New to Nitro - Looking for recommendation on what to get - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Offroad RC Discussion RC Offroad chat for truggies, buggies, short-course and more. Topics may include brands like Associated, Kyosho, Tamiya, Axial, Traxxas and more.

Closed Thread
Old 06-29-2007, 05:28 PM   #1
RCC Noob

Total Props: 0
New to Nitro - Looking for recommendation on what to get

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Alright I'm new to the world of nitro and I'd like to get an RTR truggy or low ground clearance monster truck. I was wondering what you guys would recommend. It'll be used for mostly bashing but I will be taking it to the local track a couple times a month.

I was debatting about the following MT & Truggies
Losi 8T - Spectrum radio but EXPENSIVE
Losi Muggy
OFNA Jammin

Cheaper options
XTM Mammoth
Duratrax Warhead or Blaze ST
Kyosho Inferno ST-S

I'd love to get the 8T and be completely setup but for the price I could easily get a Duratrax Warhead and add a DSM radio for far less money. I'd like to spend less then 500 if at all possible (although if it's worth it for the Revo or Jammin, then I might spend that little extra).

Anyways some advice for a beginner would be nice.
dryankem is offline   Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 06-29-2007, 05:33 PM   #2
RCC Contributor

I would say lst2 all the way (it can be lowered), but a warhead, muggy or even a revo would do...the warhead looks good, but i would go with what ur local hobby shop carries as in if replacememnt parts are avaible often...If you wanted the 8ight-t, that would more of a racer than anything else...

but if really want the 8-t you could always go to ebay...
B4 -stealth
Fordzilla is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-29-2007, 05:38 PM   #3
RCC Junior Contributor

i was in the same boat a while back and bought the ST-US. dont do it. Its a mish mas of parts and its hard as hell to find upgrades for that will actually fit unless you convert it to an st-r.

Personally I'd recommend a revo as it'll take a beating more than the truggys and can be set to a pretty low ride height for truggy like handling. Plus parts are a cinch and you could go to stuff like the RPM arms to make it almost indestructable.
imported_[evo] is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:27 PM   #4
RCC Pro Contributor

REVO ....period
2-Brushless Kyosho Hang on Riders
revo converstion MMM powered
Brushless Gorillamaxx/Lipo powered
Portable Nazcar Track(is here)+ 15 BRP cars

Wizard is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:44 PM   #5
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Mike R.

Hey there chief. I've got the Losi Muggy and I love it. Comes witha great JR XR2i which is a good competition radio and also, dual steering servos and the big bore shocks let it just float around the track. I replace all servos and tires and engine and have won multiple races. Good luck with any purchase. It is nice to see more people get involved with this hobby.
hyper7boy is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:23 PM   #6
RCC Junior Contributor

i think the biggest thing for me when a guy says 'my first' is buying anything traxxas guarantees you the following

-ENGLISH manual, in full color. No google translations of stuff written in Japanese. This is GOLD. Reading manuals from any other company is like reading a technical drawing. Getting something well written and broken down properly is worth whatever you paid for the vehicle if you are new to it! Check this out : Revo Manual Kyosho manual (i couldt find an ST-US one, but trust me I have one its just as bad ) Plus, a great website filled with good resources

-EZ Start. If you are new to the hobby this is a huge bonus. No need to buy a Starter box, battery, ignitor , and another battery, plus two chargers. Get a 7.2 pack and a charger. Done.

-Tuning DVD. everybodys got a different way of explaining things, most you wont understand. Watching the DVD SHOWS you things, and leaves no room for interpretation. (i know it comes with 4-tec, i think most others too)

-Integrated Rx battery/charger on the revo. Why muck around, just plug it in and an hour later you're rolling

-Engine Replacement a year from now your motor breaks down...walk into the local hobby shop and hand over your old one to get a new one at 50% of the MSRP. Back up and running in no time.

If anyone i know EVER Wants to get into this, despite any help I can offer, I'll be reccommending a traxxas. Yeah the racers and hardcores will ** about the weight of the easy start but traxxas seems to be the only company that doesnt assume that just because you are buying a nitro you know everything about them. Very newbie friendly, I wish my first had been a traxxas it would have saved me some money in the long run A good first experience will ensure you enjoy the truck and come back for more. Fiddling about with half english tuning instructions and having it never run right after spending $300 on a starter box and battery and charger and god knows what else while your arm is still sore from pull starting will ensure you dont come back

Just My opinion of course
imported_[evo] is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:55 PM   #7
RCC Contributor

I have to go with Evo and Wizard on this one.
I have two in my garage and they are for the most part awesome.
Good for racing, good for some bashing and parts are easy to get (check your LHS)

They are also very easy to work on for a newbie.
"My Garage"
Savage / Axial 28
REVO 3.3

Mayhem Buggy 26
Phantom Offshore racer 33"
Blade CX2 Heli
imported_Sledder is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:57 PM   #8
RCC Contributor
I am: Eric Meola
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 5

Id scratch the warhead Look at even a aftershock and purchase a conversion kit. Or just go for a LST2, atleast you get the better shocks, motor, radio and the larger a-arms,cv,s, etc.
Go subaru!
ericem is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:29 PM   #9
RCC Pro Contributor

I will also vote for the Revo. It can be made very fast! We have a guy at our track that is consistently beating the Truggys with is Revo.

Peterborough Monster R/C Club
"Practice does not make perfect, practice makes Permanent! Do it right or don't do it at all!"
Crafty is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:30 PM   #10
RCC Contributor

I'd have to say Revo. great parts availability nice upgrades great truck for racing or bashing if set up right. I only tried one for a few laps around a small track but it was a blast and handled great
TTR S3 with OS21RG and lots of bling
Venom micro resue heli
all parts by Rad Toyz RC Hobby Shop
^^ my feedback (please post all feedback there)
imported_MT2_18SS is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.