what got you started in RC? - Page 5 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Car & Truck discussion General Discussion about R/C topics

Closed Thread
Old 04-06-2008, 09:05 PM   #41
RCC Pro Contributor

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Originally Posted by NiGHTSHoCKeR View Post
well it all started in grade 7 when my friend showed me his Kyosho raider and it was ripping up the dirt. a few days later i bought it for $90.00. that is how i got started.
Nice to see another that started with the Kyosho Raider....

Peterborough Monster R/C Club
"Practice does not make perfect, practice makes Permanent! Do it right or don't do it at all!"
Crafty is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-07-2008, 02:15 PM   #42

Long time coming.....

When I was about 10yrs old my neigbour,who was about 17-18 had a 1/10 Losi buggy.Me being just a New Bright driving kid,just thought it was the most crazy thing ever.That experience stayed in the back of my mind,I'll be 26 this year and I just got my first truck last season.......and I am NEVER getting out of this hobby!!!!!!!!!!!
  Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-07-2008, 02:33 PM   #43
RCC Junior Contributor
I am: Wes

About 8 years ago, I saw a 1:5th onroad exhibition/race on Yonge street during the Street Festival. I was given business cards for some local shops like John's and Advance. First car was an HPI nitro mini... It had a .15 and a 2 speed and it blew me away
imported_wes is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-07-2008, 04:22 PM   #44
RCC Contributor

My addiction all started about 2 years ago my dad has always had nitro control line planes and such but he'd always wanted to try nitro RC well he went out and met some people that were in to it and then met our buddy tim who owns our LHS that we both frequent heck we go over to their place for dinner sometimes lol. anyways back on track he started with an ofna Hyper 7 then bought a nitro FT TC3 still having the hyper 7 around I drove the hyper 7 first have always liked buggies from then on then after that he sold them both and bought his savage which he still has about a year later he bought an MGT he's since sold that and now we both own savages his is a .25 with some upgraded shocks and an MX3 mine is a Savage SS with a .28SH P3 and a JR XS3
TTR S3 with OS21RG and lots of bling
Venom micro resue heli
all parts by Rad Toyz RC Hobby Shop
^^ my feedback (please post all feedback there)
imported_MT2_18SS is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:22 PM   #45
RCC Senior Contributor

I was around 11 and my Dad came home with a Hornet one Friday evening ,he sat at the kitchen table until it was finished ,he did the pre run check and handed me the controller . need less to say I hid what was left of the buggy until I got a paper route to fix it so he would never find out .Now my son is in to the hobby and I'm still breaking our RC cars
-Losi 8ight
-Team Associated B4

-HotBodies VE8
-Team Associated B4.1
-FT Team Associated SC10
imported_tire_tec is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-07-2008, 08:27 PM   #46
RCC Pro Contributor

I have to credit my older Brother for that ! Back in 68 when I was six, one of his teachers gave him an "049" engine and eventually he started making "U" control planes and that progressed to a 60 size powered rc plane that he promply crashed !
His workmanship always dazzled me.
Him and his bad- friends made some wicked stuff, when someones U control plane got too beat-up they would cover it with gas, light er up and fly it into the side of the school wall !

I still remember seeing that first 049 and how cool it was and my Bro saying "Ya, it`s like a lawn mower engine, look at the little gas tank"

A snowmobile, that was my first RC, made it myself... 1980.
Mugen Seiki Racing - Team Driver
SkyCraft Hobbies - Burlington
2010 & 2009 RC Pro Nitro Buggy Champion, Ont.
2010 Glorcs Buggy 3rd
2010 Glorcs Truggy 5th
JordanAK is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:33 PM   #47
RCC Pro Contributor
I am: John Summach

I was watching the old Tamiya promo videos at Leisure World in the Burlington Mall back in like '84 and thought they were sooooo cool. My dad got me a Marui Big Bear (I still have it) in '85 and then I wanted a Frog really bad but couldn't afford it so I got a Hornet. Raced the Hobby Show that year and was obsessed until I got into Mountain Bike racing in the early 90's. Got back into it after a friend told me about Sid's and Sean let me drive his car for a few laps when I stopped by to check it out. Now I am obsessed again...haha.
Great Hobbies - Team Durango

"Almost Live Race Coverage": www.johnnyboy.ca

"Finding Your Dream Home":www.burlingtonliving.ca
johnnyboy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:12 AM   #48
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Sean H

my big plan

that was and still is part of my big plan. it's all about letting people try what you have.

for Kids,
I let them steer while I do the throttle. this way, they won't ram anything. I have hooked many very young drivers onto the RC hobby. many of then still come to Sid's.

when it came to John, it was interesting. he was telling me about how he used to race with Mike Gremek when they were about 11/12 yrs old. That gave me the confidence to let him try my xx4 after/during a club race. Actually I think that that was the day when John drove to Hobby Hobby to get a bearing for Steve's B4. anyway, John was an awesome driver that day and my big plan from the beginning was to get him hooked.

Hey John, don't tell your wife it was my fault, (unless your in distress and you really need to!!! ha ha I can take it!>)

so all of you out there with an old xx or bk2 or b3 or whatever, bring it to Sid's when you come to practice and put a super slow motor in it. bring some old nimh batteries charged and get it into the hands of a new person. let's see if we can get 30 new people into Electric racing this year. I say we should start a list of new, or "born again" RC hobbyists to keep tracks of the growth. this is the future.

who do you know that would likely get hooked on the great, fun, clean hobby????
samboneecanada is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:40 AM   #49
RCC Pro Contributor

A used Tamiya Hornet with stick controller for me back in the late 80's I think. Been through electric,nitro and gas cars/trucks. Still loving every minute of it. Now it's even better with the forums and getting together for bashes!
Elcon Cleon w/air brakes
imported_SELWA is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.