Need glowplug advice (oh no, another one!) - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Car & Truck discussion General Discussion about R/C topics

Closed Thread
Old 01-20-2007, 12:43 PM   #1
RCC Noob

Total Props: 0
Exclamation Need glowplug advice (oh no, another one!)

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
I have a Kyosho GXR28 (0.28ci, 4.6cc) and am burning through glow plugs bad. Used over 6 in half a gallon! The car is new and came with a Kyosho gp of course. It burnt through the oem plug in around 3 tanks and I figure this is break in issues. Seeing as I can't find oem Kyosho plugs here in Canada, It was suggested I use OS#8 by the hobby shop I bought it at. From there I continued along a path of burning plugs after every 2 or 3 tanks. I contacted OS about their advice regarding plugs and they said to try the A5, so I did. Not much changed. I had another store dissasemble the engine and inspect it as it was suggested that maybe it was hardware failures, no problems with the engine. The same store changed the tuning slightly (richer)and again not much changed other than I was spitting oil all over my wheel! I am using Monster Fuel 20% nitro and often running in temperatures around 7-15oC (I bought the car late in the fall). The mixture screw is presently in around 0.5mm (close to out-of-box) and the high end screw is around 3 turns right now (again close to out-of-box, was less for a while but the last run was in around 6oC). Cylinder head temp is always around 120oC (recommended temp) and the car seems to run ok. The coils never appear distorted nor do they get sooty. I am an automotive mechanic and from my spark plug knowledge, I would say they always look good. Putting the glow igniter on them after removal reveals only that they do not light or in a couple of cases do not light bright. The only other detail I can think to mention is that the car never stalls, it just does not want to start again after it is stopped until I install a new gp. The only thing I can think of is that the GXR28 does not like OS plugs but Kyosho USA tells me that it shouldn't be a problem and that it is likely my tuning. I have tried everything lean to rich in the tuning dept and not a whole lot changes. I have only burned half a gallon of fuel and have spent nearly $100 in gp, soon I am going to toss this thing in the garbage! (Can you tell it's my first Nitro) Any ideas!
bikeman is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:44 PM   #2
Speed Metal
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Bill N.

First of all welcome to bikeman! I hope you enjoy your stay here. On to your problem...

Do you have any buddies that run nitro buggies as well? If you have access to someone else's fuel try a tank full of that. As long as you know that the fuel you're using is good.

I had the same problem. Couldn't get my RB Mods RB Concepts C6BB to run right and was burning plugs like crazy until I tried a tankfull of my buddies's fuel and presto! Car ran great! It turned out my fuel had taken in some moisture.

Before resorting to drastic measures, try someone elses good fuel. If your engine doesn't run properly then, I don't know what to say unless I could hear/see the engine and car with my own eyes. Good luck!! Keep us informed.

speed metal
Chequing Account Factory Team Driver.
Proudly sponsored by debt and taxes.
Speed Metal is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-21-2007, 12:51 AM   #3
RCC Noob

Fuel, maybe - but unlikely.

I have learned that nothing is impossible! However the buggy is new and so was the fuel. I will take your advice and try another batch as soon as I have an opportunity to run the car, but I am doubtfull. I also agree and understand fully that without hands on (and ears on) trial, there is not much that one can do to rectify these complicated issues. On the other hand, I am very new to Nitro and have a lot to learn. So to all of you who try to help - thanks for your opinions and I am confidant than in some way, all your info will be absorbed and appreciated.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:13 AM   #4
RCC Senior Contributor

im no pro but are you missing shims under the heatsink?count how many if any and see if thats correct from the factory try adding one if anything hope that helps
gws p51d
gws beaver
hobbico superstar ep
eflite t-34
mini bcx
blade cx
mini lst-mamba 25
rs4 mt 4wd racer
all controlled spektrum
imported_connected15 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:31 AM   #5
RCC Junior Contributor

bikeman.. do i know you?

about the plugs burning up ya could try adding an extra shim on the head if its tuned and keeps burning plugs
revo 3.3/picco .26max/resonator/foc/tekno wing mount/proline 1/8 wing/3.3 crowd pleaser/ rpm a arms front and rear/40 series bowties on 23mm Cheyenne Chrome Wheels/ hitec 645ms single steer/futaba S3010 throttle
imported_cliff is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-21-2007, 09:13 AM   #6
RCC Contributor
I am: D.S.
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 4

Heres the dumbest of all ideas

You say the motor runs great until you shut it off then will not restart. How are you stopping the engine. My old revo if you plugged the fuel line and let it run out it would overheat the plug and not restart. Now I put my shoe on the flywheel and the motor doesnt scream lean and heat up. Starts great all the time... now

Good luck and if there is anything I can help you with I am in Newmarket. and also a mechanic so I know how you feel. These things are quite similar to the real thing eh?

I am
ruffmt1 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:26 PM   #7
RCC Supreme Contributor

These little engines are so tempormental. All the ideas are good.

I think the shim thing is probably the problem. To much compression and it is blowing out the plug. This is why when you finish your tank all is good as the heat from the engine is keeping the plug hot enough to give the spark needed.

Some Hobby shops will have fuel on there shelf for years and if it has not been stored correctly it will couse havic, however usually the engine does not run well either.

The stopping it idea from Dave has never been as issue for me with my OS engines but sometimes it is that simple.

Are you sure the plugs have no pitting after they are blow and nothing on the filiment. If not that is good as nothing is going through the engine. Like a bad bearing or dirt or water through the air filter!

Keep us posted!! We all can learn from this.
David McLean
Team Kyosho Canada
Mac is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-23-2007, 12:29 PM   #8
RCC Noob

Updated Info

The engine does have 1 shim installed, and came from factory like that. Up until now I have pinched the fuel line to stop the engine but I am planning to change the technique to perhaps putting my finger over the pipe, which also has worked for me in the past before I was told about the pinching thing. The weather conditions don't really allow me to find a place to run right now unless I run it in the salt covered roads, so I have not had an opportunity to try some of the suggestions yet, but I am planning to go out searching for a relatively clean and packed down place to run this weekend. This was I can experiment. I have also heard that the reach of plugs can be different from brand to brand, could this be an issue as well? Kyosho plug for this car is made by GS. Your thoughts??
Old 01-23-2007, 01:52 PM   #9
RCC Expert Contributor

how you shut the car down can blow plugs, I had never had it happen to me before either, until i got my 10th scale gas truck, and if it ran out of gas, ie. ran lean just before it quit, it would burn the plug out almost every time, I would try either stoping the flywheel, if your at a low idle you can use your thumb, it doens't hurt as it will shut it down basically instantly, just make sure its at a low idle, and not reving up at all, and make sure your thumb is pointing in the direction of rotation, so it doens't jam, or try plugging the exhuast, rather than pinching the line,

I've also had really good luck with MC59 plugs in basically every engine I've ever owned, so you could try them,
bobf24 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-23-2007, 02:03 PM   #10
RCC Expert Contributor

If you could describe the plug condition it would help on pin pointing the problem.
Is the coil deformed, what color is the bottom of the plug etc..

If compression is to high you will have a deformed coil. Check that and let us know

Niagara R/C Offroad
Niagara R/C Indoor (carpet)
Niagara R/C Indoor Offroad
Niagara R/C Hobbies
matt2 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.