A Useful Training tool - For everyone!!! - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Clubs, RC Tracks, Events & Bashing meets Radio Control Clubs in Canada Radio Control Offroad & Onroad Tracks. RC Car Races, Events & RC Bashing Chat

Closed Thread
Old 12-13-2006, 08:31 PM   #1

Total Props: 0
A Useful Training tool - For everyone!!!

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
The Basic Guide To RC Car Turnmarshaling

Many people who have never drove at a organized R/C Race track may have not heard this term before. So I am going to start off with the basic definition of a turn marshal. A Turn Marshal is driver that immediately returns to the track turns over cars after his or her race. Here are the responsibilities of the turn marshal:

1) Help maintain a clear race course for competitors.

2) Assist vehicles that have become unable to move because of a crash or spin.

3) To remove from the track and disable vehicles that are unable to continue because of mechanical
problems (By the shut off switch whenever possible or unplugging the battery with electric vehicles and the appropriate method to shut down a gas vehicle).

Provide an open race course for the rest of the racers as QUICKLY and SAFELY as possible.
If you race, you have an obligation to Marshal. Different tracks handle marshaling differently. Some tracks have numbered pylons corresponding with your starting position to indicate where you assignment is. Others just allow you to pick a corner or area of the track. In Either situation, after your race is over, disable your vehicle and return the transponder as quickly as possible and go to your Marshalling position. This will help the race day go smooth and as quickly as possible.

Here are the basics of turn marshaling:

1) When on the track be sure you are not standing in a driver’s line of sight or blocking a view of a portion of the race track.

2) Stay focused on your assigned portion of the racetrack. It is easy to get caught up in watching the race and miss getting someone on their way or clearing the track quickly in a crash.

3) First to crash is first to be flipped in multi vehicle pileups.

4) Be impartial- Every driver and car should be treated equally. Don't turn over a friend or family members vehicle first if they were on the tail end of a crash.

5) Never step into oncoming traffic to get a disabled car. These vehicles, Electric or Gas are traveling at a speed that could easily injure you if you are struck by one of them. Wait for a reasonably clear place to move to the disabled vehicle. MOVE QUICKLY.

6) Never put a vehicle in the path of oncoming traffic. The proper method is either wait until traffic is past and reset or lift the car off the track to keep other cars from hitting it and then place it back in the race when traffic is clear.

7) Set the vehicle, not throw it on the track going in the right direction. Don't just turn it over and let the driver to make a large turn to get going in the right direction. Set the vehicle in a position that the driver can quickly reenter the race on his own. Be aware of vehicles that have jumped over barriers. Put them on the track where they left the track and not where they landed. On tracks with a lot of switch backs this could advance the vehicle unfairly ahead of competitors.

Attempt to repair minor damage if you can quickly, (Popped Rod ends, loose batteries, dislocated CVD’s, wedged in body parts, etc. Remember... The Cars still in the race have priority!!!! If you have to, hand the vehicle over to a friend of the driver or just shut it off and tend to the track.

9) If you are not able to Marshal the next race, it is your responsibility to inform the track officials or find a replacement marshal. At many tracks you are penalized a lap or disqualified for not Marshalling and not informing the officials.

10) Please remember when you are driving, Do not scream at the marshals. Abusive language is not acceptable. If they don't see your vehicle, then yes you can get there attention. Treat people like you want to be treated.
Here are a few things to be aware of. Be conscience of areas of the vehicle that can harm you.
Gas engines have exhaust systems that get hot and electric motors get very hot too. Be cautious of moving parts. Wheels, axles, and flywheels can all cause injuries. When on the drivers stand, please wait until the Marshal has released your vehicle for their safety, before hitting the throttle. Make sure you don't have things in your pockets that can fall out on the track as you are assisting vehicles.

In closing, there is a time and place for everything. When you are marshalling a race, it is not the time for a smoke or to eat. Surely you can wait until the race is over for those things. There is a saying that holds true, if you don't like being Marshaled don't crash. The most important thing to remember is that we are all out there to have fun.
Happy Racing and Marshaling,

From Las Vegas RC site
  Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 12-16-2006, 04:20 PM   #2
RCC Contributor

I strongly disagree with item #8. Having raced competitively for over 20 years, I have never been at a track where a marshal is encouraged to repair cars. The drivers need the full attention of the marshals. A marshal distracted by a repair can cost a driver the win. If your having a "fun day" or not competing one could turn a blind eye. But during competition this is not acceptable.

Attempt to repair etc minor damage if you can quickly, (Popped Rod ends, loose batteries, dislocated CVD’s, wedged in body parts, .

A marshal is never to attempt a repair of any kind. A marshals attention must always be on the race. If a car becomes disabled for any reason the car must be placed aside on its roof. The on/off switch or battery is not to be touched by the marshal. It is the responsibility of the driver or pit crew to get the car and make the repair. A marshal is never to leave his/her assigned position until the race is completed.
If you think you're in control, you're not going fast enough.:GRIN:
imported_BUGNUT is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-17-2006, 06:11 PM   #3
RCC Contributor

I agree and disagree. I think that there sould be some kind of attempt to fix it if time permits. If it came down to a ball cup form a steering arm popping off and there was no attempt to fix it and you were in first place or the top three, I know that I would be pissed off. At least if there was an attempt made that there should not be any problems. Things like this could lead to hostility between drivers even friends. As they say that it is a two way street. As they say that we are there to have fun.

Tamiya F104,Tamiya 416WE and Team Durango 210
My wife says if I buy one more Rc car she is going to divorce me...................Man I am going to miss her!
imported_Redwings is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-17-2006, 09:11 PM   #4
RCC Pro Contributor

Originally Posted by Redwings
I agree and disagree. If it came down to a ball cup form a steering arm popping off and there was no attempt to fix it and you were in first place or the top three...Paul
This just happened to me this Saturday at Niagara in the 2wd Buggy A-Main. My steering arm ball cup popped off and Brent was nice enough to pop it back on and get me back into the race. I ended up finishing 3rd place and it was for points too!

Thanks again Brent!
MUSTGOFASTER is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 12-17-2006, 09:43 PM   #5
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Earl A.

Total Props: 1
I guess in a perfect world with high stakes you would have "neutral tech support" on the track in addition to the marshalls. Theoretically they would be responsible for taking care of the minor breakdowns, leaving the marshalls free to perform the marshalling function exclusively.

Suffice to say for that for the majority of local "club" events, rounding up sufficient warm bodies just to do marshalling duty can be a challenge!

Narly1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.