sts d30 nitro monster truck engine. - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Car & Truck discussion General Discussion about R/C topics

Closed Thread
Old 03-19-2007, 09:16 AM   #1
RCC Expert Contributor

Total Props: 0
sts d30 nitro monster truck engine.

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
well, i finished the break in on this engine this weekend and thought i woulds share my experiences and thoughts of it for anyone considering it.
i paid $177.00 cad by the time it got to my door.
i bought it off ebay from sts-pro_net.

well to start off i must say sts does a good job on the overall presentation of the comes in a nice box, bubble and shrink wrapped with an included decal sheet.
once i took it apart the engine overall it is very well made with the same quality abc construction as other engines ive had.
i broke the rotostart unit on this engine on the first start up attempt.
they give a real poor quality rotostart unit with this engine due to brittle gears.
this was fixed by swapping to gears and shaft from an axial rotostart unit.
secondly the throttle linkeage is poor in design (too shallow)and the set screw was off centered so i also replaced that with an axial part.
break in is bullshyt on this engine because the manufacturer reccomends an 1.5-2 gallon break involves heat cycling the engine and removing shims and re-tuning once you get to the 3/4 gallon mark.
the first 3/4 gallon is very boring but after that you really start to see some power.even at 3/4 gallon when the engine is running at half of its actual power it is still more powerfull than the axial 32 it was replacing.
after removing all the shims and finishing off around 1.5 gallons this engine started running alot cooler allowing for a leaner tune and crasy power.
at around 1.75 gallons this engine started breaking driveshaft pins and was driving down the street on the is very good on fuel(15 min of hard driving on a full lst tank)
the bottom end is similar to an axial 32 but much more powerfull and snappier out of the hole.
the midrange to top end is where this engine seems as if the engine wouldnt stop reving when i opened it up in a straight line.
it made my mostly alloy lst with heavy big joes pull wheelies when changing into 2nd gear and definitly was faster in the top end than any engine ive ever had.

i must say that if you dont want to spend alot of money and have patience to make a couple repairs to weak spots on the external accesories, this is by far hands down the fastest engine you will buy for less than $350.00
i have read on several forums that others are having great success with this engine and are easily reaching the 8 gallon marks already.
for under $200 canadian this is the best deal in rc right now
Wizzle is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:01 AM   #2
RCC Expert Contributor

my dad's got one of these for his truggy, the included one way for the rotostart is garbage, not a big deal for him thgouh since he is using a bump box now, but he used it a couple times until i had the bump box set up for the truck, and after one tank the one way started slipping bad, good engine other than that so far thgouh,
bobf24 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:24 PM   #3
RCC Junior Contributor

I heard lots of great stuff, i just ordered a .28 for my revo. Cant wait to get it and break it in.
PeterG is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.