New to Nitro R/C Questions - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Offroad RC Discussion RC Offroad chat for truggies, buggies, short-course and more. Topics may include brands like Associated, Kyosho, Tamiya, Axial, Traxxas and more.

Closed Thread
Old 04-01-2007, 08:52 PM   #1
RCC Noob

Total Props: 0
New to Nitro R/C Questions

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hey Everyone, im new to the Forums and to Nitro R/C in general and i have a couple questions for everyone. 2 of my friends just recently got Jato's (one was a 2.5 and one was a 3.3) well im buying a Jato3.3 coming up very soon and i wana get everything right.

I noticed with my friends new Jato 3.3 it seems his stock engine is running a little bit too rich, is it good to break in the engine with richened fuel and then lean it a bit after that? or can i lean it right from the start?

How often should i clean and re oil the air filter.

When should i use After Run oil? ( i know its a stupid sounding question, but i have heard a lot of different suggestions)

What parts are going to be burning out on me fast? I plan on buying RPM A arms right away as well as getting a couple "evil blue wire" and 1 or 2 spare glow plugs, and a spur gear.

Anyways thats all i can think of off the top of my head, but any noob R/C information would be much appreciated =)

Thank in advance.

Etobicoke Toronto Ontario
Hogie is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 04-01-2007, 10:13 PM   #2
RCC Senior Contributor

i have never owned a traxxas b4 but i would stick to the manual for break in due to warranty reasons but yes the most common way is to stay rich for a few tanks let eveything "seat" then lean out for preformance.there are also other way such as the heat cycling or full throttle break in but for a newb stick to the manual for above stated reason.rpm arms well lets just say that company excists because of traxxas glow plugs are a very good choice and rechargable batts for the car.clean the air filter more often if your running in dusty conditions but you can use common sense on that one if it looks real dirty after a day then clean with nitro fuel and oil or just replace.after run oil is used after the days use or once a week totaly up to you and some fuels already have this in it like backyard basher fuel good luck and have fun
gws p51d
gws beaver
hobbico superstar ep
eflite t-34
mini bcx
blade cx
mini lst-mamba 25
rs4 mt 4wd racer
all controlled spektrum
imported_connected15 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-01-2007, 10:22 PM   #3
RCC Expert Contributor

i think your spair parts list is excellent. I dont go by the book for the air filter, i clean em as i sees em. if its very dirty, clean it and if it looks ok its probably ok (instructions for my HPIs say to clean them every 5 tanks.) For break-in you could go by the instruction book, or you can follow this link (thanks to Mugenman for posting this ):

good luck dude !
imported_gremlin_390 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:04 AM   #4
RCC Pro Contributor

and here's some awesome reference material for you to look back on. I printed some of these out when I first got going. I learned the spit method long before I ever got a temp gun.
Pipeous is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:41 AM   #5
RCC Contributor
I am: Derek R

I always clean each air filter proir to a session of running. When your are done for the day, drain the fuel from your tank then run the motor until it burns all of the fuel out of the line. Then you can use after run on the motor.

Another thing that you might was to consider is purchasing a tempature gauge. Check the tempature of your engine every few minutes to make sure that you are keeping it in the recomended zone. Leaning it out will make the temps go up, so by keeping it in the zone, you will not cook your engine prematurely.
Doc is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:57 AM   #6
RCC Contributor

It never hurts to clean the filter more often. I would also recommend installing a fuel filter. Use a good glow igniter that is either a sub-c (I upgraded the battery to a 3300mah) for extended start times. Run out the engine after you are finished for the day, spray down the engine with Nitro-cleaner and then oil. Make sure that the engine is clean around the carb and glowplug.
Always a good idea to have parts on hand. Arms, spur gears, glow plugs, hinge pins, etc. I would also think of maybe an upgraded radio package depening on what comes withit and what your friends have. If you are planning on running with them or in a group,then make sure the xtals are different
Losi 8ight-T2.0 | Losi 8ight-B | Associated TC5 | Losi Micro T
Team Fat Racing
mytruckluvesgas is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-02-2007, 02:12 PM   #7
RCC Noob

Haha, yes we already found that out the hard way. Both them had Blue censors and they got all messed up. My car comes in on Thursday and the guy at the store told me that he would switch it to w/e color i wanted and since my friends have red and blue.. ill take w/e eles.

One thing a friend told me about is that in the Traxxes manual it says that only Traxxes makes the 3.3 engine so you should only break in the engine like Traxxes says too. Now, personally if i owed Traxxes i would put that in my manual too...... but...... realistically what is better to do? Should i break it in to factory spec? or should i break it in like the above links say. To me the above links make much more sence in a real motor prospective, but then again, R/C cars might be different and i dont know too much about them yet.

Ok so couple other quick questions:

Run out the engine after you are finished for the day, spray down the engine with Nitro-cleaner and then oil
Im assuming i can get Nitro-cleaner at any Hobby shop, but what kind of oil are you talking about? At my work (kitchen) we spray down our burners with just cooking oil at the end of the night to prevent rush and what not.... is this what you mean?

Make sure that the engine is clean around the carb and glowplug.
Can i get a can of compressed air for this?

Another thing that you might was to consider is purchasing a tempature gauge
Ive read up on on board lcd temp gauges, what kind of price would i be looking into for this? I read up about the spit method and ill prob have to be using that for my break in. If i can't get my hands on a temp gun i don't think i will have any sort of real temping for a while, and i think ill have to use the factory break in since i really don't want to over head my engine.

Anyways thanks so much for the information so far everyone, it has been very helpful
Hogie is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 04-02-2007, 02:41 PM   #8
RCC Expert Contributor
I am: Andrew

The factory settings for the Jato 3.3 are put in the manual for good reason. Follow them properly. Not all engines are the same. Some need to be 4 1/2 turns out and some 3 1/2. You need to follow the manual.

You can use whatever fuel brand that fits your needs. However, you will void the warrenty on the engine if you DON"T use Traxxas Top Fuel. I don't use it because that is my prefferance. As long as you follow what the manual says, you won't have any problems during your break-in.(And yes, lean it out after your 5 tanks are done....but by small incriments at a time)

Just sharing my success with the Jato 3.3, as i have first hand expierience with this model. So good luck and enjoy pure speed!

P.S Canned air will work fine, and the spit method is proven. Warning, use caution when buying VENOM Temp/failsafe....It is very glitchy. Also, he is refering to After-Run oil which you can get really cheap at any hobby store
My 3.3 Jato
RC Driver Magazine Showcase Beauty.
Tamiya M03M
Mini-T-C4 Team Bluegroove
Mugen MBX5T
Dufferin RC- New!
jatofan69 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.