RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Car & Truck discussion General Discussion about R/C topics

Closed Thread
Old 01-25-2007, 06:28 AM   #1
rockin johny
RCC Contributor

Total Props: 0
Tower Hobbies

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Anyone here ever buy from Tower Hobiies? If so, was the service good? Any hidden fees when shipped to Canada.

rockin johny is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 01-25-2007, 07:22 AM   #2
RCC Contributor
I am: Derek R

Tower Hobbies.

I found thier shipping rates to be very high.
Also, you will be responsible to pay the customs fees when you pick the item up.
Postal customs charges are $5 plus GST and PST on the value of the order.
UPS customs charges are morel like 40% of the value of the order, freakin crooks, lol.

Anyhow, you might want to have a look at
They are Canadian and no customs BS.
They also have pretty good prices.
Doc is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-25-2007, 07:27 AM   #3
RCC Expert Contributor

horrible,will never use them again.ordered a part for a tamiya-took over a month and a half.had to pay $21 for shipping and an extra $40.00 when the part arrived(when the part was only $64.99)for border transfer fees and taxes.they use ups,who i also reccomend staying away from.
i have ordered more than a few times from horizon hobby and am yet to have a problem.packages are at my door in 3 days or less,shipping is cheap.they also use ups but for some reason shipping is half of towers price and 10 times faster.
Wizzle is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:23 AM   #4
rockin johny
RCC Contributor

Good to know. I hate dealing with UPS as well. Unfortunately, Great Hobbies does not have the Mini kit I want to get for my son. Any other Canadian sites to deal with?

rockin johny is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-25-2007, 08:27 AM   #5
RCC Supreme Contributor

I have delt with Tower hobbies. There good if your ordering say like more than $400 worth cause it still cheaper than here. I once ordered a plane and it was missing a piece, I had the replacement piece at my door in 2 days. Its not worth ordering anythything small cause in the end you will pay to much in B.S. fees. As for the shipping, it usually takes a good 4-5 weeks to receive what you order. I have found that If you really want/need something you can find it on ebay or even here on this sight.
imported_RC-SUPERMAN is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:11 PM   #6
RCC Contributor

Tower can be hit and miss when it comes to their pricing. The price on some things make it worth ordering from them, and on others, not so mcuh unless it's something you can't find here.

Also, if you have a choice of how they'll send something, pick USPS (postal service) and not UPS. That's where the deal breaker can be. If something is sent by USPS, it'll come by Canada Post which has a lower handling fee ($5) vs UPS ($40).

Not sure what you're looking for but you can also try
They don't have a huge selection but they do have some nice stuff.

They've got great service and I have yet to pay any duties on a shipment from them. Faster than Tower too.
Any landing you can drive away from, is a good landing
Flyingblind is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:37 PM   #7
RCC Junior Contributor

i have ordered from tower hobbies and they give me great shipping fees like 10 dollars because im a member of course. Every item i have ordered arrived within two and half weeks havent paid custom fees yet even for ups i havn`t pay a cent in custom fees.

i find they are awesome
Warhead bashing
Warheadman is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:44 PM   #8
RCC Pro Contributor

I support my local hobby shops but when they can't get what I am looking for, I turn to mail order.

Make sure you don't use UPS (you will get be charged extra fees).
Use USPS (US Postal Service) instead.

Ask them to make "Model Toy Car Parts" on the parts so that you don't pay duty (no duty on Toys).

MUSTGOFASTER is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:36 PM   #9
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: John Summach

Use USPS air mail service for mail. For UPS, if it is not a huge item, get a quote for 3 day select, Expedited or Express as the brokerage charges are included in the price and you'll have it fast. I found has good prices and service.
Great Hobbies - Team Durango

"Almost Live Race Coverage":

"Finding Your Dream Home"
johnnyboy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 01-26-2007, 06:18 AM   #10
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Oskar K

When i lived in the USA, i used Tower quite a bit, because they were cheap, but since i moved back up to Canada, i've noticed their shipping is too much, so I havent bothered, I just stick to Ebay
"With the lights out its less dangerous..."- Nirvana

Ozzker is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.