what got you started in RC? - Page 2 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Car & Truck discussion General Discussion about R/C topics

Closed Thread
Old 02-15-2007, 08:32 PM   #11
Mr X
RCC Master Contributor
I am: sir rcalot

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
when i was 5 i went to a show where they had r/c cars racing. i saw nitro touring and saw electric buggies go on the same onroad track. i still remember that nitro smell and when i can to canada my friend showed me hobbyhobby and a few years later i got myself a tamiya tl01.
Mr X is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 02-15-2007, 08:42 PM   #12
RCC Master Contributor
I am: Ron P
# of RCs: 120

I started by going to the Hobby show in Burlington, they had rc car racing. I begged my dad to buy me a car, It took all day, but finally convinced him to buy me one from Booth's Hobbies, he made promise him that I wouldn't get tired of it on a week. I wanted a Grasshopper, but they were all sold out, so I ended up with a Marui Hunter. Then I got a Hotshot, a Turbo Scorpion, and started racing at Rattlesnake Speedway in '86. Then my first job was working at Booth's hobbies....and the rest is history....RC10's JRX2..OptimaMid...still have every car I ever owned except one...over 50+ cars now plus planes and boats ...and still collecting

Since we are reliving memories Here's a list of tracks from days gone by.. http://www.offroadrc.ca/showthread.php?t=1007
Rattlesnake Speedway
Vintage r/c car collector

Ron Prinzen
Ron_Prinzen is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-15-2007, 08:55 PM   #13
RCC Expert Contributor

it was grade 8 and i met Mr_x. i was into hotrods and he was all about RC. we got to be pretty good friends and i saw his B3 for a short run, and then he got an LD3 and i said "thats it ! im getting one." So grade 9 i got my RS4 3 Evo for my 1st RC and i took 1 wheel to skool to show everyone. I played with it so much un class that my hands got really sticky from the tire. Now, its a tradition to bring a wheel to skool (i know how to spell 'school') every time i get a new kit ! So it just started growing from there. i soon got the Savage, then MRS4, then M18 and now RS4 3 because i love my Evo so much. btw, im always looking for cheap RS4 3's (all: RS4 3, type SS, Evo, 18ss). soon i want to get a new Firestorm, or get a 1:1 car on the road. il see when i get to the descision point.
imported_gremlin_390 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-15-2007, 09:13 PM   #14
RC devil
RCC Senior Contributor

the thing that realy got me in to nitro was that little xxx nt of offroaders that was when i was like 7 or 8 8,1/2 was when i struck my first rc under the christmas tree then i traded the ofna lx comp that i got for a rc18mt and then for my b-day i got the savage 25 ss now the savy is my best running rc im hoping for a baja b5 for my bithday in july :GRIN: :GRIN: :GRIN: :GRIN:
savage.26 4 sale or trade 4 brushless sysyem for 1/8 scale buggy
savage xl
kypsho 7.5 project brushless
RC devil is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-15-2007, 09:21 PM   #15
RCC Master Contributor

Started with simple RCs such as Tyco and radio shack stuff... Eventually got a traxxas stampede when I was 13... Then just bought more and more...
Tamiya TRF501x
Tamiya TRF415MSX
Mugen MBX5R/Prospec
Axial SCX10
Hpi baja 5b
Tamiya Mini m03
26cc 70" phantom boat
imported_rcguy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-15-2007, 09:25 PM   #16
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: Earl A.

Total Props: 1
I've been a model airplane nut all my life. Started out with control line stuff when I was in grade school like about grade 5 or 6 as I recall.

Wow, that was like 35 years ago!!!

Got my 1st R/C plane when I was in about grade 7 or 8. Never went anywhere with that and then I discovered girls.

Things went kind of dormant until the late 80's when I got back into planes whole hog both nitro and electric. Still have all the stuff plus a bit more. Never did get my wings though and crashing was such a heartbreak that again it all fell by the wayside. Well that, plus a marriage and then kids!!!

Cars came along when my son Cameron was about 4 (He is 7 now.).I figured I could buy a used hobby grade electric vehicle for about the same $$ as a toy store special, but that I would be way ahead. We bashed that together (him sitting between my legs running the steering and me the throttle at first, eventually ending up with us taking turns driving!!) which got a little tired until we found out about Sid's the middle of last summer.

And the rest they say is history...........

Having a ball now at Sid's spending quality time with my eldest son and some of the finest folks I have ever met. Looking forward to another great season and getting my 3-1/2 year old going as well.

Narly1 is online now   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-15-2007, 09:27 PM   #17
RCC Junior Contributor

i am 20 and i started as soon as i could hold the car i drove it. they wer the tamiya super champ http://www.vintagercweb.com/super_champ.html
and the big bear buy Kyosho i think
mugen mbx5-t prospec x2
wheely king rockcrawler
axial scorpion
revo 3.3 racer
Savage Axiol 28 3 speed(that has been 2 hell and back and wants more)
Rc18t Momba Comp X
micro mini-t
tamiya Mo3-M
tamiya TG-10
offroadjr is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-15-2007, 09:31 PM   #18
RCC Contributor

It first started when playing baseball on the schoolyard in grade 6. A guy came in with a nitro car and that was that. I started with a grasshopper and the a TQ10. I lost interest for a few years but now I am back with a vengence.
Losi 8ight-T2.0 | Losi 8ight-B | Associated TC5 | Losi Micro T
Team Fat Racing
mytruckluvesgas is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-15-2007, 09:38 PM   #19
RCC Master Contributor

Thumbs up

My first RC was a SuperChamp got it in the mid 80's still have it don't use it anymore since you can't buy spare parts for it anymore but it's a classic.
imported_offroader is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 02-15-2007, 10:02 PM   #20
RCC Senior Contributor

I used to watch racing at an old RC track in brampton, it was just off dixie, they used to race rc10 onroads there.

I also remember going to a monster truck race in the stated in the late 80's early 90's

back then a mignight pumpkin was the sh it
imported_james22ca is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.