Cleaning your truck. - RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum
RCCanada - Canada's Radio Control Hobby Forum
Offroad RC Discussion RC Offroad chat for truggies, buggies, short-course and more. Topics may include brands like Associated, Kyosho, Tamiya, Axial, Traxxas and more.

Closed Thread
Old 08-04-2007, 04:27 PM   #1

Total Props: 0
Cleaning your truck.

Remove this ad - become a site supporter!
Hey guys, I was wondering what other people are using to clean their trucks. Is break cleaner good? Can I use soap and water around the front and rear, keeping away from electronics of course. How about "spray 9" is that good? I'd like to try other methods.

Quick reply to this message.

Sponsored Links - Subscribe to remove this ad.
Old 08-04-2007, 04:32 PM   #2
RCC Pro Contributor

i just go with the
wd 40 meth

you dust off your truck with the conpressed air spray on the wd40 then blow it all off
imported_offroaders is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-04-2007, 06:23 PM   #3
RCC Apprentice

to clean my truck i use a toothbrush and qtips for the small areas.
XL-5RustlerGuy3 is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-04-2007, 07:32 PM   #4
RCC Contributor
I am: Derek R

Break cleaner is very bad. Some of them are corrosive and will melt the plastic and turn it white. Carb and throttle body cleaner is a very good alternative and costs 1/2 as much as nitro clean.

But, I buy the one gallon jug of heavy duty power wash detergent from Princess Auto for 12 bucks. Then I put it in a spray bottle and spray it on the chassis and let it sit for 20 minutes. Then, blow truck off with compressed air and the truck looks good as new. A gallon lasts me more than a season and is a very economical alterenative.
Doc is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-04-2007, 07:37 PM   #5
RCC Contributor

I personally use simpe green and cleaning rags just spray the simple green on let it sit for a few minutes then use a damp cloth to wipe it off keeps everything nice and clean and is a automotive degreaser so really good at getting off the oil and crap from nitro and also great for cleaning the mud and such off shocks

my .02 cents

and FYI Spray 9 is an electronics cleaner (I use it for cleaning off the contacts on my cards in my computer when I do a complete cleaning once every month) it's something that if you're into computers or other electronics it's invaluable to have for RC I can't really see a use not on a nitro anyways maybe an electric for cleaning deans connectors or something
TTR S3 with OS21RG and lots of bling
Venom micro resue heli
all parts by Rad Toyz RC Hobby Shop
^^ my feedback (please post all feedback there)
imported_MT2_18SS is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-04-2007, 07:46 PM   #6
RCC Expert Contributor

paint brush,,,air compressor then some tire shine for the plastics and tires looks like a show truck
Penny Racer with Air brakes(only one in Canada)
Paris Junction Hobbies/Morgan Fuels/Ebay
Better to be dead and cool, than alive and uncool
imported_RCcanuck is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:04 PM   #7
RCC Senior Contributor
I am: Derek T

I have tried all but the heavy duty power wash detergent (might look into that)

Brake cleaner did take some of the colour out of mine, and it made the air filter neck swell up. Never used that again. Only on the brake itself.

WD 40 is my preferd way. Hit the truck with the air compressor for the loose stuff, stiff bruch to knock even more off, air again. then WD 40, let it sat for ooohhhh 5min and then the air again, finish with a rag. Only takes about 20 min after a good day of eating dirt.

a toothbrush and qtips if you want it real clean.
Croozer is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:37 AM   #8

Thanks for the help guys. I guess the key is "compressor". Seems that everyone is using one. I was thinking of a method of cleaning the truck without dismantling it but looks like the safest way is to take the electronics off. Thanks for the info guys. Oh, but don't you want to stay away from degreasers? Wouldn't you risk the chance of degreasing the bearings if it comes on contact?
  Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:08 AM   #9
RCC Expert Contributor

hey guys i was wondering if i could use Carb and throttle body cleaner on my electric motors???? -Wes
A proud owner of a Stampede a.k.a. the little stampede that could

Traxxas E-maxx a.k.a. p-maxx(purple maxx)

imported_johndeerekid is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:06 AM   #10
RCC Contributor
I am: Eric Meola
Radio of choice:
# of RCs: 5

Id just use electronic cleaner.

I use throttle body and carb cleaner to clean my LST2 make the plastic side rails turn while and deform a bit. Same think happened to the gear box cover.....

For me I just rinse off the truck(not worried about my servos all servos are waterproof really, and my receiver box is pretty tight) then blow it off with comrpessed air then spray silicone lube all over. Makes it shine lubes and clean But for just light dust I just use compressed air no water.(also I plug my engine carb with a dust cover)
Go subaru!
ericem is offline   Quick reply to this message.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the RCCanada - Canada Radio Controlled Hobby Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

Member names may only be composed of alpha-numeric characters. (A-Z and 0-9)

!!ATTENTION ADVERTISERS!! If you intend on advertising anything on this forum, whatsoever, you are required to first contact us here . Additionally, we do NOT allow BUSINESS NAMES unless you are an Authorized Vendor. If you own a business, and want to do sales on this site via posting or private message, you will need to follow the rules. Shops, Stores, Distributors, Group Buys without being authorized will see your account terminated.
User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Your Name
Your first name and last initial is required if you plan on using the forum.
Which city & province you live in. This is mandatory for classified listings.
Radio of choice?
Which radio is your current favorite to use?
Number of RC Vehicles?
How many boats, cars, planes do you own?

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.