Help for a Girl Brand New to RC Racing ?!?!? - Page 3 - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
General RC Car & Truck discussion General Discussion about R/C topics

Closed Thread
Old 05-17-2007, 03:01 PM   #21
RCC Noob

Total Props: 0

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Wow, tonnes of stuff!! and the great thing is that it is always here for my reference.

I was thinking maybe I should go straight to nitro. I guess I will have to see them in action and in the store before I really make a choice.

As for all the benefits, I think of all of the ones listed and they all make sense. Also hands on experience on "fixing" stuff and using tools is great too. Just like video games except for the social part!

I just spent $230 on 8 weeks of horse riding lessons, so the cost of a RC car does not seem so bad.
jennifer_leia is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:10 PM   #22
RCC Contributor
I am: trevor s

AND ITS A LOT MORE FUN if you have any questions or concerns, feel free to pm me and i will do my best to help u out
Revo w/ one-of-a-kind custom built rollcage
Stampeder21 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:38 PM   #23
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: James G

I have been burning nitro for over 3 years now, my 14 year old son loves to play with the gas trucks, but he got really excited when he got to try out a Traxxas Rustler, this is a great little starter vehicle, lots of speed and not no hard on the wallet, the main reason why this hobby is so expensive is because of the start up cost.

for electric you need a vehicle, batteries, charger, if running electric you need min 2 batteries per vehicle, as run times run from 10 to 15 min depending on the quality of the batteries.

for the gas trucks you need the vehicle, batteries, fuel, glow igniter, some trucks use electric start so you would need a battery and a charger for that as well

Traxxas is a well know name and has been in the business for a long time, parts are ready available and for a reasonably price. 2 good starter trucks are the Rustler and the Stampede, both come compleat assembled, you just need to add batteries and away you go

you can look at Traxxas page here
You can drive a fast truck slow, but you can't drive a slow truck fast!

My photo album
imported_lunytune is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-17-2007, 03:51 PM   #24
RCC Pro Contributor

well i love my rc18t it is really strong use it in small places faster then radio shack trucks longer running

it comes rtr = ready to run around 270 stock
stock is fun for a while but when he gets in to it more he can buy a mamba system for it witch is a motor combo for a round 120 bucks then you will get it going around 40mph? i love it and have been in the hobby for 4 years or more

the rc18t is the small truck under the big truck i didnt have any other pic

lmk if this helps
imported_offroaders is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:02 PM   #25
Art Vandelay
RCC Senior Contributor

I'm not sure if this will help you, but I've started a R/C beginner's blog.

R/C Blog

I was in the hobby back in 1988, and then my child-size budget evaporated and I'm only new again to it this past year (last couple of months). I'm trying to keep it updated and somewhat interesting and maybe you can take "some" information from it.

Hope it helps; it has a few links and pictures to useful information, just start at the beginning post and work upwards.

AE RC10B4 - JConcepts BJ4WE
Art Vandelay is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:29 PM   #26
RCC Master Contributor

Originally Posted by Stampeder21
hey jen, dont bother going into electric as a starter, go straight to the nitro!! i would suggest buying something like an HPI Firestorm from Hobby Hobby to share between your two boys. the cost including taxes for just the car is 380 dollars, and including taxes the car + one gallon of fuel, a glow ignitor (it is used to start the engine), a fuel bottle, and twelve batteries (for the radio equipment) is about 475 dollars cad.

hope you have fun getting your boys into this hobby, as it is one that will last for life.
Who are you ??? Did you not read the post from the start ??
Her son is 7 years old ??? Nitro is not a good place to start for that age. Let alone the limited areas that the vehicle can be used safely.

And yes, i am a father of a 9 year old who does race.
Bdegan2 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:49 PM   #27
RCC Supreme Contributor

Start off in Electric. Yes they can be just as much fun as Nitro. Its all a matter of opinion. A 7 year old will not be able to tinker. adjust, fix, rebuild, tune, maintain a nitro. Start off with a tamiya Kit, build it with them. Dont be scared to get a tamiya kit, they are very easy to put together. Building your own kit gives an understanding of how it works and will make it easy when repairs or adjustments are needed. You will get very frustrated with Nitro if you do not have an experienced RC'r with you. Go electric. Here are some suggestions.Me my 7 year old and my 5 year old have enjoyed the RC's since before they could walk. It has made me the "best dad in the world" , dont beleave me....Just ask them.
Below is a list of some great starters and great racers. Just Google them and you can get lots of info.
Tamiya Hornet
Tamiya TT01
Tamiya Blazing Star
Tamiya Baja
Duratrax Evader (not a kit, but a great rc)
Tamiya mo3
tamiya mo4
Tamiya Gravol Hound
Tamiya TLO1
Associated TC4 ( not a starter but easy to build and awsome)
Associated B4 (great racer, easy buil)
Losi xxxt (great racer, easy buil)
Im sure there is lots more too.
Go to for lots of info and to get an idea of pricing, Just remember the prices are in U.S. funds.
imported_RC-SUPERMAN is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:59 PM   #28
RCC Junior Contributor

hey! whatever you decide, remember, that although it is a big investment, if after a week, month or year(s) your kids lose interest, you will still recoup about %50 of the cost. You don't get your money back from the horse riding lessons!!

Anthony Team Melanga Racing #001
Sakuraba is King

Whips - JQ The Car #99 le

Losi micro-t stock
imported_roots is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-17-2007, 05:34 PM   #29
RCC Supreme Contributor
I am: Brian Belanger

Total Props: 1
I agree with the above - start with electric.
If you want something cheap to buy, cheap to set up and cheap to fix, I would personally suggest the RC18T, simply because the cost of the kit is low, the parts are ON THE SHELF in several hobby shops, the parts are almost unbelievably cheap, they're easy to drive, they're small, quiet and suprisingly resilliant and relatively uncomplicated. These are by no means crap, either. Very tuneable, pretty well built.. and oh yeah... RTR (ready to run) means you don't have to learn how to build models before you can try your hand at it. By the way, you can also fart around in the house with these - 18th scale!
There is also some racing available for these locally, although not as popular as 10th electric or 8th nitro. I could be wrong, but I believe Big Boys With Cool Toys still has a track for these in their shop, and Niagara Indoor Offroad ran them all last winter season, and will likely run them again this winter.
Once the kids get the hang of running one of these around obstacles and either show a strong interest or lack of interest, you can decide what to do: sell it, keep it, or whatever. The best part is selling off used equipment in this region is very easy - just see the buy and sell section.
Whatever you decide, though, don't let a salesman give you a sales pitch at any of the hobby shops. Most of the guys are pretty good, but theres a couple I'd be weary of.
There is one other aspect of R/C you have to get in touch with that wasnt mentioned - that would be tools. Paying to fix your R/C costs a lot of money. Its far cheaper to buy some tools and repair them yourself. Theres plenty of available help both here and all over the internet, and as well, ANYWHERE you find people gathering to run their cars, you're guranteed to find someone who will help you with your stuff.
Gump is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 05-17-2007, 05:41 PM   #30
Art Vandelay
RCC Senior Contributor

another vote for electric here (and my blog post also says the same ha).

additional to my personal bias, according to the original poster's submitted information, she is located near the hwy #9 track.

this indicates that she is also close to Sid's Raceway. therefore, going to Nitro would limit her track choices to only one of those tracks.

Electric seems to be the most-logical of choices, and will probably help provide a positive learning and social experience.

AE RC10B4 - JConcepts BJ4WE
Art Vandelay is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.