usually almost perfect pitch to hold the tail.

check the gyro is operating in the proper direction. with the unit on, move the tail around and make sure the pitch changes to push back opposite the way you are moving. this will show if it's reversed or not. remember to unplug the motor so you don't accidentally bump the throttle (ask me how I know about this LOL)

it is normal to pitch left when taking off. you just need light touch on the controls to counter on lift. you need to get the heli 3 feet up, or so, to get out of the ground effect. the blades cause a lot of turbulance near the ground which makes the heli harder to fly until up and out of it.
Pipeous is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.